buying pure vanilla in the Caribbean

Loveretirement:)

We just bought a bottle at the market at the pier in Amber Cove (Dominican Republic) last week. It smelled real. I subsequently read that Curacao was a good place for it, although I didn't see it there (nor did I look for it).

I agree that Cozumel is good. But our cruise didn't go there (nor will the OP since they said their sailing is eastern and southern).

Edited by MisterBill99

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

We've always refilled our supply when we hit Cozumel.  I think you need to be in Mexico.

(It's good stuff and puts the grocery store stuff to shame)

Not to get too far off track here, but I couldn't agree more!  We bought so much I think we'll be good for a few years and I do a ton of baking!

I've bought several bottles of vanilla whenever we were in Mexico and i agree that it is great.  This particular cruise does not have any ports in Mexico and so I was hoping to find the vanilla elsewhere.  I will definitely have a look in Amber Cove and Curacao.  Many thanks for the advice.

Real vanilla extract is expensive - no matter where in the world you buy it.

If you find some “real” vanilla extract at a price that is too good to be true, it is exactly that.

Imitation vanilla extract looks great, smells great, and tastes very much like the real thing.

Unfortunately it is often made from very questionable products that could endanger your life. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Loveretirement:) said:

We are taking a southern and eastern Caribbean cruise and wondering where we can purchase pure vanilla extract.  Thanks for your help.

At Philipsburg, St.Maarten, port of call, there is a small hut, in the shopping area close to the pier, which ONLY sells PURE VANILLA, in various sizes and containers!

• Like 1

FWIW, I highly recommend the Los Cinco Soles brand from Mexico. (Photo below) A friend brought some back for me, from her Western Carib. cruise several years ago, and it was better than anything I ever had here in the U.S.

A lady I work with has brought back two of her favorite brands from Mexico for me. that she and her family love to use, and those just do not compare, so I use good old McCormick's Vanilla extract.

4A6D3F3A-167F-4535-8690-4AC0F9BCED4B.jpeg

If you are buying it, I agree...Los Cinco Soles. Why not just make your own? That is what I do. Get the vanilla beans while you are traveling or order them. Split them and put them in a bottle of vodka. I let mine set for about 6 months or longer....it is awesome!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

At Philipsburg, St.Maarten, port of call, there is a small hut, in the shopping area close to the pier, which ONLY sells PURE VANILLA, in various sizes and containers!

Well、it must be true then.

I cannot believe that any tourist shop in the Caribbean would intentionally mislead it’s cruise line customers......................

I purchased some in the Dominican Republic once - coloured water - pure scam! Subsequently I will ONLY purchase it from Spicy Caribee in San Juan - excellent choice of vanilla, coffee, hot sauces, and various spices. Highly recommend Spicy Caribee in Old SAN Juan!

11 hours ago, colonialinnkeeper said:

What is the proportion of vodka to vanilla beans?  Thanks.

I use 4 -5 beans for a liter of alcohol. You can look on Pinterest for their proportions. I also make other extracts...lemon, orange, cinnamon, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of your replies. The information has been quite helpful.

Here in Canada we do not have a Sam's club, our Costco does not sell pure vanilla extract and the vanilla from Amazon.ca is quite expensive.  Based on all of the suggestions, I think my best bet will be to make our own.  (In fact, I had an aunt who used to make a liqueur using vodka and vanilla beans.)

Again, thank you all so much for taking the time to answer my question.

• 2 years later...

Dominican Vanilla from reputable sources is actually clear and has wonderful flavour.  I purchased on a trip two years ago and will purchase again when I cruise there this fall.  I paid $8 usd  for 32 oz and it actually has a nicer flavour than mexican vanilla.