Dining Time On Alaskan Cruise

MickeyG

Greetings!

My wife and I will be on Celebrity Eclipse this summer, cruising to Alaska. We are planning to book shore excursions for each of the ports. Taking into consideration the month of the cruise (late August), our eastern time zone sleep patterns, and taking in as much as we can on land and sea, is there a preferred dining time we should request?

We have dined early, late and anytime dining on past cruises and am wondering if there may be a benefit to a specific time, given our cruise destination. We also enjoy the shows at the main stage but realize this may have to move down the priority list when taking into account excursions, dining, relaxing on board the ship, sleep (time change), etc.

We would appreciate any and all suggestions from past Alaska cruisers.

Thanks so much....Mick

We are also booked on an Alaska cruise.  Our group picked select dinning.  With most of the stops departing late there is no way you could do early dinning. Just nice to have the flexibility for select.  We did it for our Norweigan Fjords cruise and found it was great.

• Thanks 1

We did Alaska on NCL, and mostly ate at the buffet due to the make-up of our group. I can tell you that for us, eating inside (done once, in MDR) at sunset is The Worst Time. We missed, on our next-to-last night aboard, the only gorgeous sunset of the whole cruise.
But that was us, not frequent cruisers [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MickeyG said:

Greetings!

My wife and I will be on Celebrity Eclipse this summer, cruising to Alaska. We are planning to book shore excursions for each of the ports. Taking into consideration the month of the cruise (late August), our eastern time zone sleep patterns, and taking in as much as we can on land and sea, is there a preferred dining time we should request?

We have dined early, late and anytime dining on past cruises and am wondering if there may be a benefit to a specific time, given our cruise destination. We also enjoy the shows at the main stage but realize this may have to move down the priority list when taking into account excursions, dining, relaxing on board the ship, sleep (time change), etc.

We would appreciate any and all suggestions from past Alaska cruisers.

Thanks so much....Mick

We tended to eat on the later side due to the port schedule.  However, on a couple of nights, we ate at the Oceanview Buffet.  They had fresh fish there on a couple of nights.  But you had to like fish.  

• Thanks 1

If in the MDR we would also request select (ie, anytime dining) on an Alaska itinerary.  And you also may consider a meal or two in the Oceanview Cafe.  Celebrity has improved that evening buffet and it is a nice alternative, particularly when you have had a long day onshore.

• Thanks 1

Pick Select Dining and don't worry about making reservations ahead of time.  You may encounter a wait for a table but then you can decide each day what works best.  If that is not available, I would pick late dining to have more time in port where possible.

• Thanks 1