Change in the house Champagne

Clutj

I realize that not too many people may care about this.  So, please feel free to move along...

Apparently, Oceania has switched the house Champagne from Montaudon (which wasn't pleasing to everyone, but tastes differ) to something called Germain.  On various Oceania and Regent posts, I have seen nothing but negative reviews of Germain.   A switch to Germain was made on the Regent line back in 2018.  By December 2018, Regent announced that they would dump the Germain and move to one of the Heidseck champagnes by March 2019; they acknowledged numerous customer complaints...

This seems to me a very puzzling move by Oceania.   You'd think they could easily have learned from Regent...

32 minutes ago, Clutj said:

I realize that not too many people may care about this.  So, please feel free to move along...

Apparently, Oceania has switched the house Champagne from Montaudon (which wasn't pleasing to everyone, but tastes differ) to something called Germain.  On various Oceania and Regent posts, I have seen nothing but negative reviews of Germain.   A switch to Germain was made on the Regent line back in 2018.  By December 2018, Regent announced that they would dump the Germain and move to one of the Heidseck champagnes by March 2019; they acknowledged numerous customer complaints...

This seems to me a very puzzling move by Oceania.   You'd think they could easily have learned from Regent...

O has been pouring the Germain for more than a year now (as the more expensive of the two sparkling wines-by-the-glass). I expect that it was a bulk purchase for both Regent and Oceania. IMO, it's decent for inexpensive champagne. But O should've opted for a California sparkler. For example, whenever they have a shipment of Shramsberg Mirabelle, it often sells out quickly (it was a wine-by-the-glass choice for several years). 

If they really want to make folks happy AND make money too, they should try some Gloria Ferrer - Right around $20 retail and, given the quality, that's a bargain.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

16 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I could name several better options, but it all comes down to $$$s. Only question now is how large was that bulk purchase commitment with Germain and how much longer will it take Oceania to work off the inventory. 

I only mentioned Gloria Ferrer because of its high volume/low cost production (and the "home court advantage), which I assume would appeal to Oceania (or any cruise line). There are other California sparklers I'd love to see onboard - e.g., Roederer). 

If you could pick a house sparkler for O, what would it be?

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I only mentioned Gloria Ferrer because of its high volume/low cost production (and the "home court advantage), which I assume would appeal to Oceania (or any cruise line). There are other California sparklers I'd love to see onboard - e.g., Roederer). 

If you could pick a house sparkler for O, what would it be?

But with Gloria Gerrer they couldn't call it champagne, they'd have to call is sparkling wine.

1 minute ago, wripro said:

But with Gloria Gerrer they couldn't call it champagne, they'd have to call is sparkling wine.

If you're paying for it, you can call it whatever you want.

In any case, many NorCal sparkling wines (made via Methode Champenoise) are far better (IMO) than what champagnes I've tasted over the years.

• Like 1

Actually Oceania couldn’t call a CA sparkling wine a champagne. It would like calling a CA cab/ merlot/cab franc blend a Bordeaux. 

I was actually thinking Roederer when I wrote that, plus they have their actual Champagne House owners. 

Selling to cruise ships is mostly a marketing ploy/ decision. It’s a method to quickly get a brand or label out in front of a targeted large audience in a short time. Shramsberg did it with Mirabelle as Pine Ridge did with their Chenin Blanc/ Viognier blend when they first brought it out. Many other examples. You’d be amazed at the number of customers than come into the liquor or wine stores wanting certain wines they had on a cruise. The cost of that marketing for the wineries is likewise amazing. You’re talking cruise ship costs of those wines being $2-$3 delivered to port! Some wineries aren’t that desperate for advertising!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Actually Oceania couldn’t call a CA sparkling wine a champagne. It would like calling a CA cab/ merlot/cab franc blend a Bordeaux. 

I was actually thinking Roederer when I wrote that, plus they have their actual Champagne House owners. 

Selling to cruise ships is mostly a marketing ploy/ decision. It’s a method to quickly get a brand or label out in front of a targeted large audience in a short time. Shramsberg did it with Mirabelle as Pine Ridge did with their Chenin Blanc/ Viognier blend when they first brought it out. Many other examples. You’d be amazed at the number of customers than come into the liquor or wine stores wanting certain wines they had on a cruise. The cost of that marketing for the wineries is likewise amazing. You’re talking cruise ship costs of those wines being $2-$3 delivered to port! Some wineries aren’t that desperate for advertising!

I meant "You" (the person) and not "You" the ship (when calling NorCal sparklers Champagne).

And, YES, Roederer would be a terrific choice!

Judging by the unanimous reviews of Germain as "terrible" by the Regent folks, and a couple poor reviews here on Oceania as well, it hasn't been a very good marketing ploy by them!  I am still mighty puzzled by the Oceania folks taking on Germain just as Regent was dumping it.  I guess they dumped it on Oceania, but why oh why do you want most of your customers calling your house Champagne  -- supposedly what people splurge on at $16.50 for a glass --- "terrible?"   That isn't a "splurge" memory that does Oceania any good.

If I were running things, a decent BTG menu would have an American brut sparkler -- the Ferrer suggested above is nice, the Roederer even better, and I'd settle for a Gruet from New Mexico -- at $10-11, probably an American rose as well, and then a decent French Champagne brut that retails for $30-40 sitting in the $16.50 spot.

And while I was at it, I'd change the white menu so that there aren't 4 Sauv Blancs at the same time out of the 10 choices.  That's just nuts.

I am shopping for my post-retirement cruise line.  Oceania is super for food but doesn't seen to care about wines.  Anyone recommend the Best Wine At Sea cruise line?  I have seen a recent Regent BTG list of 20+ whites and 20+ red, and while there are Oceania overlaps, there are also at least 5 of each that I recognize as much more widely respected.

9 minutes ago, Clutj said:

Judging by the unanimous reviews of Germain as "terrible" by the Regent folks, and a couple poor reviews here on Oceania as well, it hasn't been a very good marketing ploy by them!  I am still mighty puzzled by the Oceania folks taking on Germain just as Regent was dumping it.  I guess they dumped it on Oceania, but why oh why do you want most of your customers calling your house Champagne  -- supposedly what people splurge on at $16.50 for a glass --- "terrible?"   That isn't a "splurge" memory that does Oceania any good.

If I were running things, a decent BTG menu would have an American brut sparkler -- the Ferrer suggested above is nice, the Roederer even better, and I'd settle for a Gruet from New Mexico -- at $10-11, probably an American rose as well, and then a decent French Champagne brut that retails for $30-40 sitting in the $16.50 spot.

And while I was at it, I'd change the white menu so that there aren't 4 Sauv Blancs at the same time out of the 10 choices.  That's just nuts.

I am shopping for my post-retirement cruise line.  Oceania is super for food but doesn't seen to care about wines.  Anyone recommend the Best Wine At Sea cruise line?  I have seen a recent Regent BTG list of 20+ whites and 20+ red, and while there are Oceania overlaps, there are also at least 5 of each that I recognize as much more widely respected.

Regent may have more/better. But, at a premium cabin price increase of 20%+\- for the "luxury" label, I'll bring my own sparkling wine on O (or use that O Club SBC.

18 minutes ago, Clutj said:

I suspect the contributors on cc are not representative of the vast majority of passengers who drink this and probably are not that discerning. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

I suspect the contributors on cc are not representative of the vast majority of passengers who drink this and probably are not that discerning. 

+1

The only thing that the vast majority want to know about the wines that they drink 

-is that it will burn sufficiently when it is going down.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

O has been pouring the Germain for more than a year now (as the more expensive of the two sparkling wines-by-the-glass). I expect that it was a bulk purchase for both Regent and Oceania. IMO, it's decent for inexpensive champagne. But O should've opted for a California sparkler. For example, whenever they have a shipment of Shramsberg Mirabelle, it often sells out quickly (it was a wine-by-the-glass choice for several years). 

If they really want to make folks happy AND make money too, they should try some Gloria Ferrer - Right around $20 retail and, given the quality, that's a bargain.

lSchramsberg  is right up there with Tattenger and Rodier.    In fact both those French houses are now in California     if that tells you something..... It is served at the French .Laundry..................

A couple of issues at work. Germain is not “ bad” champagne, imo it’s just not as nice as M and a noticeable step down. That however doesn’t make it bad. As suggested a lot of non serious champagne or sparkling wine drinkers find little fault with it.

Most importantly, Oceania ( no NCL) obviously made a significant order and they have to work through that inventory. They can’t legally sell it to other third party resellers in most countries. Some one is going to drink it until it’s gone.

The Cruise lines only buy what they can get incredible deals on for their house wines. A lot of producers aren’t willing to sell at the discounts needed. You can buy those producer’s wine by the bottle at significant prices. Cruise ships still got excellent pricing, but not enough to go on the “ by the glass” list.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 2:31 PM, Clutj said:

Oceania is my favorite cruise line but if I was choosing a line based by wine by the glass choices, Celebrity would win by a mile. 

I also agree with Pinotlover; Germain is a champagne but not one that I like in comparison to other choices.  I liked Montaudon, Mirabelle and Perrier Jouet.  I lucked out on one cruise a few years ago.  They had Perrier Jouet on the 7 bottles list at $42.00 a bottle. Haven't seen that since.