Help! Cabin mate seriously injured will have to cancel! What next?

1 hour ago, nwcruiselover said:

Yes, that’s exactly the way it worked.  That’s why it’s important for both people in the cabin to have insurance.  

Even better is if both have the exact same insurance coverage, whether through the cruise line or through the same 3rd party insurance company.

I had this happen when going with a group of women.  My roommate's husband had a heart attack 2 days before sailing.  We called our TA.  She canceled out my roommate and RCCL hit me with the solo supplement.  I had to pay it and then file an insurance claim and wait to be reimbursed.  

We immediately got refunds from the cruise line for our prepaid gratuities, government taxes and fees, and all excursions, spa treatments etc. that we pre-purchased.  She got the cruise fare refunded, and I got the single supplement refunded.  I actually got more back because they repriced the single fare to what it was 2 days before sailing, not what it was when we booked over a year in advance. 

The only thing we were out at the end of the day were the insurance premiums.

Those who are telling the friend to be a no show are not helping the person who insurance and has to cancel.  The insurance will not pay off if she is a no show.  You have to cancel as soon as possible, and she should only be canceling if the doctor says she can't go.  If she is still fit to travel, and the doctor fills out the form that way, she may not get reimbursed.

If the person still going does not have insurance, she is going to get hit with the supplement once her friend cancels, and they will want to collect it immediately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DebJ14 said:

Even better is if both have the exact same insurance coverage, whether through the cruise line or through the same 3rd party insurance company.

I had this happen when going with a group of women.  My roommate's husband had a heart attack 2 days before sailing.  We called our TA.  She canceled out my roommate and RCCL hit me with the solo supplement.  I had to pay it and then file an insurance claim and wait to be reimbursed.  

We immediately got refunds from the cruise line for our prepaid gratuities, government taxes and fees, and all excursions, spa treatments etc. that we pre-purchased.  She got the cruise fare refunded, and I got the single supplement refunded.  I actually got more back because they repriced the single fare to what it was 2 days before sailing, not what it was when we booked over a year in advance. 

The only thing we were out at the end of the day were the insurance premiums.

Those who are telling the friend to be a no show are not helping the person who insurance and has to cancel.  The insurance will not pay off if she is a no show.  You have to cancel as soon as possible, and she should only be canceling if the doctor says she can't go.  If she is still fit to travel, and the doctor fills out the form that way, she may not get reimbursed.

If the person still going does not have insurance, she is going to get hit with the supplement once her friend cancels, and they will want to collect it immediately.

In my case, my roommate had the same insurance company, which simplified things quite a bit.  Since my doctor’s statement/form is confidential, the insurance company couldn’t show it to my roommate, but they cross-referenced our claims and were able to use my doctor’s form for her claim.  I wouldn’t have minded if she saw it, but the insurance company was very emphatic that it was confidential.  She paid the solo supplement and was reimbursed very quickly, in less than a week.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

In my case, my roommate had the same insurance company, which simplified things quite a bit.  Since my doctor’s statement/form is confidential, the insurance company couldn’t show it to my roommate, but they cross-referenced our claims and were able to use my doctor’s form for her claim.  I wouldn’t have minded if she saw it, but the insurance company was very emphatic that it was confidential.  She paid the solo supplement and was reimbursed very quickly, in less than a week.

That is exactly how the insurance company handled our claims.  It was really painless.  I had to wait for her to file, but I did not push it since her husband was in critical condition and she was basically living at the hospital.  Once she came up for air, our TA and I helped her get the forms completed and uploaded.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

Can you get someone else to go and change the name on the reservation?

I believe you can, as long as one name on the reservation stays the same.  

Can anyone else attest to this?

2 hours ago, cgags47 said:

I believe you can, as long as one name on the reservation stays the same.  

Can anyone else attest to this?

It's true, as long as at least one name stays the same, others can be substituted, I believe up to 24 hours in advance of sailing.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your help. My friend had to get cancellation notice in three days after her accident and our wonderful travel agent helped with all the details. Her doctors said it would almost be impossible for her to do any traveling. She had surgery today and both surgical teams reported good results on both injuries our travel agent received final cancellation notices and forwarded to her family and they submitted right away. All entertainment reservations and excursions were cancelled - was only reimbursed for half of port charges and full taxes and that was stated.  I have not been charged with anything as yet and hope this will stay the same but I thank all of you for your info

i will inform you if anything else negative should occur . As far as my dear friend she will have at least two months recovery but she will do it - not much can keep her down- loves life!!!

• Like 1