Dining Reservations When Overnighting in Port

Broons77

For anyone that's done the 7 night Bermuda itineraries out of Boston/NY.  Or really any itinerary with multiple nights in the same port...

The specialty restaurants seem to book solid, but is this the case even on those nights spent in port?  I was thinking there may be folks that are off ship having dinner someplace local and the shipboard restaurants may ease up a bit in the event we decided to try something on the spur of the moment.

In my opinion - I will say specialty restaurants will still be booked solid. On my last cruise, I heard someone who had the dining package wasnt able to reserve for any restaurants because she booked too late or did not like any time/booking spots left (late hours/ time).

Lots of tables are held for onboard bookings. But you need to do that as soon as you embark. 

there is really nowhere to eat at the port and the public ferry To Hamilton does not run late except for Wednesday. Not easy to get around at night. Taxi or public bus. And it is a long way around the bay. 

Thanks Pooh/Bird, I thought that might be the case but wanted to ask the question.  I'll definitely be trying to make my reservations on line ahead of the cruise, I hear too many horror stories about getting shut out and don't want that disappointment.  But was curious in case we wanted to try something we didn't originally plan for.

13 minutes ago, Broons77 said:

Thanks Pooh/Bird, I thought that might be the case but wanted to ask the question.  I'll definitely be trying to make my reservations on line ahead of the cruise, I hear too many horror stories about getting shut out and don't want that disappointment.  But was curious in case we wanted to try something we didn't originally plan for.

Since you are on the Encore, research Harbor Nights. It’s a street fair in Hamilton on your first night in port. The restaurants in Hamilton will be open. And there is street food. Nothing really spectacular, just their local street fair. 

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Since you are on the Encore, research Harbor Nights. It’s a street fair in Hamilton on your first night in port. The restaurants in Hamilton will be open. And there is street food. Nothing really spectacular, just their local street fair. 

😂

We were on the Encore, but I rebooked to the Gem.  My mother revolted at the proposition of a 'mega' ship and when mom ain't happy, ain't no one happy.

Unfortunately, we'll miss it as we're in port Sun - Tues on the Boston itineraries.  I had heard of it and wanted to check it out, but no such luck.  Guess I'll have to book another cruise... 😁

1 hour ago, Broons77 said:

We were on the Encore, but I rebooked to the Gem.  My mother revolted at the proposition of a 'mega' ship and when mom ain't happy, ain't no one happy.

You have a smart Mom!  The Gem is a comfortable size and a great ship.  We just got off our fourth cruise on her (a 20-nighter).  

Just expanding on this a little, in case anyone else comes along and reads this thread in the future.

I have stayed overnight about 10 times, and at every single one of them the restaurants have been a lot quieter than usual. For example, on one occasion, you could have just walked up to Teppanyaki on a ship with just one table.

It may be different in Hamilton, but my experience is that it is generally very quiet on those nights.

• Like 1

To comment on something an earlier poster said- there are plenty of places to eat at the port in Bermuda.  Off the top of my head Frog & Onion is right there and we had two really good meals at the Dockyard Pastry Shophttps://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g562685-d3726875-Reviews-The_Dockyard_Pastry_Shop-Sandys_Parish_Bermuda.html.  Lots of other choices too. 

We did Moderno one night and it was at least half empty (don’t know if the reservations were all gone, though).  Hibachi is always booked solid since it’s family friendly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

You have a smart Mom!  The Gem is a comfortable size and a great ship.  We just got off our fourth cruise on her (a 20-nighter).  

I know you did, I read every last word of that thread and have been furiously researching canal cruises as a result!

I have been on Rhapsody OTS which is almost the exact same size and I loved it.  I don't need a lot of bells and whistles on my cruises, just give me some good food, make my bed and have someone nearby to bring me a cocktail and I'm happy.  I'm very much looking forward to it as I've seen many folks on this board that rave about the Gem.

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Just expanding on this a little, in case anyone else comes along and reads this thread in the future.

I have stayed overnight about 10 times, and at every single one of them the restaurants have been a lot quieter than usual. For example, on one occasion, you could have just walked up to Teppanyaki on a ship with just one table.

It may be different in Hamilton, but my experience is that it is generally very quiet on those nights.

1 hour ago, raitch said:

To comment on something an earlier poster said- there are plenty of places to eat at the port in Bermuda.  Off the top of my head Frog & Onion is right there and we had two really good meals at the Dockyard Pastry Shophttps://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g562685-d3726875-Reviews-The_Dockyard_Pastry_Shop-Sandys_Parish_Bermuda.html.  Lots of other choices too. 

We did Moderno one night and it was at least half empty (don’t know if the reservations were all gone, though).  Hibachi is always booked solid since it’s family friendly.

So I took a look at the Bermuda topic in the POC boards and was surprised as I didn't seem much in the way of dining suggestions aside from where to get a good fish sandwich (which I need to try!).  I may do a quick review post after we get back and focus on this.  I'll make mention of what we see on the ship as far as crowds go.

• Like 1

Just now, Broons77 said:

So I took a look at the Bermuda topic in the POC boards and was surprised as I didn't seem much in the way of dining suggestions aside from where to get a good fish sandwich (which I need to try!).  I may do a quick review post after we get back and focus on this.  I'll make mention of what we see on the ship as far as crowds go.

The Swizzle Inn makes a fantastic fish sandwich.  Certainly have lunch there!

• Like 1

I stick with my story that there ain’t much at the port at dinner time and the vast majority of the 4500 passengers and 1600 crew are not having dinner at the pastry shop. They are on the ship. We will be there in a few months on the Encore and plan to book dinners on the ship nightly. 

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I stick with my story that there ain’t much at the port at dinner time and the vast majority of the 4500 passengers and 1600 crew are not having dinner at the pastry shop. They are on the ship. We will be there in a few months on the Encore and plan to book dinners on the ship nightly. 

I'll be booking ahead as well.  You spend all this money, you want to get the most out of it so why not take the 15 mins ahead of time and book your dinners rather than wait until getting on board? 

As you made mention, I'm curious if the size of the ship plays into it.  A bigger boat tends to be the attraction so many of the folks on board are there because of all the choices.  Smaller boat with fewer choices, people may not feel so bad about exploring in the port.

3 hours ago, Broons77 said:

I'll be booking ahead as well.  You spend all this money, you want to get the most out of it so why not take the 15 mins ahead of time and book your dinners rather than wait until getting on board? 

As you made mention, I'm curious if the size of the ship plays into it.  A bigger boat tends to be the attraction so many of the folks on board are there because of all the choices.  Smaller boat with fewer choices, people may not feel so bad about exploring in the port.

It is best to book ahead. If you need to make any changes on board like a cancellation, so do before the 24 hr for that specific restaurant. Of course, the size of the cruise ship will play a role in it. But either ways,  most people will spend the night / eat dinner on board. They paid for this, why spend extra monies on food. A fish sandwich or a lobster roll - you can try it. But this is usually in the morning / during the tour. But for a family dinner - it sound more costly. Only spend monies on special food that the cruise ship does not have.