Breakaway questions

kelship

Excuse my rookie-ness...I have some random questions.

1. With Free at Sea, gratuities for those are added in...then I also pay regular gratuities later, right?

2. If yes, can I pay those before the cruise? I'd like to pre-pay as much as possible.

3. Possibly crazy q...are the regular balconies big enough to hold one of the twin mattresses? I'd love to sleep on the balcony. Is there a floor that has bigger balconies than others? (Breakaway)

4. I most recently sailed RCCL...how does embarkation work on NCL? Can I show up at 11 and get right on or will i be given a time and is it set in stone?

5. If we get 2 balcony cabins next door to one another can we open the divider?

6. Does the drink package work on Half Moon Cay? Is the beach there as beautiful/calm/clear as it looks online?

Any other tips/tricks/advice for NCL? 

Breakaway, 7 nights in April to Ocho Rios, Cozumel, Cayman, & Half Moon Cay. Group of 4 in 2 balcony rooms. 

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, kelship said:

1. With Free at Sea, gratuities for those are added in...then I also pay regular gratuities later, right?

Yes.

2. If yes, can I pay those before the cruise? I'd like to pre-pay as much as possible.

Yes.

3. Possibly crazy q...are the regular balconies big enough to hold one of the twin mattresses? I'd love to sleep on the balcony.

Not really...

DSC07017_zpsd54c3a21.jpg

Is there a floor that has bigger balconies than others? (Breakaway)

There are many non-Haven balconies that are much larger but they generally cost more (different category). There are a few angled balconies that cost the same as regular balconies and they are about 50% larger (located where the ship bumps out/in). The largest balconies are the aft-facing (size varies by deck) and the large balcony mini-suites for non-Haven guests.

I most recently sailed RCCL...how does embarkation work on NCL? Can I show up at 11 and get right on or will i be given a time and is it set in stone?

If you arrive earlier than assigned, it isn't a problem. You will get a lower boarding number and board with that group after you check-in. Those with Priority Boarding will board ahead of you no matter when you arrive.

It isn't allowed due to safety regulations. You might get lucky and a room steward might do it with the expectation of a tip. Even if it is opened for you, it might get locked later that day or the next.

Does the drink package work on Half Moon Cay?

No, but you won't be going there. :classic_tongue:

NCL goes to Great Stirrup Cay (weather permitting) and the drink package does work there.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Whoops!. Mixed up the private Islands for a second there lol. 

From what I've been reading, I feel like chances of actually making it to GSC is about 50%, so we'll see how that goes. 

I've just been to the reviews section and I'm really re-thinking the Breakaway. Lots of negatives and lots of "too crowded". I suppose a too crowded cruise is still better than a week at work lol.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by kelship

10 minutes ago, kelship said:

I've just been to the reviews section and I'm really re-thinking the Breakaway. Lots of negatives and lots of "too crowded". I suppose a too crowded cruise is still better than a week at work lol.

There are ways to avoid many of the crowds. Too many people travel the main paths of the ship which causes bottle-necks. Savvy cruisers use alternate routes to get from point A to point B.

In the buffet (for ex.) too many people crowd by the entrance when there are more seats and food choices further aft. There are 2 pools which can be crowded like nearly all cruise ships (not counting the Haven) but even then, there are usually empty loungers above and away from the pool deck. Some people fight to be in a lounger close to the pool for some reason.

Breakaway is a fine ship (Breakaway Class) but improvements/changes were made for the Breakaway Plus Class. 

I wouldn’t rethink The Breakaway. Yes, it does get crowded in places, especially the Atrium, where they hold many games and events. Still don’t know why they hold so many activities there....it’s just not a big enough space with not nearly enough seating for the # of people who want to attend. So that gets a little frustrating, but no reason to skip this ship. There are areas that aren’t crowded, like the Waterfront, which has lots of great seating & a relaxing place to spend time. Also, Spice H2O was really nice and no children allowed there during the day. At night there are so many venues to go to, I never felt that any of them were crazy crowded.

4 hours ago, kelship said:

Thanks for your help!

Stick with the breakaway. We have sailed on the Breakaway 4 times and her sister ships over a dozen times. No major issues. 

the BA funnels people thru the middle of the ship. i was on regal princess and they have made it feel so much more open even though it was a smaller ship with fewer people. also instead of tiny atrium on BA, princess has a lovely 3 story open large piazza  for people to gather for games and such. for activities which would you prefer? also on regal you can see the balconies there in the pic and the shops are on the sides there. on BA they just feel all jammed in. my bet is the BA is a wider ship but regal feels sooo much bigger and spacious . on a rainy day there's nowhere to go on the BA really. princess had much more indoor seating on bad weather days., even a small tv studio for game shows etc. 

now bliss takes the cake with indoor seating on bad days if you have haven you get 2 floors of indoor space and then 1 floor of observation deck on 15. def good for cold weather

breakaway.PNG

regal.PNG

Don't rethink the Breakaway, we've sailed the Breakaway twice (and her sister ship the Getaway once) and love both ships.  We have another cruise for the summer of 2021 booked on the Breakaway.  The atrium can get crowded, we spent most of our time on the waterfront on deck 8, and were always able to find a nice quiet place.  The main pool areas were crowded but we spent most of our time at the little kid's pool when we traveled with our twins and in Spice H20 when we left the kids home).  We love the BA class ships and feel like they offer a great experience for families and non families alike.  I was worried before we sailed the first time due to the negative reviews but I am glad I didn't listen to them, we had a great time.

12 hours ago, kelship said:

Excuse my rookie-ness...I have some random questions.

3. Possibly crazy q...are the regular balconies big enough to hold one of the twin mattresses? I'd love to sleep on the balcony. Is there a floor that has bigger balconies than others? (Breakaway)

4. I most recently sailed RCCL...how does embarkation work on NCL? Can I show up at 11 and get right on or will i be given a time and is it set in stone?

6. Does the drink package work on Half Moon Cay? Is the beach there as beautiful/calm/clear as it looks online?

Any other tips/tricks/advice for NCL? 

Breakaway, 7 nights in April to Ocho Rios, Cozumel, Cayman, & Half Moon Cay. Group of 4 in 2 balcony rooms. 

Thanks in advance!

For the Free at Sea perks that you opt in on, you will be charged gratuities as part of the entire booking fee.  Those fees cover the bar staff and specialty dining staff tips.  Your on board account will be charged daily for the "service fee" which covers regular dining staff, room stewards, etc., unless you pre-pay.

I would hope that even if you could fit a mattress on the balcony, you would not put it there.  The floors of the balconies are pretty nasty and I certainly would not want to sleep on the mattress someone has previously put out there.