Mariner Amazon cruise December 2019 to Jan 2020

forevertravel

We just returned from cruise on the Mariner from Rio to Miami. We did the Regent pre-cruise tour of Rio. I was a bit concerned since some people had written that Rio was not a place to visit and it was dangerous.We loved Rio! It is a beautiful city and the views from Sugar Loaf or Christ Redeemer were awesome. We stayed at the JW Marriott in Copacabana (the other choice was the new Fairmont). The hotel was across the beach and service was excellent. I heeded advise and never wore any jewelry (not even my wedding rings). We walked from hotel to nearby restaurants. We never had any incidents. However, a couple on the tour went walking on the beach and someone grabbed his gold chain around his neck. Not a good smart move on their part. OK, the cruise. I found the Amazon fascinating. It was so different. All the tours we took and the guides were very good. The ship looked very festive decorated for Christmas. We know many of the crew members so it was wonderful seeing them again. We had dinner with captain one night, and he was very good with a nice sense of humor. The food was excellent! We never had any cold meals as others reported. We ate several times at the specialty restaurants and our meals were excellent. We had excellent weather (yes, it was hot) and rained a couple of days but only for a few hours. We didn't need boots. I brought shoe covers and never needed them. We brought all the necessary anti repellent products including spray for clothes and used it. I never saw any mosquitoes. We didn't get the yellow fever shots so we couldn't get off ship in St. Lucia. Be aware, on morning we arrived, immigration authorities notified Regent they wouldn't accept a note from doctor. Many people were already in the theater waiting for their tours and couldn't get off the ship. Hopefully, Regent won't stop in St. Lucia when returning from Brazil in the future. No issues in St. Kitts. I didn't find the entertainment bad as some passengers reported from previous cruise. No, Regent does not have the Broadway shows or is known for great entertainment. That said, we do not cruise with Regent for entertainment. I thought the shows were OK and Paul Reynolds did an excellent job as CD. The upper tier 7 Societies entertainment was the best I have seen.

All in all it was a wonderful cruise. No issues with the Mariner. Everything was perfect.....food, crew, service, ship in general. Once again, kudos to Regent.

Forevertravel😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love reading reviews, esp. positive ones(though it can be useful to read the not so positive, as well).

We have just one Regent cruise under our belts, so I am always looking to glean a few more tips from others experience. I was very pleased to read your positive experience in Rio, we are doing that same pre-cruise add on before we board Voyager in Mar 21, and I too, had some slight concerns, so it was great to read that you enjoyed your time there.

Many thanks.

@forevertravel, Thanks for the review.

4 hours ago, forevertravel said:

We didn't get the yellow fever shots so we couldn't get off ship in St. Lucia. Be aware, on morning we arrived, immigration authorities notified Regent they wouldn't accept a note from doctor.

Useful information. There have been numerous discussions on this in the past, often with conflicting or incorrect advice being given.

Thanks for the great review and your experiences doing the Amazon Cruise!  We're doing the same voyage next Christmas, also on the Mariner.  The itinerary also includes St. Lucia, but we've had our yellow fever shots and should not have a problem.

I know the subject has been discussed many times and some don't want to hear it again,  But that is because they have "been there done that".  Re the yellow fever shot - as Flossie states - a lot of "different" info floating around.  We would be interested in knowing age of those that did receive the shot we are mid-70's - in good health) and were there any side effects.

2 hours ago, carolina cruisin said:

I know the subject has been discussed many times and some don't want to hear it again,  But that is because they have "been there done that".  Re the yellow fever shot - as Flossie states - a lot of "different" info floating around.  We would be interested in knowing age of those that did receive the shot we are mid-70's - in good health) and were there any side effects.

We had just turned 65 when we got the yellow fever shot. No side effects other than a little soreness in our arms for a couple of days. Hope this helps.

Dave

This topic has been dredged, and re-dredged more often than Elizabeth Taylor changed husbands.  But, that is a somewhat dated analogy.  

It is a matter of first-impression to many contemplating an Amazon adventure.  So--

I will not comment further, other that was there, and did that, Navigator May-June 2017.   Go to Page 51.  Thread is "Questions for Past Passengers of the Regent's Amazon Cruise"  Date is June 6, 2018.  I offered a comment.  

Then, with more specificity as to Yellow Fever shots and malaria pills:  

Go to Page 4 of the Mariner Roll Call.  Topic is "Radiant Amazon".  This related to folks planning a November 2017 Amazon cruise.  There were 217 responses.  I began contributions on page 3 of that particular Thread based on our earlier 2017 experience.  

As to age:  I am in mid-70s; my wife in early 70s.  More-important is one's individual health history.  That is why we began planning for our Amazon adventure eight months before embarkation.  Consultations with a M.D. specializing in Tropical Diseases at Evergreen Hospital, Kirkland, WA who had access to our complete medical histories.  

That led to needed inoculations, meds, pills, and such.  Yes, we got the Yellow Fever shot, plus several others.  Yes, personnel checking us in at Miami before boarding checked for that Yellow Universal Inoculation Card we had stapled into our Passports.  Yes, we took the malaria pills. 

No ill-effects.  Too much money invested in this trip to risk enjoyment by becoming ill on board caused by not taking needed precautions.   It is a once-in-a lifetime experience transiting on The Greatest River in the World.    

Hope this helps.  

GOARMY!

Appreciate the responses.  Know we have thought way too hard on this one.  At this point - just moving forward with the trip and plan on consulting and then more than likely getting the recommended shots.  As GOARMY says, the trip is too much of an opportunity to miss.  Thanks again for taking the time to help out.

We talked with all our doctors and got the Yellow Fever shots ( good for life) and took the Typhoid oral (good for 5 years) vaccine which was recommended by our PCP.  I felt a little shocky for a couple hours is the only reaction.  We are in our mid 60s with some chronic health issues.  All of our doctors said the vaccine was better than getting yellow fever.

Any government can suddenly decide not to let unvaccinated visitors in their country if there is some kind of health outbreak.  We took our cruise (2018) and checking out entry requirements it was a different island that said they were not letting in unvaccinated visitors who had previously been to Devil's Island. 

Just heard from Regent that they cancelled the St. Lucia stop on this year’s Amazon cruise and replaced with Martinique, apparently to avoid the problems with the YF issue this year.

• Like 1

We are doing an Amazon cruise on the Viking Sea leaving 2/20/2020. This cruise will port at Devil’s Island and St Lucia. Viking and many passengers believe that yellow fever vaccinations are recommended, but not mandatory (see roll call). 
Just to clarify. Is St Lucia denying disembarking based upon porting at Devils Island? 

I stated above that this year’s Amazon Cruise still included a stop in St. Lucia.  That was last week — just received an Itinerary change and the stop in St. Lucia has changed to Fort de France, Martinique.  They also dropped St. Barts and added Philipsburg, St. Maarten in its place.  I guess you just have to be flexible...

In theory, and on paper, the Yellow Fever certification/waiver requirements are the same for entry into St Lucia, French Guiana (Devils Island) and Martinique.

"Required if traveling from a country with risk of YF virus transmission and ≥1 year of age"

(The Amazonas region of Brazil has a risk of YF virus transmission)

• Like 1