Viking Expeditions

London-Calling

Viking has announced the expansion into expedition voyages. Viking Expeditions will begin sailing in January 2022 with its first vessel, the Viking Octantis, embarking on voyages to Antarctica and North America’s Great Lakes.

A second expedition vessel, the Viking Polaris, will debut in August 2022, sailing to Antarctica and the Arctic. Viking’s arrival to the Great Lakes will bring the newest and most modern vessels ever to explore this region of North America. 

The ships will be built by VARD with a capacity of 378 guests each. 

(Viking)

Ship renderings: https://youtu.be/GtzfshhgWlc

7 hours ago, zitsky said:

Who names Viking ships?  Octantis is a funny name.  Do they already have an "Atlantis"???

Asked Uncle Google:

Sigma Octantis, officially named Polaris Australis, is the current South Star. Its position near the southern celestial pole makes it the southern hemisphere's pole star. This is a solitary star in the southern circumpolar constellation of Octans. Wikipedia

• Like 2

I was surprised that Octanis’ first season is already “sold out”. I knew there would be great interest among Viking alumni when we got first crack at the berths, but didn’t figure it would sell that quickly. Guess Torstein and Karine are happy!

The prices are significantly higher than Hurtigurten (who also has some new expedition ships) so while I know Viking’s cruise will be great, I’m not sure if I was going that I wouldn’t have to think hard as to whether I couldn’t buy a lot of drinks and pay for a lot of laundry with the $7,000 per person I’d save. Yes I know Viking provides a “Nordic” balcony rather than an outside stateroom.  For what Viking is asking for a Nordic Veranda, a couple can book a Hurtigurten suite (has a real balcony and some have a hot tub) and still have $6000 to spend on air and booze.  Don’t have to worry about laundry as that is Suite perk! Friends sailed on one of Hurtigurten’s older ships in a suite to Antartica several years ago and can’t say enough good things, so I suspect if Viking’s prices hold, we would have to not be aboard 😢

The most interesting Viking Expedition itinerary to me is the one that goes from the Artic to Anartica...now if they would only put a promo on that trip!

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1