What to do after 5 in St Thomas?

squeeky336

My cruise ship is in ST Thomas until 10 PM. but from looking all over the net it appears they roll up the sidewalks at 5. I was goigto go Downtown in evening for stores and some dinner . But the stores all close early.. Can anyone tell me what there is to do and where in the evenings? 

Hi we are Florida ppl.. Taking  this cruise for my boyfriends BD.  We are on the Regal Princess March 29. I wanted to know if anyone can help me with shore excursions in ST Thomas or on our own.. The ship is in port for 12 hours which is good.. But the ship excursions as well as Shore trips are all morning trips..  What we want is the turtle swim that starts at 11 am ends at  2 pm and then to take a trip to Mountain Top and be dropped off for shopping in the historical district. 

I can't seem to find a shore excursion that will do both.. I would think I could with 12 hours in port.. Can you also tell me if it is easy to get a cab or bus back to the ship from the Historical district?  I think this is where the 99 Steps and the shopping both is. DOnt mind doing that pon our own.. But I am sure I need a trip to do a turtle swim and to go to Mountain Top. 

Any suggestions here 

What ship are you on? There are 2 docks and one has plenty of restaurants and shops that are open after 5.

There are private companies that offer night kayaking and snorkeling excursions. You can Google for them.

There's usually live entertainment at many restaurants even during the week. What day are you coming?

I will be coming in on the Regal Princess on April 4. The ship gets in at 10 am and leaves at 10 pm. I want to go swim with the turtles, see Paradise Point and go to the historical district for 99 steps and fort and  do shopping downtown.

• Like 1

squuky: Paradise Point is across the street from the WICO dock/Havensight. Mountain Top is a different site. When you get dropped back from your excursion, you could go downtown to shop and see the sites- put the St Thomas Synagogue on your list of historic sites to see. Then go up to Paradise Point, which will be open late. 😉

You can easily do everything you want using taxis, nice long time in port!

Take your excursion, after getting back and showering, taxi into town to see the historic area and do your shopping. Drop your stuff at the ship and taxi to Red Hook for a taste of the early nightlife there. Enjoy great burgers at the Tap & Still or delicious pizza at Island Time Pub. There may be early live music at one of the places there as well. Maybe have a couple drinks and meet others at Duffy's Love Shack before heading back to port. If you decide on spending some time at a beach after shopping, you could head to Sapphire which should have live music, then stop in near y Red Hook or head back to PP. Taxi fares would be ~5/pp between the port and CA, and $10/pp to Red Hook. You could also rent a car but taxis make more sense.

Alternatively you could shop/sightsee then enjoy the view from PP followed by a nice dinner at Mafolie overlooking the bay, or Oceana in Frenchtown. Many options with this long port stay...

• Like 1

If you are there on a Wednesday, you can take the Seahorse  water taxi trip to Jost Van Dyke which is what I have planned next year. We are also in port till 10 pm. 

It’s  next to impossible to get over there on a normally timed port stop leaving at 5 or so, and I plan to take full advantage of the long day. 

Edited by EatonDoolittle

No YAmin 999 was just helping me out.. I have a long day in St Thomas and want to make the most of it. I have it figured out and am going to take his advise.. I will go snorkel with the turtles in the morning and then take a taxi into town. After i might go to Paradise Point at the end of the day. 

Now if I cant get some advise on St Martin that would be kewl to. I want to go to Margot for some French  food and then to the nude beach. I do not want to take  a tour.. I hate being in a bus all day. any advise about transportation would be appreciated 

Jost is an excellent idea with a long port time.

Private excursion or water taxi...The $200 public ferry runs on the weekend while you are there but leaves at 7:30 AM so not an option...

For SXM we head to Friar's Bay beach just outside Grand Case (where you want to go for excellent French cuisine). Gorgeous, less touristy beach with surprisingly great French food at the beach club and a set of lounges w/umbrella is just $10. The beach is clothing optional and VERY French! No cruisers there when we visited while staying on the island...

Edited by blue_water

5 hours ago, blue_water said:

Jost is an excellent idea with a long port time.

Private excursion or water taxi...The $200 public ferry runs on the weekend while you are there but leaves at 7:30 AM so not an option...

For SXM we head to Friar's Bay beach just outside Grand Case (where you want to go for excellent French cuisine). Gorgeous, less touristy beach with surprisingly great French food at the beach club and a set of lounges w/umbrella is just $10. The beach is clothing optional and VERY French! No cruisers there when we visited while staying on the island...

What is SXM?  I am on a cruise so how do I get to Friar Beach Bay. Is it in Marigot?  I hear Marigot is only 4 city blocks. That is why I want to find a place to eat there and do shopping..  But then go to the nude beach..  You seem to have good advise but I am a little confused. Please clarify???? 

On 1/25/2020 at 10:36 AM, blue_water said:

You can easily do everything you want using taxis, nice long time in port!

You could also rent a car but taxis make more sense.

Per above,  it will be easy for you to use taxis to do whatever you wish.  

19 hours ago, squeeky336 said:

What is SXM?  I am on a cruise so how do I get to Friar Beach Bay. Is it in Marigot?  I hear Marigot is only 4 city blocks. That is why I want to find a place to eat there and do shopping..  But then go to the nude beach..  You seem to have good advise but I am a little confused. Please clarify???? 

SXM = St Maarten. Friars is just outside Grand Case.

you can learn a lot about the beaches and towns by researching on TripAdvisor (and there are great SXM) sites to ensure you have the best day ever

Still on SXM, I recommend Grand Case over Marigot for lunch because of the great food at the lolos and restaurants. Enjoy the beach there, or head to Happy Bay (a 10 min walk from Friar’s Bay) for a gorgeous secluded beach where you can wear (or not wear) what you want. 

You can also eat at the Friar’s Bay Beach Cafe or Kali’s Beach Bar. Friar’s is labeled a family-friendly beach, but residents and visitors do go topless, at least.

The only “designated” SXM nude beach is Orient which is on the east side of SXM...several restaurants and beach bars if you want to just taxi there...

• 2 weeks later...