From Airport in New York to New Jersey port

D & S

Trying to decide how difficult it would be to fly into airport in New York and get to terminal in Bayonne for cruise in a few months.  Coming in the day before so no ship transportation and will be on our own.  Cheaper on S/W to fly into New York as they no longer fly to New Jersey.  Any ideas on how difficult, cost and best way to get to New Jersey>  Thanks for your info .

11 hours ago, D & S said:

Trying to decide how difficult it would be to fly into airport in New York and get to terminal in Bayonne for cruise in a few months.  Coming in the day before so no ship transportation and will be on our own.  Cheaper on S/W to fly into New York as they no longer fly to New Jersey.

Not overly difficult but it would be a bit easier flying into EWR. With that said I would just book either Dial 7 or Carmel car service to get from either LGA/JFK to New Jersey. I know you said you were flying in the day before so if you are staying in Manhattan you can also just jump in a cab from either airport, but don't take a NYC yellow taxi to New Jersey--  it will be more expensive than the car services I mentioned before. 

DH and I are booked for Canada/New England cruise from NYC in September. We're also flying in the day before. I've booked Carmel for transportation from LGA to Manhattan. Cost is +/- $60.00, which includes tolls and gratuities. I haven't yet booked transport from the hotel to the port for the following day, as I don't know yet what my check-in time for the cruise is. If the trip from LGA to Manhattan goes well, I may use the same service for the quick trip to the cruise ship the next day.

Have you looked at the total cost of flying a different airline into EWR? I know SWA has free bags, but that doesn't mean their fare with free bags is higher than another airline's fare and pre-paying bags. I have nothing against SWA, but they are rarely the least expensive airline these days.

That doesn't fully apply if your plan is to spend time in Manhattan, but that's not clear from the original question.

18 hours ago, D & S said:

Any ideas on how difficult, cost and best way to get to New Jersey>  Thanks for your info .

Minimum $125 each way for car service from LGA or JFK to cruise port area. If you are staying in NYC, car service costs less and taxi has fixed fare to Manhattan. 

From NYC to Bayonne, car service or less convenient public transit to Cape Liberty.

If disembarkation is a weekday and flying from NY,  allow generous time for transit to airport.

Edited by meadowlander

17 hours ago, Mother27 said:

DH and I are booked for Canada/New England cruise from NYC in September. We're also flying in the day before. I've booked Carmel for transportation from LGA to Manhattan. Cost is +/- $60.00, which includes tolls and gratuities. I haven't yet booked transport from the hotel to the port for the following day, as I don't know yet what my check-in time for the cruise is. If the trip from LGA to Manhattan goes well, I may use the same service for the quick trip to the cruise ship the next day.

Which ship are you sailing on?  The advice is to plan to arrive at Cape Liberty between 10 and 10:30 regardless of what time is suggested by the cruiseline.  This is to avoid the traffic delays getting to the drop off.

Edited by 138east

3 hours ago, 138east said:

Which ship are you sailing on?  The advice is to plan to arrive at Cape Liberty between 10 and 10:30 regardless of what time is suggested by the cruiseline.  This is to avoid the traffic delays getting to the drop off.

Sorry - we're on Carnival Radiance, departing from NYC.

Thank you for all the suggestions.  I think Markeb is right to check other airlines flying into EWR even if it is more considering the cost of transportation from New York to Bayonne cruise terminal.  Also, good tip on getting to the cruise terminal early with all the traffic and traffic getting out of New York.   I will check the two car services mentioned just to get an idea.  Thanks to everyone.  

Clarifications - 

yellow taxi fare in NYC is metered, exception is from JFK Airport to/from anywhere in Manhattan - on a special flat rate + surcharges/tolls & tips - about $75 one-way.  Typically good for 4 passengers with carry-on luggage (unless it's a minivan or one of the newer Nissan/Ford Transit) or 3 passengers with reasonable checked luggage.  

Taxi fare to/from LGA is a metered fare, plus surcharges, toll & tips - depending on traffic/road conditions (and weather) - variable around $45 to $55 on average to midtown West/Times Square hotels.  

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

mking8288;  would you say about another $10 for taxi from LGA to Financial District?

Yes, that's about right on average based on distance/mileage chart used by the taxis.  From LGA to FD/Lower Manhattan, there are 4 possible routing - 3 river crossing that's toll-free (still, for now ...) and the QMT (Queens Midtown Tunnel with a EZ-Pass toll of $5.76 for yellow taxi (whereas car services/FHV/Uber, etc. is permitted to charge/collect the cash rate of $9.50).  Brooklyn Bridge is the most likely toll-free route w. Manhattan Bridge as the 2nd. likely, again, all these depending on traffic, weather & road conditions.  Odds are that, pro' drivers are all using real-time GPS Nav like Waze or Google Maps, etc. to help with routing, as a rider - it's very easy to take out your own smartphone & cross-check yourself; and, not get taken for a long, scenic ride with "extra" charges on the basis of distance, i.e. up to the RFK Bridge (tolled) & then the FDR Drive South to downtown - but if that is a massive gridlock on the usual & shorter route thru Queens to Brooklyn for Manhattan - this is a "valid" routing.  

On a weekend afternoon, it took me 90+ minutes to get from mid-Queens (about same distance as LGA) to get into mid-town Manhattan, ignoring & not paying attention to what Waze was telling me - 1 of 2 "tubes" in the tunnel closed and 1 lane only each direction in the 2nd. tube for weekend traffic / construction & maintenance for post Sandy recovery (2 years ago ... I think)  Fortunately, wasn't heading to the airport or to embark on a cruise - DW gave me an earful.  That extra hour would've cost quite a bit if riding in a taxi - coming from LGA = $$$ but not from JFK as it is a flat rate (and, there're quite a few taxis sitting in that moving parking lot as we called it, bumper to bumper ... cashless EZ-Pass toll not helping one bit. 

Alas, there isn't a typical day in NYC traffic ... and, for that matter, in the tri-state NY area.  Short answer, if the taxi driver is nice & find that the toll-less bridge crossing is best, the fare might not be much more than going to Times Square area, possibly $5 more than midtown with the toll added. 

mking8288; thanks for the info.  I plan to book my flights in non rush hour;  if there is one.  Arrive LGA around 9:30am; and we will be departing from Red Hook terminal on a Saturday with a 1pm flight booked.