koningsdam pool seating

esimon

13 minutes ago, esimon said:

How does the 2 level pool seating work?  I'm looking forward to it. Is there sun on level 2?   crowded etc

Depending on which way the ship is facing, there's usually sun on one side and shade on the other.  On our short (3-day) cruise when the ship first sailed from FLL in Nov 2016 we never saw any of the alcoves in use.

Edited by catl331

I did see the alcoves in use last winter. And mostly occupied by real bodies as opposed to hats and books! (The hats and books were on the loungers downstairs.)

I only sat in the pool area on port days when I wasn't going ashore for long, and found it easy to get a seat upstairs. The curved sofa was perfect for me to lounge sideways and have my right arm/hand free to knit.  I imagine on sea days the area is busier. 

Our stateroom was on this level, so we used these a few times.  I didn't see there being much sun, but it was quiet.  In the evening, it was a nice place to sit and enjoy pizza and wine from the pizza place.  Can also be a nice place to watch the evening movie.

Thank you for asking this question and those that answered.  We are onboard this Wednesday for the first time.  I would have thought these would have been for a fee so glad to know the area is free.  So much to look forward to!  

21 hours ago, peanutter said:

Thank you for asking this question and those that answered.  We are onboard this Wednesday for the first time.  I would have thought these would have been for a fee so glad to know the area is free.  So much to look forward to!  

We'll be boarding tomorrow from Chattanooga and Nashville.  We'll definitely check out this area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Koningsdam a few weeks ago and didn't use either of the two pools. But, eating at the NY Pizza and Deli for lunch several times, we noticed the roof covered about 2/3 of the pool area and there didn't seem to be much sun. I would recommend using the outdoor pool on the Lido Deck aft by the Sea View Bar. No cover over the pool and not a lot of people used the pool or hot tub in that area. Lots of lounge chairs available. We were there a lot because of the starboard side being the only outdoor smoking area.

On 1/20/2020 at 5:40 PM, esimon said:

pean utter -  please check them out and report back -  I will be on 2/23 - they look great but will want some sun

Depends on what you mean by sun.  If you look at the posted pictures you will see that there is glass, these are not open areas.  Do you get to see the sun, yes...but if your looking to "catch" some sun you will have to find an open area.

They are free and we used them once on the K'dam which is where the pics look like they were taken.  They are a great area to lounge, read, take a nap but if I wanted to work on a tan I would find a spot open to the sky.  When the dome is closed not much air moves around in there. I did find them to be a bit noisy at times.

For a cost there is the retreat cabanas on the upper deck.  There you get your private area with loungers inside your cabana and there is an open area with loungers for your sun....

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 1:20 PM, lvz2cruz said:

We'll be boarding tomorrow from Chattanooga and Nashville.  We'll definitely check out this area.

On our Transatlantic K'dam cruises the Upper Deck loungers overlooking the center pool were used regularly. Once you're situated, you are looking at the the ocean thru glass and covered above with steel...so the Sunlight per se is mostly indirect. Down 'round the pool itself you might get more sun if the lid is open. Better sunbathing would be found at the Aft pool or up higher near the basketball court areas.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:55 AM, Djptcp said:

we noticed the roof covered about 2/3 of the pool area

It must have been mostly closed due to weather.

_______________________________________________________-

We had perfect, sunny weather all 10 days of the Koningsdam cruise and the roof was covering 2/3 of the area.  So it wasn't the weather at all. Not sure why - I didn't spend any time there so wasn't interested enough to inquire why.

I''ll be on the K'dam for the first time in March for a 32-day cruise around South America and have heard that the Aft (rear) pool is adults only...but have also heard that rule isn't enforced.  I considered the Retreat cabanas but they're smaller on the K'dam than the other ships and I like to have a little space.  On the deck plans, there are curved deck areas above the aft pool that look perfect for me so I'm hoping they won't be "reserved" with books at 8:00 am!

58 minutes ago, Queenvee said:

I''ll be on the K'dam for the first time in March for a 32-day cruise around South America and have heard that the Aft (rear) pool is adults only...but have also heard that rule isn't enforced.  I considered the Retreat cabanas but they're smaller on the K'dam than the other ships and I like to have a little space.  On the deck plans, there are curved deck areas above the aft pool that look perfect for me so I'm hoping they won't be "reserved" with books at 8:00 am!

I didn't see a lot of reserving on the upper deck. Lots of books and hats were enjoying their time near the pool, though.

• Haha 1

As I am not a pool person but love the vibe of the lido pool area that second story space with the little alcoves looks quite cozy and nice. Dh and I both are looking forwards to checking them out on the NS.

During the day what do they play on the big screen? I've never heard "HOT HOT HOT!" being boomed away from NS or K'dam when they do sail away in FLL... like a Carnival ship some of us know... 🤣

Edited by fatcat04

Be interesting to see how busy things are around the pool next summer when she is in Alaska.  Pools aren't exactly a must do activity in that environment, although hot tubs are a must.  We are on the August 29th sailing (first time sailing with HAL) and can't wait.  Even with having a balcony, looks like a nice area to sit, relax and watch the world go by with a nice hot chocolate in hand.

3 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

As I am not a pool person but love the vibe of the lido pool area that second story space with the little alcoves looks quite cozy and nice. Dh and I both are looking forwards to checking them out on the NS.

During the day what do they play on the big screen? I've never heard "HOT HOT HOT!" being boomed away from NS or K'dam when they do sail away in FLL... like a Carnival ship some of us know... 🤣

They play graphics. Moving geometric figures, slo-mo water drops (sometimes running backwards!). The water drops were mesmerizing, but also easy enough to ignore. No music, so it's quite peaceful. In the afternoon they play a nature video, but keep the sound off. 

I love the movies on the big screen at night. 

• Like 1

Catl331 - thank you for the photos - very useful!  I do like sun and the wide open view from the back of the ship, so these look like a great spot !  (The main/Lido pool is definitely not for me! Too many people.)  I've been on several other HAL ships but will be my first time on K'dam so am looking forward to the Coke machine, classical music venue, and all the other places to explore.