PORTLAND AND BAR HARBOR TOWN

irish2005

Bar Harbor is very walk-able with plenty of restaurants, shops, and a few small parks right in town.  I recommend CJ's Big Dipper for homemade ice cream and Reel Pizza Cinerama for pizza (get a pie to go and eat in the park! Try the Moonstruck with added roasted garlic... yum!).

I can only speak to Portland as I spend my summers up there. It is generally walkable down by the port on Commercial St. There are plenty of restaurants and nice shops along the water there. You state its hard for you to walk far, so I'd say stick to Commercial. Portland is rather hilly down by Old Port so navigating the other streets may be a little difficult for you.

Portland is very walkable and is a wonderful small 'town'. (Full disclosure used to live there and trying to move back).  There are some wonderful stores in the area and restaurants. There is a great small jewelry store called d cole which I love. 

In Portland it is about a 1/4 mile from the ship to the main road(Commercial Street) and then another 1/4 mile down Commercial Street to the where the shopping area, restaurants and wharf's start.  Commercial street is the road that runs along the harbor.  It is all flat.

In Bar Harbor it's only about 200 feet to town from where the tender drops you off.

54 minutes ago, irish2005 said:

didnt know if the town was far from the port we are both in our 70s and cant walk too far.

Your original question made it sound like you thought you couldn't get off the ship without an excursion, like some Russian port stops.

11 minutes ago, fred30 said:

In Portland it is about a 1/4 mile from the ship to the main road(Commercial Street) and then another 1/4 mile down Commercial Street to the where the shopping area, restaurants and wharf's start.  Commercial street is the road that runs along the harbor.  It is all flat.

In Bar Harbor it's only about 200 feet to town from where the tender drops you off.

thank you so much

My husband has congestive heart failure and has a hard time breathing when he walks too far.  He found out there is a bookstore in the main section of Portland, and I couldn't keep up with him trying to walk to it. (Yes, he is passionate about books!)  So if he can walk around Portland without trouble, you will be able also.  I found it to be a quaint, beautiful town.  He had no trouble in Bar Harbor either because he was seeking a good lobster tail which he got at Geddy's.  Have fun!!! 

• Like 1