Sunday Mass on departure day

mom4mom

Wow!  I didn't realize I would get such good response from my question.  This is our first sailing on HAL with most of our experience on RCCL. On Royal, they only tend to have a priest on board on transatlantics.  One time, I had mistakenly assumed that they would provide one on another 14 day cruise and was extremely disappointed when they didn't.  But I did attend the non-denominational service on Sunday and was surprised to see less people in attendance than what is usually at a daily Mass. I've arranged a group of 20 cabins from my Catholic Church and we are grateful that HAL provides this service even on short voyages.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bruinboy said:

I am a retired Presbyterian pastor. I served as a Protestant Chaplain on the Maasdam during a Panama Canal passage back in 2004 prior to my recent retirement. My memory is not all that clear since it was 15 plus years ago, but here is what I remember. The protestant chaplains were booked by a private agency for HAL. We had to submit all sorts of paper work in terms of vetting. The Protestant chaplains were retained for cruises longer than seven days. My cruise was fifteen days. I did worship services on Sundays, sea days, marriage renewal ceremonies and counseling as requested. I was given an inside cabin, but not where the crew sleeps. My cost for the cruise was transportation to and from the ship plus  twenty-five dollars a day for the cruise. We ate in the Lido or Main Dining Room.  My wife could come for an additional twenty-five dollars a day which she did. They suspended this program a number of years ago, I believe at least five years ago, if not more. As far as I know the Catholic priest does double duty ... mass plus interdenominational services. I was hoping to continue doing this after retirement when I had more flexibility, but that is no longer an option. I still love and sail HAL, however.

Thanks for your response!

It really is too bad HAL did away with the program as having a non-catholic pastor on board as well, would be a benefit to those (like myself) who don't observe the catholic religion.

Tis Himself who finally caught this post.  I will respond.  When the ship ls in port The Mass is at 5PM and that includes the day a voyage commences.  The priest receives no monetary compensation. At Catholic Masses there is a collection box.  The funds go to two maritime charities.  No money goes to the priest.  The priest goes as a service stall member and gets a crew room.  He has dining room privilrfges.  However if the priest goes to a specialty. restaurant he pays just like any one else.  It used to be tat on cruises over 10 days, a minister used to be taken.  This stopped several years ago much to my disappointment.   I hope I have answered all questions.  Look at the entry of Pettronellus.  What did not say, he did say. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2020 at 10:24 AM, dd likes to cruise said:

If attending Mass is important to you, I would find a church prior to getting on board Sunday morning. Should be easy. And no worries later if there is not one on board. Also there is Saturday night Vigil for you too. 

Yes ^^^^, 

then you know you have taken practical steps to satisfy your wish  for Mass.  Personal responsibilty and all that.  You have plenty of time to plan .

6 hours ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

Thanks for your response!

It really is too bad HAL did away with the program as having a non-catholic pastor on board as well, would be a benefit to those (like myself) who don't observe the catholic religion.

Even for some of  the most important holidays, HAL does not always have a Rabbi on  board.  They must think it adequate they provide  a room for a service and leave it  to  a fellow  guest(a lay person)  to lead the service      Not  good     IMO

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 1:53 PM, sansterre said:

So it seems that it is like the Medical staff on board the ships.  It puzzles me that the Protestant, Jewish, and other faiths don't have something similar.

The medical staff are part of the crew.  Not a concession staff

On one of the Mexican Riviera  cruises I was on the priest helped out the staff in so many ways. We were delayed in clearing in Cabo by some 2 hours and the “natives we’re getting restless.”  It was standing room only in the showroom at sea, the CD was trying to entertain with trivia, and the priest was right there, helping, calming people down, supporting Shorex staff and really doing a great job with some pretty upset pax.

He provided leadership for our interdenominational Sunday service (and seemed happy to see me at Mass).

So count me in with those who appreciate the priests onboard.

18 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

On one of the Mexican Riviera  cruises I was on the priest helped out the staff in so many ways. We were delayed in clearing in Cabo by some 2 hours and the “natives we’re getting restless.”  It was standing room only in the showroom at sea, the CD was trying to entertain with trivia, and the priest was right there, helping, calming people down, supporting Shorex staff and really doing a great job with some pretty upset pax.

He provided leadership for our interdenominational Sunday service (and seemed happy to see me at Mass).

So count me in with those who appreciate the priests onboard.

I hope HAL appreciates what a competitive advantage HAL has garnered for itself by continuing to make room for an on-board chaplain.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Petronillus said:

I hope HAL appreciates what a competitive advantage HAL has garnered for itself by continuing to make room for an on-board chaplain.

When I sailed on Oceania, the lack of a priest was one of the things (one of many) that I didn't like about the line. 

2 hours ago, Petronillus said:

One of the things forget is that Catholics are bound to assist at Holy Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation.

10 hours ago, Himself said:

One of the things forget is that Catholics are bound to assist at Holy Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation.

The above post should read is as follows:

Catholics are bound under pain of most serious sin is to assist at Holy Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation.

AS a Catholic cruiser, I am most happy HAL is open to  having Mass on board.  As a Catholic priest, I most happy to offer the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass for those traveling on HAL ships for passengers and crew.  On each Sunday Mass there is always a Mass offered for the Crew.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 8:34 AM, mom4mom said:

We are boarding the Oosterdam on Sun, 5/17.  I know HAL has a priest on every sailing.  Will he say Mass after departure at 4pm?  If so will it be before or after dinner?

I once had a 5PM Mass on departure day and had someone say:  Father make it quick, I have a 5:15 PM dinner in the Pinnacle.  This was on a Sunday afternoon.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Himself said:

I once had a 5PM Mass on departure day and had someone say:  Father make it quick, I have a 5:15 PM dinner in the Pinnacle.  This was on a Sunday afternoon.

I have seen some QUICK Masses, but never a 15 minute one!

8 hours ago, Himself said:

The above post should read is as follows:

Catholics are bound under pain of most serious sin is to assist at Holy Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation.

AS a Catholic cruiser, I am most happy HAL is open to  having Mass on board.  As a Catholic priest, I most happy to offer the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass for those traveling on HAL ships for passengers and crew.  On each Sunday Mass there is always a Mass offered for the Crew.

Do the lay persons conduct the service or do they assist?

Lead nurse , yes,   is crew but I don't think doctors   are 'crew' as they come and go.

On 1/27/2020 at 8:05 PM, boone2 said:

The medical staff are part of the crew.  Not a concession staff

sist?  I  probably  have no idea what is required but can only an ordained priest say mass?

When I commented ab out  lack of a Rabbi for even some 'big' holidays and if there is to  be a service, no choice but for a lay person  to  (hopefully) volunteer 

Edited by sail7seas

On 1/26/2020 at 6:56 PM, Bruinboy said:

I am a retired Presbyterian pastor. I served as a Protestant Chaplain on the Maasdam during a Panama Canal passage back in 2004 prior to my recent retirement. My memory is not all that clear since it was 15 plus years ago, but here is what I remember. The protestant chaplains were booked by a private agency for HAL. We had to submit all sorts of paper work in terms of vetting. The Protestant chaplains were retained for cruises longer than seven days. My cruise was fifteen days. I did worship services on Sundays, sea days, marriage renewal ceremonies and counseling as requested. I was given an inside cabin, but not where the crew sleeps. My cost for the cruise was transportation to and from the ship plus  twenty-five dollars a day for the cruise. We ate in the Lido or Main Dining Room.  My wife could come for an additional twenty-five dollars a day which she did. They suspended this program a number of years ago, I believe at least five years ago, if not more. As far as I know the Catholic priest does double duty ... mass plus interdenominational services. I was hoping to continue doing this after retirement when I had more flexibility, but that is no longer an option. I still love and sail HAL, however.

Thank you for this post.  I had remembered some cruises with a minister on board and we enjoyed attending those services and also hymn sings on Sea Days.  As I devout Lutheran I really miss those services.  I am not very comfortable with the Catholic service and I believe they are not comfortable with non-Catholics taking their communion.  I wish HAL would have Protestant Chaplains on all cruises, and most especially on those that are more than 21 days.

Do you remember who you submitted the paper work to?  I'd be interested to find out what cruise lines  they supply chaplains to.

1 hour ago, sansterre said:

Thank you for this post.  I had remembered some cruises with a minister on board and we enjoyed attending those services and also hymn sings on Sea Days.  As I devout Lutheran I really miss those services.  I am not very comfortable with the Catholic service and I believe they are not comfortable with non-Catholics taking their communion.  I wish HAL would have Protestant Chaplains on all cruises, and most especially on those that are more than 21 days.

Do you remember who you submitted the paper work to?  I'd be interested to find out what cruise lines  they supply chaplains to.

I’m sorry, I do not.  All I recall was it was a third party. I was on their list for five or six years, but was only able to get away for one cruise. Oh well. The company, not HAL, would send out a list of cruises each year and then you would let them know those you would be able to do.  Three or four times a year an urgent email would come for a cruise in the next week or two where another clergy person had to back out at the last minute. I had a colleague who served on ten or twelve HAL cruises and another who served on four or five. I’m not aware of any cruise lines who are looking for Protestant clergy these days. 

BTW ... I hesitate to volunteer as I recall the serious vetting system and would not like to break any rules!!!  I did enjoy the cruise director on an Easter cruise on Princess leading worship on Easter night. The venue was packed. I appreciated the effort.

5 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

If I may, I believe the term would be "attend" mass rather than "assist".

Daisy-mae,

😉   If I may ....

ASSist is the word used......  inpost #36  above about which  the reason for my question. 

Catholics are bound under pain of most serious sin is to assist    

at Holy

Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation. 

Edited by sail7seas

37 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Daisy-mae,

😉   If I may ....

ASSist is the word used......  inpost #36  above about which  the reason for my question. 

Quite right, sail7seas. In fact the term was first used in post #35, which is the one that I should have quoted.

I was a little puzzled by the use of the term "assist", which is actually the French equivalent of attend, as in "assister à la messe".

On 1/26/2020 at 5:56 PM, Bruinboy said:

That $25.00 per day you were charged goes to the booking agent HAL worked through.  This agent would book other talent such as comedians, magicians and other such entertainers.