Conditions in Sydney Today

msmoger

The below picture is the current view from the Sydney Harbor webcam.  I'm curious if anyone currently in Sydney can confirm if this is smoke or fog.  I'm assuming smoke.  Are folks commonly using masks when outside?  This is so sad.  We will be in Sydney for 8 days beginning 8 February.  I'm starting to get very concerned.  These fires are such a tragedy.

733093950_Screenshot2020-01-0713_58_53.thumb.png.5b10a172af63e3e476520242bc54acba.png

You'll be fine. If you're in Sydney, you'll see smoke but you'll be breathing just fine.

Yeah, I believe the monitoring stations are listing that particulate is high, and you might be able to smell bushfire smoke at times, but it's not a choking smog needing masks for everyday use - head out into the regions, nearer the fires (and please, don't go into the firegrounds, even if they're tourist hotspots, or even to 'go see' the devastation) and you might need a breathing mask.

Air Quality Index: https://www.dpie.nsw.gov.au/air-quality/current-air-quality

Forecast, Including Smoke: http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/sydney.shtml

1 hour ago, nchpmn said:

You'll be fine. If you're in Sydney, you'll see smoke but you'll be breathing just fine.

Yeah, I believe the monitoring stations are listing that particulate is high, and you might be able to smell bushfire smoke at times, but it's not a choking smog needing masks for everyday use - head out into the regions, nearer the fires (and please, don't go into the firegrounds, even if they're tourist hotspots, or even to 'go see' the devastation) and you might need a breathing mask.

Air Quality Index: https://www.dpie.nsw.gov.au/air-quality/current-air-quality

Forecast, Including Smoke: http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/sydney.shtml

Thanks for the response and the links.

3 hours ago, msmoger said:

The below picture is the current view from the Sydney Harbor webcam.  I'm curious if anyone currently in Sydney can confirm if this is smoke or fog.  I'm assuming smoke.  Are folks commonly using masks when outside?  This is so sad.  We will be in Sydney for 8 days beginning 8 February.  I'm starting to get very concerned.  These fires are such a tragedy.

733093950_Screenshot2020-01-0713_58_53.thumb.png.5b10a172af63e3e476520242bc54acba.png

The photo is of fog in Sydney this morning, evidently caused by a storm overnight. But I'm sure there is smoke mixed in with the fog. it is expected to clear by this afternoon, perhaps check the webcam again in a few hours.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

It's smoke haze. We've had a few days like this over the past month or so but interspersed with clear days so it's not constantly like that.

If you are sensitive to smoke pollution it is advisable to wear a mask outdoors when the smoke is this bad. Amazon have a good range of P2.5/N99 anti-pollution masks that are reasonably priced. Some of them are very lightweight and easy to pack. I have one that is flat when not worn, which I keep in my handbag to use when needed.

The Meteorological office advised today's conditions are is a mixture of mist and smoke but the majority is smoke.

The air warning in the city (as per the picture above) is hazardous and people are advised to avoid time outside. As a result public facilities like pools and sports grounds in Sydney have been closed.

If you are outside you would be best off wearing a mask. I wore one, and was certainly not the only one. It's very sad that we've become like Shanghai.

1 hour ago, sofmall said:

Still smoky in Sydney today though not as bad as yesterday. We live just south of the city and unfortunately the skies are rarely blue at present. Here's hoping things change.

We're just north of the bridge and had fairly good air. No sign of smoke at all but overcast. At one stage it looked and felt like we would get a good storm but no such luck so far.