Jeans allowed?

BigIslandersFan

17 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

It’s not about how you look - it’s about how you behave and carry yourself.

I have not taken a cruise yet.   And I am trying to deecide between Oceania or Celebrity.

Are the comments on this thread representative of the kind of people that cruise on Oceania?  Issues around the dress code.  Specifically the wearing jeans at dinner in the Grand Dining Room?

Thank you.

Edited by Justalone

Topic is jeans allowed, but this thread has covered a lot more: behaviour, dress code, wealth  

Alfagee

I am sure there will be many passengers who will be welcoming. Enjoy your cruise. Happy cruising. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Justalone said:

Are the comments here on the Oceania forum representative of the kind of people that cruise on Oceania?

A small number I would guess. At least hope. 
i have met many wonderful friends from cc. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Justalone said:

I have not taken a cruise yet.   And I am trying to deecide between Oceania or Celebrity.

Are the comments on this thread representative of the kind of people that cruise on Oceania?  Issues around the dress code.  Specifically the wearing jeans at dinner in the Grand Dining Room?

Thank you.

Actually, I alternate between Celebrity and O and they are usually the lines I go to most often. I start with itinerary and timing (no cruises during ski season, holidays, and try to avoid Summer). This is how I typically start my search. If you avoid Holidays, Summer, and opt for longer cruises the demographic on both lines is very similar. No booze cruise, well mannered, well traveled, etc. Follow the rules on any cruise line and there should never be an issue. I have been on 30 cruises and have enjoyed all of them on a variety of lines.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

It’s not about how you look - it’s about how you behave and carry yourself.

I hope that's the case. But there are so many complaints in this thread about the way people look....it's hard to ignore the judgmental, superficial nature of the comments.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, alfagee said:

I hope that's the case. But there are so many complaints in this thread about the way people look....it's hard to ignore the judgmental, superficial nature of the comments.

I will tell you that you won't find many 60 yr old or older with pink hair, tattoos, and piercings. You may get a few strange looks and I am being very honest.  Your behavior and manners will be what majority will notice and assume you read the rules and adhere to them.  If you are truly concerned, you should have done your homework prior. Truly hope you have a wonderful time and meet many interesting people and visit great new places.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfagee said:

My hair is pink, I have piercings and tattoos, and I'll be celebrating my 60th birthday in the Spring on Marina.

Nah. My hair is pink also. I have one tattoo (my old dog now gone to her great reward, just ears pierced, and loving my 70s.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I will tell you that you won't find many 60 yr old or older with pink hair, tattoos, and piercings.

Well, we clearly travel in different circles 🙂  I do not care what the rest of the Oceania passengers think of me. I am quite comfortable in who I am and what I send out into the world.

I think a lot of folks on this board need to reflect on their posts here and perhaps keep a more open mind about people who don't dress the way they do or look the way they think they should look.

• Like 2

Just now, alfagee said:

Well, we clearly travel in different circles 🙂  I do not care what the rest of the Oceania passengers think of me. I am quite comfortable in who I am and what I send out into the world.

I think a lot of folks on this board need to reflect on their posts here and perhaps keep a more open mind about people who don't dress the way they do or look the way they think they should look.

75418840_2493956987347445_3272679347709804544_n.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alfagee said:

My hair is pink, I have piercings and tattoos, and I'll be celebrating my 60th birthday in the Spring on Marina.

I'm starting to feel like I may not be welcome. 

In retrospect maybe you aren't (weren't?) as rebellious as your Tattoo Artist, piercing parlor and Beautician thought you were.

Isn't life ironic?  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

In retrospect maybe you aren't (weren't?) as rebellious as your Tattoo Artist, piercing parlor and Beautician thought you were.

Isn't life ironic?  

I have no idea what you're trying to imply. Care to clarify? 

3 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Isn't life ironic?  

She certainly can credit whoever does her facials because she has lovely skin.

• Like 2

I find this a topic of great interest. Obviously society's perception of tattoos has changed over the years. They're pretty accepted in all social circles and demographics these days. In the era I grew up about the only people that had them were veterans of WWII, bikers & convicts. With the exception of veterans pretty much a lower socio-economic thing. Not so today. Most of the people my age or older grew up with this perception. 

Personally I think tattoos look dirty, but I've always felt that to each their own. I've certainly seen more obvious tattoos on Oceania in the last 4 or 5 years than in previous years. 

As far as the hair color goes, I've seen purple, bright red(unnatural color), pink, green, blue, and every shade of grey on Oceania. Pretty much exclusively on women, well except for the grey on men, but that's usually natural. I guess everyone can decide what image they want to project to the world. 

1 minute ago, alfagee said:

I'm projecting a woman who is comfortable in her own skin, confident in who she is and how she approaches the world, and happy to still be here and experience everything with an open, giving nature.

I think you just described majority of people on this board. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alfagee said:

I'm projecting a woman who is comfortable in her own skin, confident in who she is and how she approaches the world, and happy to still be here and experience everything with an open, giving nature.

Yet you "worried" enough to express concern in this thread that you might not be accepted.

I'm getting mixed messages.

Edited by StanandJim
  • Like 1

I said "I'm starting to feel like I may not be welcome." That's not about being accepted. 

It's about not feeling judged or looked down upon. No one wants that, no matter how confident and comfortable they are within themselves.

29 minutes ago, ORV said:

I find this a topic of great interest. Obviously society's perception of tattoos has changed over the years. They're pretty accepted in all social circles and demographics these days. In the era I grew up about the only people that had them were veterans of WWII, bikers & convicts. With the exception of veterans pretty much a lower socio-economic thing. Not so today. Most of the people my age or older grew up with this perception. 

Personally I think tattoos look dirty, but I've always felt that to each their own. I've certainly seen more obvious tattoos on Oceania in the last 4 or 5 years than in previous years. 

As far as the hair color goes, I've seen purple, bright red(unnatural color), pink, green, blue, and every shade of grey on Oceania. Pretty much exclusively on women, well except for the grey on men, but that's usually natural. I guess everyone can decide what image they want to project to the world. 

My youngest daughter snuck and got a tattoo when she was 16 on her lower back. I was appalled of course because I personally dislike them.  

My saving grace in all of that was the fact that when she is over 50, that tattoo won't be in the same place it started. Mom will have the last laugh one day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, dog said:

Interesting---"as we go down in fare..."  Take a look at the fares for my upcoming Oceania cruise on the Sirena Oct 4-14, 2020, category concierge A3. I would not expect this to be considered a low fare, or party cruise.

Where are these low fare Oceania cruises?  I might be interested in booking one.

I was referring to industry wide cruise fares.... start with Carnival..... or any one doing a 3-4 day cruise....   O's higher fares $500+ a day have an effect.     Cruise fares for $76 a day do too.

3 hours ago, alfagee said:

I'm starting to feel like I may not be welcome. 

I suspect  you choose to do all those things to get noticed...Why would you object if people stared ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hawaiidan said:

I suspect  you choose to do all those things to get noticed...Why would you object if people stared ?

You would suspect wrong. I have piercings and different colored hair because I like the way they look. I have tattoos to celebrate surviving cancer and coming through it happier and more centered.

And my Mom taught me that staring is rude. Didn't your Mom teach you that?

• Like 2