parking for cruise

madill01

3 hours ago, madill01 said:

hi, taking a carnival cruise from Miami Feb 3 and am looking for a decent and reasonable place to leave our car, any suggestions please, thank you

Are you driving from Canada, if so we are using Brightline Train service,  Fort Lauderdale station to Miami station and Lyft from there to the port. The cost is $55.00 for 2 and it includes parking  Lyft tickets round trip. Visit their  website  gobrghtline.com 

2 hours ago, madill01 said:

hi we r from canada but staying in pompano beach and going on cruise from miami. there r so many places.just not sure which is best

thank u and happy new year

The Brightline option may interest you if staying in Pompano.  If you are going to drive to Poet Miami, then you need to park at the port, $22 per day.  Tons of break ins at the off-site parking and totally not worth it.  I'd do the Brightline package or park at the port and thats about it.

15 hours ago, hbe30 said:

Are you driving from Canada, if so we are using Brightline Train service,  Fort Lauderdale station to Miami station and Lyft from there to the port. The cost is $55.00 for 2 and it includes parking  Lyft tickets round trip. Visit their  website  gobrghtline.com 

Where do you park the vehicle if you use the brightline?  And the cost?

Edited by jkgourmet

35 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

Where do you park the vehicle if you use the brightline?  And the cost?

Brightline has a parking garage at the Fort Lauderdale station.  See their website:  https://www.gobrightline.com/routes-stations

For info on the port to cruise package check that out under Transportation to Cruise Ports section.

We found a Miami parking spot for $96 for the week at the Cultural Arts garage on SW 2nd. street that includes a free shuttle. Any idea on the safety of parking there? Brightline does seem like an option too.

Thanks

Tony

42 minutes ago, disneykins said:

We found a Miami parking spot for $96 for the week at the Cultural Arts garage on SW 2nd. street that includes a free shuttle. Any idea on the safety of parking there? Brightline does seem like an option too.

Thanks

Tony

Everyone has said no, it's not great to park downtown.  If you want to save the money, go for it.  The odds are in your favor.  But I wouldn't want to worry all week.

https://www.local10.com/news/2019/11/28/vacationers-return-from-cruise-to-find-vehicles-burglarized-in-miami/

21 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Everyone has said no, it's not great to park downtown.  If you want to save the money, go for it.  The odds are in your favor.  But I wouldn't want to worry all week.

https://www.local10.com/news/2019/11/28/vacationers-return-from-cruise-to-find-vehicles-burglarized-in-miami/

Thanks for the reply, that video puts it in perspective. $55 on Brightline, $96 downtown, $155 at the port. I think we'll do the Brightline option, it avoids having to drive into the port too. Signed up for the Brightline to get the emailed coupon and it expires in 30 days so no good. Will book closer to our March cruise.

2 minutes ago, disneykins said:

Thanks for the reply, that video puts it in perspective. $55 on Brightline, $96 downtown, $155 at the port. I think we'll do the Brightline option, it avoids having to drive into the port too. Signed up for the Brightline to get the emailed coupon and it expires in 30 days so no good. Will book closer to our March cruise.

Port Miami is extremely easy to drive in to.  There is a tunnel just for the port that connects to I95.  Easy to get in and out, park, etc.

The port may cost more but you can be guaranteed your vehicle will be there in one piece when you return.  Besides, who wants to have to shlep luggage back to where you left your car?  You can just go across the street to the parking garage, load up and you're on your way without having to mess with shuttles and trains.  You spent a bundle for your cruise, what's a hundred plus a few bucks to park your car where it will be convenient?

On 1/2/2020 at 10:34 AM, disneykins said:

Im a notorious cheapskate, but even I got talked out of parking anyplace besides the POM (by members of CC, another forum and friends who live in FL). 

I kinda thought that the Brightline thing was a royal PITA to save a few bucks.  Don't forget that you have to deal with an Uber as well.  And if you're a couple, it's $90 total ($45 pp if you pre book online at their website.) 

1 hour ago, jkgourmet said:

Im a notorious cheapskate, but even I got talked out of parking anyplace besides the POM (by members of CC, another forum and friends who live in FL). 

I kinda thought that the Brightline thing was a royal PITA to save a few bucks.  Don't forget that you have to deal with an Uber as well.  And if you're a couple, it's $90 total ($45 pp if you pre book online at their website.) 

We're using Brightline and paying $55.00 from Fort Lauderdale for the 2 of us return, including Lyft tickets and parking in a secure parking lot. The difference in the cost is more like C$135.00 for us when you consider the exchange rate. We also get a free mimosa, lol. Also won't have to fight traffic as we are  coming from Deerfield Beach sailing Super Bowl weekend.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hbe30 said:

We're using Brightline and paying $55.00 from Fort Lauderdale for the 2 of us return, including Lyft tickets and parking in a secure parking lot. The difference in the cost is more like C$135.00 for us when you consider the exchange rate. We also get a free mimosa, lol. Also won't have to fight traffic as we are  coming from Deerfield Beach sailing Super Bowl weekend.

My apologies.  I was looking at the prices for some kind of package with the cruiseline.   Now I see MUCH cheaper prices - and I thank you for the heads up.  And I've also seen the 10% senior citizen discount and veterans discounts. 

However, I cannot find that $55 RT for two with free parking.  All I can find is Select with ONE day complimentary parking for $42 RT for two.  Can you help?

(I also can't find the costs for parking at FLL anyplace online.)

Edited by jkgourmet

1 hour ago, jkgourmet said:

My apologies.  I was looking at the prices for some kind of package with the cruiseline.   Now I see MUCH cheaper prices - and I thank you for the heads up.  And I've also seen the 10% senior citizen discount and veterans discounts. 

However, I cannot find that $55 RT for two with free parking.  All I can find is Select with ONE day complimentary parking for $42 RT for two.  Can you help?

(I also can't find the costs for parking at FLL anyplace online.)

when you go to Brightline's web site there is a column on the top right  train to port section. Fill in the info, cruise line, number of pax, cars and you should get a price for your cruise. I am looking at Feb. 1, prices might be different for different times of the year. 

Parking at the port is $22/day. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, hbe30 said:

when you go to Brightline's web site there is a column on the top right  train to port section. Fill in the info, cruise line, number of pax, cars and you should get a price for your cruise. I am looking at Feb. 1, prices might be different for different times of the year. 

Parking at the port is $22/day. 

Feb 16-23 MSC $90 😞

I'm not sure that $96 is worth the extra hassle (especially on the return when we just like to go and be on our way.  This time with a two day drive home.)

Off to look for a promo code for a discount.

Thank you again.

Edited by jkgourmet

5 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

Feb 16-23 MSC $90 😞

I'm not sure that $96 is worth the extra hassle (especially on the return when we just like to go and be on our way.  This time with a two day drive home.)

Off to look for a promo code for a discount.

Thank you again.

MSC is a little different. This service includes delivery right to your stateroom. Once you check in at the train station Brightline will arrange to have your luggage delivered, so need to schlep them anywhere.

29 minutes ago, hbe30 said:

MSC is a little different. This service includes delivery right to your stateroom. Once you check in at the train station Brightline will arrange to have your luggage delivered, so need to schlep them anywhere.

Interesting.  Since we only take one carry on each, that extra service is useless and unwanted to us. 

I suspect we're back to parking at the POM for an annoyingly high cost.

Edited by jkgourmet

Has anyone done this trip on Briteline?

How safe is it to leave our car in the parking garage at Ft Lauderdale station?

is there Lyft drivers waiting at the Miami station to take you to the port? And how does it work for the return trip? When we disembarked in August it was a zoo to try to find Uber/Lyft-ended up hopping in a taxi. We’re not in a huge hurry to get on the road for our drive home and like the price better than paying for parking at the port for 8 days. 

any help is appreciated. 

On 1/4/2020 at 9:52 AM, hbe30 said:

This is what we are thinking too, about $135 CAD in savings is a nice chunk of cash. And the Brightline doesn't seem to be too much of an inconvenience (we once did Tri Rail Miami to FLL to save a few bucks and it was a breeze). We are also doing 3 different cruises out of Miami during our 3 months in Florida so the savings will add up nicely.

Tony

On 1/4/2020 at 9:52 AM, hbe30 said:

18 minutes ago, disneykins said:

This is what we are thinking too, about $135 CAD in savings is a nice chunk of cash. And the Brightline doesn't seem to be too much of an inconvenience (we once did Tri Rail Miami to FLL to save a few bucks and it was a breeze). We are also doing 3 different cruises out of Miami during our 3 months in Florida so the savings will add up nicely.

Tony

I'll let you know how it works. I'm taking it Feb. 1

5 hours ago, hbe30 said:

I'll let you know how it works. I'm taking it Feb. 1

Thanks, we're hoping to use it March 1 and again on March 23. We're wondering how easy it is with luggage? Any steps onto the train and in the stations?