Letter confirming when we reach Bahamas waters

sassy1ja

2 hours ago, F27TW said:

This all sounds fishy ... why would an American need to get married in the Bahamas ??

I'm guessing it's more of a want, not a need.  And maybe some bragging rights to top it off.  😄

Conversation:  Where did you get married?  In the local church in town.  Where did you get married?  In the Bahamas while on a cruise!  Wow, how exciting.

@sassy1ja  Make sure any notarizing of being single is done properly to meet any Bahamian requirements for notarization. We had to go to an attorney in Nassau to notarize something. Don't assume something notarized in your home state is automatically valid. Check it out and have all your ducks (notaries!) in a row before you get there.

Incidentally, notaries can perform weddings in Florida (and SC and Maine). In case you have some issue and want to get married on your trip in Florida before or after your cruise.

Edited by mayleeman

On 1/14/2020 at 1:29 PM, Missus_Aitch said:

I know on Disney Cruise Line the weddings that take place on the cruise or on their island in the Bahamas actually are performed while the ship is still docked in Florida.  A legal officiant comes on board and performs the wedding for just the bride and groom and witnesses.  The ceremony that takes place during the cruise is make believe.

While the Bahamas (the flag state for Disney ships) allows ship Captains to perform marriages, it is up to the individual Captain to decide whether or not he/she wants to apply for this documentation, and whether the ship owner wants to do the ceremonies onboard.

On 1/15/2020 at 10:32 AM, F27TW said:

This all sounds fishy ... why would an American need to get married in the Bahamas ??

Exactly.  I was thinking the who time, who wants to be legally married?🤷‍♂️  (Sarcasm font on)

@Yorkvillain Total CSI case for later, if Lisa did me in. 😉

Edited by A&L_Ont

On 1/15/2020 at 10:32 AM, F27TW said:

I'm guessing that's sarcasm. Because Destination weddings are a growing trend. My husband and I got married on  Grand Cayman at a little cove on the beach during a cruise. My brother and sister in law got married in Barbados on a Beautiful beach!

• Like 1

Oh Yeah. We were married on boat, by Captain Frank in San Francisco Bay. We chartered the whole boat and had the reception onboard. We cruised out under the Golden Gate Bridge. 

We did have to get married while the ship was still docked, so that our marriage would be valid in our county (where the license was issued).

My husband proposed on a sailing boat in the bay, and we have continued the cruising trend ever since. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 10:45 AM, thjeepster said:

If you get married on the ship and out to sea....it's considered the Bahamas.

So not fishy for us!

So doesn't that mean that your marriage is only valid in the Bahamas and not back home in America ?   Sounds like a great "out" should you change ur mind after the wedding, if you ask me !