Jeans allowed?

BigIslandersFan

7 hours ago, ptiprof said:

How difficult is it for men to wear slacks andcollared shirts to dining venues in the evening? 

It is not a question of difficulty. These comments and other similar remarks are simply asking why I won’t conform to your personal sense of appropriate dress. If I pack jeans instead of slacks, it’s because I choose to do so and because they are permitted by Oceania. I will not sail Cunard or Seabourn because of their evening dress standards. And personally, I think that capri pants and sandals are far more casual than dressy jeans, but all of these items are allowed. Once again, ideas about appropriate dress and “good manners” are not immutable; times have changed, and dress styles are regional, cultural, and generational. 

You seem to be quoting me.

Did I ever mention anything about jeans of any kind?

I was saying that I do not wish to see T shirts or baseball caps in any evening dining venue.

Apologies accepted 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LHT28 said:

After  being on another cruise line recently  I would  say the GDR on Oceania is a suitable  title for it

The other was  just  a dining room  the low ceilings & cramped tables made it  so noisy  it was not enjoyable  to be there

Of course  it is just my opinion

For a reality check....Try  Holland America.....    Dining  is akin to a cross between a Nathans Hot dog eating contest feed and one of the Catskill resorts dining rooms.     Yes... I made  a recent error and took HAL.... sufficient  to say I am still receiving therapy from that " experience.    " Father, forgive me  I knew not what I was doing"

You have no idea  how good O is even in the depths of dining with the entitled and self absorbed      

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

You seem to be quoting me.

Did I ever mention anything about jeans of any kind?

I was saying that I do not wish to see T shirts or baseball caps in any evening dining venue.

Apologies accepted 😉

You mentioned “slacks” and the topic of this thread is jeans...  I do apologize if you were not objecting to nice jeans. 

17 minutes ago, ptiprof said:

I do apologize if you were not objecting to nice jeans. 

No problem 😀

I do not have strong opinions one way or another about ‘designer” jeans but I do have very strong opinions about T shirts in Jacques and other dining venues at night (Terrace excluded) as has been reported here on multiple occasions. That crosses a red line for me.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigIslandersFan said:

What about breakfast and lunch in the Terrace? Can you wear bathing suits if at the pool?

Good Lord! If they allowed bathing suits at Terrace, can you imagine sitting on the seat of the chair after someone's bare bum just left? Coverups are required on all cruise ships if I am not mistaken. Yuck!

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, BigIslandersFan said:

What about breakfast and lunch in the Terrace? Can you wear bathing suits if at the pool?

Oceania's code says tank tops and swimsuits are not allowed at any of the dining venues at any time, nor are bathrobes and sleep wear.  I believe that swimsuits are OK at the pool grill, Waves.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Good Lord! If they allowed bathing suits at Terrace, can you imagine sitting on the seat of the chair after someone's bare bum just left? Coverups are required on all cruise ships if I am not mistaken. Yuck!

Yes  I do believe they allow bathing suits if you are wearing a cover up.  And I would not want to eat in a wet suit anyway.  Some people should have a little common sense. I would hope.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, RJB said:

Yes  I do believe they allow bathing suits if you are wearing a cover up.  And I would not want to eat in a wet suit anyway.  Some people should have a little common sense. I would hope.  

Yes, with a cover up. Happy 2020 RJB

48 minutes ago, RJB said:

And I would not want to eat in a wet suit anyway. 

What about sitting on a wet chair in Terrace after someone in wet bathing suit was there before you (even with cover up, very few of which are waterproof).

Talk about yuck.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BigIslandersFan said:

No..... so swim stuff....   maybe  waves..  they have a breakfast bar...

Maybe  Carnival  would.............

I am sailing on Sirena as I write this and there is one couple who never seems to attempt to look neat or even vaguely nicely dressed.  The man has worn the same pair of old crumpled jeans and messy shirt every time I see him in the main dining room and has never been turned away. 

About ten years ago while on the Regatta the maitre came to my table in the MDR and quietly whispered that the style of my men's black leather shoes were not appropriate in the dining room.  I explained that they were specially made orthopedic shoes so he said that in that case he would make an exception.  If you want to see how the standard of dress has changed look down at the variety of sneakers and sandals that are now considered appropriate for smart casual.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, amusea said:

I am sailing on Sirena as I write this and there is one couple who never seems to attempt to look neat or even vaguely nicely dressed.  The man has worn the same pair of old crumpled jeans and messy shirt every time I see him in the main dining room and has never been turned away. 

About ten years ago while on the Regatta the maitre came to my table in the MDR and quietly whispered that the style of my men's black leather shoes were not appropriate in the dining room.  I explained that they were specially made orthopedic shoes so he said that in that case he would make an exception.  If you want to see how the standard of dress has changed look down at the variety of sneakers and sandals that are now considered appropriate for smart casual.  

The root cause for many  I think is a sense of entitlement.   People who spend much of their lives glued to electronic gizmos and are neither aware of  or care about other people.  It is not just on ships but in restaurants  airplanes... anywhere in public.    Self important and self absorbed... They live in their own world.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chodes123 said:

What about jackets for men at dinner?

personal call.....at specialty  yes...its a matter of dressing for the venue. out of respect for it and others who may be having a special dinner or romantic experience.   There is more to the world  than just you.

It  , to me is just good manners  to respect others over my wishes...   I was brought up that way.

So here is my take on dressing on Oceania..

Having been cruising on this cruise line since 2003 we all know since then the younger people have completely changed the mode of dress..In the beginning I was horrified and as the years have rolled on I understand they live their lives very differently as time passes..what we learned as young people about dress does not apply today so if you enjoy cruising as I do..I "try to go with the flow" 

I am not going to let how other people dress affect my great cruise..

Stu has not worn a jacket (or tie) in 10 years and he looks great in a pair of slacks a collared shirt and a sweater..we have eaten with the Captain many times and never felt under dressed..we are from California where casual rules..

So everyone should relax and enjoy your cruise and dress the way you are most comfortable..

JMHO

Jancruz1

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, drib said:

I think you're all looking for some fair and objective dress code standard. And you think it just doesn't exist ... but this is your luck day! I know of one.

It's called the Minnie Pearl Dress Code (MPDC) and it works like this. Leave all the price tags on your clothes, men and women alike, and when you enter a restaurant, the Maître d will evaluate your outfit in its entirety. If the total cost exceeds the Wearable Threshold Figure (*****), then you will be seated. If not, there's always the buffet and room service.

"Oh that will take forever," you say? No, because there will be an app for that. You can scan your tags in advance and the *****, for each outfit, will be saved to your on board account. One quick check on their computer, and they're going to do that anyway, and you will be seated.

A lot of people will say that this standard is unfair, but wait, there's more!

The ***** will be calculated as a percentage of the daily cost of your cabin - not counting included air, of course. So if you're in an Owners Suite, your ***** might be $200, but for someone in an Ocean View cabin, it might be only $50.

"I've been tearing off and throwing away the price tags for years," you say? Well fine, as long as they don't say "Under Penalty Of Law" (UPOL), but not to worry. You can have your outfit evaluated with Internet searches by the MPDC Dress Internet Concierge (MPDC-DIC) in advance at the Reception Desk

This is not just a Win for the OP, it's a Win, Win, Win, Win, Win. (The OP, other passengers, crew, Oceania, and App Programmers)

Would the price used in this calculation be the MSRP, or the price I paid on the 75% off rack?  EM

15 hours ago, drib said:

EM, it should be whatever is on the tag, so if the tag is not discounted, that's a break for you!

I don't know why they ****-ed out ***** - I checked it on the Basic Acronym Latency Lookup Service, and there was nothing wrong with it.

I know this is all in fun but still I think you should stop drinking the Kool Aid and put this to bed fast.   Happy New Year. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 10:24 AM, amusea said:

That seems downright insane to me...that he would question your "style" of leather shoes...did they appear to be sneakers? Goodness, I don't want to have to worry about the fashion police when dressing for dinner. I just want to relax and enjoy my cruise. 

• Like 1