Internet plans

HakunaMatada

I see they now have 3 plans, and the most basic is 6.80 per person per day, we will be traveling with a teenager this time so Im sure we will get that for her.

Do they still also sell time plans? I can see myself checking facebook a few times but not enough to warrant buying a package.

There are no more "by the minute" plans.  The current plans are per log-in per day.  You could log into your device using your teen's log in (which would log him/her out) for a period of time and then they can log back in when you are done.  You can use the plans on multiple devices as long as only one device is logged in at a time.

17 minutes ago, HakunaMatada said:

I see they now have 3 plans, and the most basic is 6.80 per person per day, we will be traveling with a teenager this time so Im sure we will get that for her.

Do they still also sell time plans? I can see myself checking facebook a few times but not enough to warrant buying a package.

FYI, the social plan is not the full internet, it's more of a messaging platform. FB would require the mid plan or better.

2 hours ago, coevan said:

FYI, the social plan is not the full internet, it's more of a messaging platform. FB would require the mid plan or better.

Not true. The Social Media plan gets you onto all social media (including Facebook),  I believe that you are thinking of the HUB app messaging.

image.thumb.png.b72e8a286e52f8eb5a11918451eb7446.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richbum said:

Is this like the drink package where everyone in the room has to gt it...or can 1 person get it?

No.  Each individual can get whatever plan (or no plan) they want.  You can also get one plan and share it, but only one device can be logged in at any given time.

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

Not true. The Social Media plan gets you onto all social media (including Facebook),  I believe that you are thinking of the HUB app messaging.

image.thumb.png.b72e8a286e52f8eb5a11918451eb7446.png

I beg to differ, that's FB messaging, all the others are messaging platforms. I had the top speed on the Dream and could read FB, but pictures barely loaded. 

27 minutes ago, coevan said:

I beg to differ, that's FB messaging, all the others are messaging platforms. I had the top speed on the Dream and could read FB, but pictures barely loaded. 

I have never had an issue with FB (I don't use FB Messager) using the Social Media package and all others are not messaging platforms.  I was easily able to access LinkedIn, which is also considered to be social media.  I will concede that WhatsApp is a messaging platform, but Carnival has decided to lump that in with social media.  Think of it this way, all messaging platforms could be considered social media but not all social media is a messaging platform.  Sorry that you had issues with it, but you seem to continually be unable to grasp the concepts here.

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, coevan said:

1 hour ago, coevan said:

The Social plan is more than just a messaging plan. It's primarily a plan to access Social media websites/apps; hence the name, Social plan. It even lists them in the description: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn. Facebook Messenger is listed separately, along with SnapChat and WhatsApp, because the Social plan also allows messaging services, in addition to the aforementioned Social media.

Whether the internet speeds on a particular ship are sufficient enough for the plans to do what they're intended to do, that's a whole different issue. The fact is, social media sites (e.g. facebook) are accessible using the Social plan. Not only are you wrong, but when Shoifmom gave you the correct information, you doubled down with even more wrong info. If you aren't sure how all of it works, there's no shame in that, but please stop spreading incorrect information about onboard internet services.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, coevan said:

FB works fine on the Social plan. 

AFA pictures loading, yes it is a bit slow, but it worked fine (e.g. a post with a dozen pictures would take 15 minutes to upload).

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

The Social plan is more than just a messaging plan. It's primarily a plan to access Social media websites/apps; hence the name, Social plan. It even lists them in the description: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn. Facebook Messenger is listed separately, along with SnapChat and WhatsApp, because the Social plan also allows messaging services, in addition to the aforementioned Social media.

Whether the internet speeds on a particular ship are sufficient enough for the plans to do what they're intended to do, that's a whole different issue. The fact is, social media sites (e.g. facebook) are accessible using the Social plan. Not only are you wrong, but when Shoifmom gave you the correct information, you doubled down with even more wrong info. If you aren't sure how all of it works, there's no shame in that, but please stop spreading incorrect information about onboard internet services.

I'm having Deja Vu, think we have had this same discussion. I stand corrected. We have not been on the newer ships and find the wi-fi pathetically slow. It was my understanding if you wanted the full internet you need on of the top 2 tiers, is that correct?

44 minutes ago, jeditden said:

Forgive my ignorance, but would the social plan allow you to use regular text messaging if your phone supports wifi texting?

Officially, Carnival would say it isn't supported, other than the listed messaging services (if you wanted to categorize those as "texting"). They say that iMessages on iPhone aren't supported on the Social plan, but there are countless reports of people using iMessage just fine on Social. We were successful with it a few years ago, but buy the Value plan nowadays. So I guess the answer is, it probably would work, but there are no guarantees. By not officially supporting certain services that do actually work on the two lower-tiered plans, I think it's just Carnival's way of covering their rears in case people have trouble with it.

Cool, I'm the "turn the phone off and toss it in the safe for the cruise" kind of guy.  But my girlfriend has kids that won't be with us.  So she understandably wants to stay in touch just in case.  Figure I'll just start with the lowest tier plan and if it doesn't work, can always upgrade.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jeditden said:

Cool, I'm the "turn the phone off and toss it in the safe for the cruise" kind of guy.  But my girlfriend has kids that won't be with us.  So she understandably wants to stay in touch just in case.  Figure I'll just start with the lowest tier plan and if it doesn't work, can always upgrade.

Hey, don't feel the need to justify her phone use to me, or anyone else for that matter. I know some people on here like to lecture others about using phones on a cruise, but as far as I'm concerned, they need to worry about themselves and stop worrying about how the rest of us handle our own vacations. We like using our phones to communicate with one another onboard, with people back home, to have a camera handy, and we love the Hub app. For us, it doesn't take away from our cruise, it adds to it. To each their own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeditden said:

Forgive my ignorance, but would the social plan allow you to use regular text messaging if your phone supports wifi texting?

I don't think it will work with the social plan.  Never had luck with that on my wife's phone.

I have done it with the premium plan and value plan a few times.  It worked most of the time for wi-fi texting and calling, but there were times (a few hours here and there) that forever what reason, it would not.