Haven Question vs. Other Options, please help.

js

Hi.

We are Platinum on NCL and our next sailing is on the Encore in August. 

I have two Haven cabins booked, an H4 and an H5 (reg. Haven balcony room in Haven so not sure if H5 is correct).

I am also Diamond (use to be Black) on MSC, and sailing YC for the third year in a row next month on Seaside.

Although my mom sails with us in the summer (family of four but adult kids), it is just the two of us for our February sailings.

For next February we wanted to change it up a little but not sure what we should do.  I wanted to sail Harmony in a regular balcony

but my mom only wants Haven, YC or something similar.

For February 20, 2021 I can get Seaside YC for $4277.88 (this includes spa area and alcohol)

For February, 2021, I can get NCL Escape (our favorite ship) for $4776.80 or $4811.80 (one is regular Haven balcony, one is Spa but I can't remember which one).

The NCL price reflects the "free" specialty and alcohol grat.

We love the YC experience but next month is our third year in a row.  I love NCL and willing to pay a little extra, although we will be sailing in August, six months prior to November.

Are there any other cruiselines that I should look into for the ship within a ship experience? RCCL doesn't give that separate area, so we always sail balcony with them and I am also familiar with the brand, we are Diamond.  My budget is $5,000 or little higher if the experience warrants the extra cost.  Changing the month is not an option, she likes to get out of the freezing cold in February so we book a few days in Florida and then sail.

If you got this far, I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you very much!

Edited by js

To my understanding, NCL and MSC are the only ones that offer the true ship within a ship experience within the mass cruise line market.  The high end market offers Haven-like amenities, but to the entire ship and at a much higher cost.

3 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

To my understanding, NCL and MSC are the only ones that offer the true ship within a ship experience within the mass cruise line market.  The high end market offers Haven-like amenities, but to the entire ship and at a much higher cost.

Thank you.

The higher-end markets don't really sail in Caribbean do they and I can't get a cabin (at lowest balcony)

for approximately $5,000 I'm guessing.  I was wondering about Celebrity but when I quickly looked last night

I think the prices are closer to $7,000 and I want the ship within the ship experience.

Thanks.

Royal does have separate areas for the suite guests on their newer ships.  They have a dedicated restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  The Jr suites get access only for dinner but their higher end suites can eat all meals there.  There is a suite lounge with free alcohol at certain times and a suite sundeck. 
Go to youtube and check out these posh private areas on RCCL for their suite guests.  The Symphony of the Seas and Harmony of the seas are especially nice.  They have not one but 2 concierge desks inside the restaurant.  And don't forget about Royal's Genie program which is like a super butler and almost like a personal assistant.  Genies are for Royals higher end suites.

37 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Royal does have separate areas for the suite guests on their newer ships.  They have a dedicated restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  The Jr suites get access only for dinner but their higher end suites can eat all meals there.  There is a suite lounge with free alcohol at certain times and a suite sundeck. 
Go to youtube and check out these posh private areas on RCCL for their suite guests.  The Symphony of the Seas and Harmony of the seas are especially nice.  They have not one but 2 concierge desks inside the restaurant.  And don't forget about Royal's Genie program which is like a super butler and almost like a personal assistant.  Genies are for Royals higher end suites.

The problem with RCCL is you share the dedicated restaurant with their Diamond and above passengers.

36 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Thank you. I am aware they have their dedicated restaurant but is there an actual dedicated area like YC or Haven to hang out in during the day or is it where there are "public" areas are sections roped off for suite guests?

Thank you.

48 minutes ago, dporter said:

Check Celebrity, Millennium and Solstice class ships in a suite, they have a separate dining area, outdoor area (hot tub only), lounge/bar.  

Thank you. I will look.

1 hour ago, dporter said:

Check Celebrity, Millennium and Solstice class ships in a suite, they have a separate dining area, outdoor area (hot tub only), lounge/bar.  

Is this the Edge and Apex? I'm on their site now.

Done both MSC YC and NCL Haven several times.  Both have a dedicated area for their respective categories.  Have looked at RCCL Suites in the past.  They were always significantly more expensive and seemed to not match up directly with either MSC or NCL for free drinks whenever/wherever.  Although, their Coastal Kitchen (Private Suite restaurant) seems to have had mixed reviews.

I have wavered recently whether I'd spend the extra $$$$ for either YC (I'm Diamond also) or Haven (Platinum).  NCL offers me "All for free" in a balcony or above recently.  Add the 2 specialty dinners I get for being Platinum, and I really only eat in the specialty restaurants.  So, Haven restaurant is of limited benefit.  Free drinks (not including gratuities) are another perk I get as well as some on board credit, a bit of free internet usage and a shore excursion credit for each stop, NCL makes it hard for me to look elsewhere.  For a balcony cabin that's not a spillway, I get all the above....usually all in for $2K or less.  I'd pay 2X+ that to get the concierge, butler, private bar and restaurant in the Haven.

Seems I'm invited to a lot of "private events" already on my NCL cruises, it's almost like I don't need much help from a Butler or a Concierge.

js- my go to cruise lines are NCL and MSC now because of the ship within a ship concept.

Comparing Haven and Yacht club to suite options on other cruise lines is apples to oranges. Two completely different experiences. Most of those, trying to come close, the price they are charging are outrageous. 😱

44 minutes ago, Debde said:

js- my go to cruise lines are NCL and MSC now because of the ship within a ship concept.

Comparing Haven and Yacht club to suite options on other cruise lines is apples to oranges. Two completely different experiences. Most of those, trying to come close, the price they are charging are outrageous. 😱

Thank you.  NCL and MSC are also our go to lines.

Sailing with my family, we do NCL.  Their nightlife is fabulous and doesn't compare to MSC (even RCCL in my opinion).

Thanks.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Done both MSC YC and NCL Haven several times.  Both have a dedicated area for their respective categories.  Have looked at RCCL Suites in the past.  They were always significantly more expensive and seemed to not match up directly with either MSC or NCL for free drinks whenever/wherever.  Although, their Coastal Kitchen (Private Suite restaurant) seems to have had mixed reviews.

I have wavered recently whether I'd spend the extra $$$$ for either YC (I'm Diamond also) or Haven (Platinum).  NCL offers me "All for free" in a balcony or above recently.  Add the 2 specialty dinners I get for being Platinum, and I really only eat in the specialty restaurants.  So, Haven restaurant is of limited benefit.  Free drinks (not including gratuities) are another perk I get as well as some on board credit, a bit of free internet usage and a shore excursion credit for each stop, NCL makes it hard for me to look elsewhere.  For a balcony cabin that's not a spillway, I get all the above....usually all in for $2K or less.  I'd pay 2X+ that to get the concierge, butler, private bar and restaurant in the Haven.

Seems I'm invited to a lot of "private events" already on my NCL cruises, it's almost like I don't need much help from a Butler or a Concierge.

Thanks.  I really don't need help from a butler or concierge either.  It is the actual day/nights of the cruise that is a fully different experience being in the Haven/YC vs. pool deck or other areas of the ship.  Breakfast, lunches, dedicated bars, etc.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

APEX has a nice itinerary in Feb and The Retreat area is basically a "ship within a ship" experience.

Thank you.

This is very helpful.

On the site now.

Just sent the information to my TA since they discount the cruises.

Thanks.

Edited by js

1 hour ago, js said:

Is this the Edge and Apex? I'm on their site now.

The Edge and Apex are their newest ships, I haven't sailed those.  I bet they do have areas for suites, they call the Suite areas The Retreat.  

Here's a link to the Edge: https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-ships/celebrity-edge/staterooms

The retreat on Celebrity looks much nicer than the Haven.  I priced 2 bedroom suite on the Edge and it was smaller than NCL and much more expensive than the Encore (if you can believe that). However this was almost 2 years ago when Encore was still under construction and Edge was the brand new ship.  Prices for Encore have went up, not sure about Edge.

Edited by david_sobe

36 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

The retreat on Celebrity looks much nicer than the Haven.  I priced 2 bedroom suite on the Edge and it was smaller than NCL and much more expensive than the Encore (if you can believe that). However this was almost 2 years ago when Encore was still under construction and Edge was the brand new ship.  Prices for Encore have went up, not sure about Edge.

Prices for EDGE/APEX have roller coastered depending on when you looked. Prices were initially good then jumped up, plateaued, and have come back down. It's worth a look, though. I re-checked the price for the week that I booked for the least expensive Retreat for 4 vs. MSC Yacht Club for 4 vs NCL Haven for 4 and Celebrity was in the middle. MSC was in the complex while NCL and Celebrity were outside. NCL has the largest room but was also the most expensive. My MSC cruise has gone up over $700 since I booked but I think Celebrity has come down since I first looked. 

For the OP, I would focus on those 3 options (NCL, X, MSC)

Edited by Two Wheels Only

20 hours ago, js said:

Thank you. I am aware they have their dedicated restaurant but is there an actual dedicated area like YC or Haven to hang out in during the day or is it where there are "public" areas are sections roped off for suite guests?

Thank you.

If you book a Sky or Star class Suite on RCL on their newer/larger class ships-—(Oasis and newer)— there is a suite access only area of cabins like the Haven—although not all of the suites are located in this area—just like NCL. There is a large suite lounge (larger than the Haven lounge). It is not accessible to Diamond level and above RCL level cruisers as was stated, however, the lounge and restaurant are accessible to Pinnacle-level cruisers. Beer, wine, water, soft drinks are available in the lounge all of the time and there is a cocktail menu from 5pm-8pm daily. If you are Star class, you have unlimited beverages on the entire ship as well as unlimited dining in every venue, gratuities are also included. There is a private sun deck with a bar, loungers, etc.  There is suite seating in some of the venues (main theater) but not every venue. The concierge or your Genie will make sure you get into any show you want to attend. 

We have cruised in both Haven (NCL) and Sky-level (RCL) suites and have found RCL to actually be a superior product In some ways and similarly priced in our experience. Sky class and above also includes unlimited Wifi. RCL definitely offers a cruise within a cruise experience as well. Both lines have there differences and advantages and it just depends on what you are looking for.

We enjoy both lines for what each has to offer and choose which like to cruise based on the port they are leaving out of as well as the time of year. 

Thank you all.

I am trying to keep the cost no more than $5,000 since I have other trips booked and RCCL and Celebrity are coming

in $6K+ - $7K+ so I am going to stick with NCL or MSC.

I am leaning toward NCL since next month is our third sailing on MSC (we have sailed that ship every February) although

I am also sailing NCL Encore in August so only six months later I'll be back on NCL again.

First world decisions I know but happy I can make them 🙂

I appreciate all your input.