Cheapest way for local to get from Tampa to Port Canaveral?

Warm-Water Diver

Recently relocated from Illinois to the Tampa area. We were really excited to enjoy local cruising out of Port Tampa but seems that our preferred brand (Norwegian) is only offering 7 Day + cruises out of that port and only 1 ship (NCL Dawn).

We're wanting to take a 3 or 4 day short cruise on an NCL ship and the next closest is Port Canaveral. Mapquest says it's a 2.5 hour drive from our home to the port.

We're looking for the cheapest options to get from our home to the port and then back home. Checked rental cars and it will cost close to $300 for 2 one way rentals in a sub compact car so looking for cheaper alternatives?

Edited by Warm-Water Diver

Have you priced a round trip rental with parking off site near PC?

I would also keep checking prices of rental cars - they vary almost as much as flights. Costco offers good discounts and you can sometimes find FLA specific discount codes on some of the WDW boards (All Ears, etc.).

Hey John. Thanks.

I priced budget for a week rental and cheapest price is $263 (pay now) and then I have to worry about finding a place to park near PC. Guessing that will cost me on top of the Budget rental price?

Still looking for a cheaper alternative.. I wonder if there are any shuttle companies that run from Tampa to PC that might be cheaper than renting a car?

If dropping the rental car off at MCO is easier/cheaper there are several shared shuttles that will get you from MCO to PC for about $20 each - check with Cortrans, Cocoa Beach Shuttle and Go Port Canaveral

It appears that Greyhound has fares between Tampa and Rockledge, FL for under $30.00 per person one way and UberX estimate from Rockledge to Port Canaveral is $46.96.

A little over $100 for two people from Tampa to Port Canaveral. Then whatever the cost from you house to the Greyhound station in Tampa times 2 for a round trip fare.

We usually rent cars one way form MCO to PC for under $50/day - not sure I understand why OP is seeing estimates of $300?  Might need to change the pick up location to TPA instead of an in town office.

12 hours ago, Warm-Water Diver said:

Hey John. Thanks.

I priced budget for a week rental and cheapest price is $263 (pay now) and then I have to worry about finding a place to park near PC. Guessing that will cost me on top of the Budget rental price?

Still looking for a cheaper alternative.. I wonder if there are any shuttle companies that run from Tampa to PC that might be cheaper than renting a car?

Using the Budget website, no codes for a discount, two one-way rentals from non-airport sites in Tampa to PC and back total less than $150, no prepayment.  Discount codes are abundant, see http://mousesavers.com .

You did not specify dates...so I used fri/sat, sat/sun dates in mid-March.

I'm so confused (not surprising).  Do you not own a vehicle?  I don't get why you wouldn't just hop in your car and drive.  I don't know any local that wouldn't just make the drive in their vehicle.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 2

On 1/30/2020 at 7:13 AM, Capt_BJ said:

you can park off site for $11 / day https://www.parkcruise.com/

I live in Tampa area. Driving there yourself would be the cheapest way. Keep in mind you will be getting on toll roads in Orlando area so you need a Sunpass. I have used Park N Cruise in the past and they are wonderful

from Tam[pa to Port C you'd encounter tolls on 528, and 417 if you go that way (I do ... avoids the I-4/528 interchange and part of the WDW traffic mess on I-4   I-4 east to 417 then take this around the airport's south side and pick up 528 Beachline to PC)

You can pay cash on 417 and 528 ....

If your going to be doing must Florida driving a transponder IS a good idea ... but you CAN pay cash.

BNBR.

I do own a car but am not crazy leaving our car at an offsite parking lot. 

I did more searching and found out that it's cheaper to book one way rental car through the discount websites; which ends up cheaper than directly with the rental agency. 

I was able to snag an economy car in Tampa (near Brandon) which I can return at 8401 Astronaut Boulevard, Cape Canaveral, FL (Budget Rental Office). They offer a free shuttle from the this location to the cruise ship pier.  Came to $45.08 with taxes so under $100 for 2 one ways on Priceline.

I'm guessing this is the cheapest option out there and I don't have to worry about leaving my car?

7 hours ago, Warm-Water Diver said:

BNBR.

I did more searching and found out that it's cheaper to book one way rental car through the discount websites; which ends up cheaper than directly with the rental agency. 

I was able to snag an economy car in Tampa (near Brandon) which I can return at 8401 Astronaut Boulevard, Cape Canaveral, FL (Budget Rental Office). They offer a free shuttle from the this location to the cruise ship pier.  Came to $45.08 with taxes so under $100 for 2 one ways on Priceline.

I'm guessing this is the cheapest option out there and I don't have to worry about leaving my car?

Just doesn't seem worth it to me.  Renting cars, etc.  I wouldn't be that concerned leaving my vehicle.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Warm-Water Diver said:

Why park offsite?  The port has a nice easy covered parking. It would be less then the 2 rentals to park right there. Very easy, no shuttles, etc., needed. Very quick to get in car and head home after the cruise too. 

• Like 1

We parked at the parking garage at Port Canaveral on our last cruise.  It was so easy.  I was nervous because I have an totally electric car so I was concerned about the battery having enough of a charge to get us to a charger after the cruise, but it was fun.  We had enough of a charge to go to Disney straight from the cruise.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:16 PM, dd likes to cruise said:

Why park offsite?  The port has a nice easy covered parking. It would be less then the 2 rentals to park right there. Very easy, no shuttles, etc., needed. Very quick to get in car and head home after the cruise too. 

Seems to me they are on a budget by the comments. Parking off-site is less money

• 2 weeks later...

You can always take your car or rent it. Then travel to whatever you 're going, leave your car (even its rented) on a designated paid parking lot and just relax. Its so much better than public transport or paying extra for taxi and stuff