Super Bowl - specific question

amyotravel

Hi,

Has anyone experienced this first hand, recently - like last year or year before?

Going on the Vista and will be there for Super Bowl. I was excited when I realized it a while back. Should be super fun on the big screen, etc. Then I started to worry about one thing. Taking some newbies with us for their first cruise. We have been trying to get them to come FOREVER. Like about 15 years. The time has finally come!

But Super Bowl being on a Sunday the day after we board it would normally be the first Cruise Elegant night. The one with lobster. A friend who does usually cruise with us has a tradition in the dining room that night that we always enjoy and long talked about with the newbies so we don't want to miss MDR dinner. We also don't want to leave the Super Bowl festivities and we are football fans.

There was some info on line that Carnival will postpone the elegant night due to Super Bowl, but we have 3 straight port days following. How does that work? Especially since we are Cozumel plus the day after the first day at sea. Does anyone have any expert knowledge on that? I would love to ask JH directly but do not have an account and don't want one on that site. Please help! 🙂 Thank you.

Amy

Edited by amyotravel

6 minutes ago, coevan said:

I guess you will have to decide on a 2 oz, mediocre lobster tail or the Super Bowl. Pretty sure you can buy better lobster in your home town. Pizzas and beer sound great for a Super Bowl.

Like I said, there is a tradition. I would like some specific advice from people who have experienced this Super Bowl on first elegant night.

They may not even have the super bowl, I can’t remember what channel it’s on but Carnival didn’t have all of the NBA finals or World Series games in years past, wouldn’t put it passed them to cheap out on broadcasting the super bowl. Hell the don’t have NASCAR on some weeks!

37 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

Well, that would suck. Would like to know that also. Here is all I could find, but it's not from actual cruisers.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2149

Thanks Amy! That link answers all the questions:

"The game will be broadcast on the big screen at the pool, at the sports bar and at other venues around the ship. Ships might offer beer buckets and other drink specials (including cocktails inspired by each team), as well as complimentary snacks, decorations, trivia and "sailgating" games. If an Elegant Night is normally scheduled for that day of the cruise, it will be moved."

We're on Panorama for SB and JH announced our first elegant night would be Monday rather than SB Sunday. The game will be on the lido screen with the usual food venues open nearby. The game will also be shown in the main lounge where tailgate party foods will be served buffet style. 

Edited by sanmarcosman

17 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Thanks Amy! That link answers all the questions:

"The game will be broadcast on the big screen at the pool, at the sports bar and at other venues around the ship. Ships might offer beer buckets and other drink specials (including cocktails inspired by each team), as well as complimentary snacks, decorations, trivia and "sailgating" games. If an Elegant Night is normally scheduled for that day of the cruise, it will be moved."

Well, it might or might not. I don't know how recent/relevant it is with the changes made to what Carnival carries for broadcasts. Plus, it's general info and I wanted specific knowledge if available. Like I said, this general info is all I found. Wanted to believe it, but we have Cozumel plus the next day also.

16 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

We're on Panorama for SB and JH announced our first elegant night would be Monday rather than SB Sunday. The game will be on the lido screen with the usual food venues open nearby. The game will also be shown in the main lounge where tailgate party foods will be served buffet style. 

This info is giving me hope. But Monday for us is not a sea day. Is it for you? We have Cozumel Plus, then ports after Cozumel also the next two days after back-to-back.

4 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

This info is giving me hope. But Monday for us is not a sea day. Is it for you? We have Cozumel Plus, then ports after Cozumel also the next two days after back-to-back.

Yes, it's being called Superbowl Sea Day Sunday. Good luck

21 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

No, our Monday is not a sea day, we'll be in Cabo until 7 pm that night. Sunday is a sea day.

I recall in past years that cruisers were told before their cruise that elegant night would be moved to another night but then it actually wasn't.  Anyone know if I am remembering this correctly?  This topic comes up every year.

Edited by MissKIA

4 minutes ago, MissKIA said:

No, our Monday is not a sea day, we'll be in Cabo until 7 pm that night. Sunday is a sea day.

I recall in past years that cruisers were told before their cruise that elegant night would be moved to another night but then it actually wasn't.  Anyone know if I am remembering this correctly?  This topic comes up every year.

I thought Amy said Sunday, yes Monday is our elegant night and is when we depart Cabo.

Edited by sanmarcosman

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I thought Amy said Sunday, yes Monday is our elegant night and is when we depart Cabo.

Do you know what time you leave Cabo? We are scheduled to leave Cozumel at 6:00 so would imagine cruise elegant being a bit tough for some people (though not for me; I only have a mid morning excursion for 4 hours).

1 minute ago, amyotravel said:

Do you know what time you leave Cabo? We are scheduled to leave Cozumel at 6:00 so would imagine cruise elegant being a bit tough for some people (though not for me; I only have a mid morning excursion for 4 hours).

We're there from 10am-7pm. 

We were on Magic two years ago for the Super Bowl (Eagles - Patriots).  Super Bowl Sunday was day 2 of a 7 day cruise. They moved the first elegant night to Monday night, which was a port day at Cozumel on our cruise.

The game will definitely be shown on the ship. Basically every TV and large screen on the ship will have the game on, with the exception of TVs in cabins. The only downside is Carnival shows the game on the ESPN Carribean channel, so you won’t see the commercials you would see back in the States during the game.

We were on the Freedom last year for the Super Bowl.  Elegant night was moved to the next night.  Super Bowl watching was a lot of fun and I am pretty sure they had some different Super Bowl snacks in honor of the game.  You and your friends will have a great time.

• Like 1