Sunday Mass on departure day

mom4mom

5 minutes ago, Himself said:

"ASSIST"  is an old Catholic term which woul means participate.

Participation is the key. "Attend" tends to be too passive, like sitting in the audience for a concert or a play. "Assist" makes the gal or guy in the pew a member of the ensemble.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Himself said:

That $25.00 per day you were charged goes to the booking agent HAL worked through.  This agent would book other talent such as comedians, magicians and other such entertainers.

That sounds about right. I always hoped I had talent and apparently I once did!

30 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

Participation is the key. "Attend" tends to be too passive, like sitting in the audience for a concert or a play. "Assist" makes the gal or guy in the pew a member of the ensemble.

I think the interpretation came about due to a language difference.  The originator is probably French-Canadian.

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

That is QUICK!!  Good thing you had your stopwatch handy......

It was normal for me to check the current time after Mass when I was attending on my lunch break. It helped ensure I would arrive back at place of employment on time.  

5 hours ago, Himself said:

"ASSIST"  is an old Catholic term which woul means participate.

With respect,

Those of us  who are not members of Catholic faith. are not likely to know that,  are we?  .  Thanks   for  'filling us in..  Wish  someone had done so sooner.  🙂

Edited by sail7seas

The idea of a Catholic priest on board is more for the benefit of the crew. In the early days of HAL, the crew was mostly from the Phillipines and predominately Catholic.

The Catholics believe that a priest is an intermediary between man and God.

I'm not sure of the Jewish faith/beliefs but Protestants from Luther, Calvin, Knox et al believed that there was no need for an intermediary and that it was direct connection between Man and God.The Muslims also believe that there was no need for a priest/intermediary between Man and God. An Imim is a religious teacher but not a necessity in its Faith.

So the fact that the crew may be mostly Catholic would fairly mean the necessity of a priest to practice its Faith.

For Protestants and Muslims, there is a direct connection between them and God and no need for an Intermediary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1