Spelling of name on cruise reservation

krisean

Hi,

I am traveling with someone who's last name starts McP…. The booking by the TA for the cabin (HOTS in Nov 2020 if it matters) lists the name as Mcp.  So no capitalization on the P.  I requested that it be corrected to a capital P.   TA replied:  " and the P will not capitalized because the computer will not take like that".   Can anyone verify if this is correct?  Perhaps someone with an Mc name?  The person is a first time cruiser so they have no idea.  I always thought names had to match exactly but never gave capitialization any thought.

TIA!

1 hour ago, krisean said:

Hi,

Can anyone verify if this is correct?  Perhaps someone with an Mc name?  The person is a first time cruiser so they have no idea.  I always thought names had to match exactly but never gave capitialization any thought.

No problem.

My last name is  "McD."

Always shows as "Mcd"

Edited by GeeDunk

It should not matter.

As long as the actually spelling is correct.

I am a Junior, and some reservations systems used to not have a suffix field, and their name fields would not accept a space.  So my last name became Jonesjr (example, my last name is not Jones 🙂 ).  Or course my passport and DL show the name the normal way, Jones Jr.

The computers that the check-in agents use usually have a 'pop-up' question of "is this the correct passenger selected?"

In addition, there usually will be an override key that the check-in agent can use.  Sometimes supervisors need to do the override. Dealing with a minor name tweak happens all the time during check-in.

I got upset and worried years ago when my middle name initial (A) got attached to my first name on both my airline and cruiseline boarding passes.  I thought being called Roberta instead of Robert might make for some difficulty but I was assured on the phone prior to travel both passes would be accepted and they were, no problem.  This hasn't happened in the last 10 years so I assume IT adapted and corrected the mistake.

Other issues that might be worrisome are with names longer than the computer allotted number of spaces or with hyphenated names, yet usually pose no problem when boarding.  Happy sailing!

SWMBO's first name is in two parts, her green card and later her naturalization cert showed it as two parts:  XXX YYY.

When she applied for her US Passport, the first name on the application was typed in two parts.   The passport came back XXXYYY.

When we renewed her passport, again the application had her name in two parts.  We sent it in along with her expiring passport, it came back with her name in two parts 🤔 XXX YYY.

Obviously we book what ever her passport shows.