Sold Out Ships Data?

whitford

Anyone have access to data on how full each sailing is at time of departure, a Web site would be nice. Nice to know who many others are on board. I would rather a big ship at 50% than a smaller ship at 100%. This type of data could affect future bookings, if a pattern exists. I see a hint of pattern at Fort Lauderdale early January sailing not being as full as later in the month but then I often see things. I would suspect that these data might be tightly guarded by HAL.

One can do some rough figuring by looking doing sample bookings and looking at cabin choices at each category. For example, I know when I booked my February cruise, there were 12 Neptune Suites available. (This of course doesn't count cabins on courtesy holds or those before final payment deadline). If you're so inclined, its can be done but it's a lot of work. Pricing is also another indicator. My other February cruise is on Celebrity and I've seen pricing skyrocket in every category. 

22 minutes ago, molemaui said:

One can do some rough figuring by looking doing sample bookings and looking at cabin choices at each category. For example, I know when I booked my February cruise, there were 12 Neptune Suites available. (This of course doesn't count cabins on courtesy holds or those before final payment deadline). If you're so inclined, its can be done but it's a lot of work. Pricing is also another indicator. My other February cruise is on Celebrity and I've seen pricing skyrocket in every category. 

The guarantees are too much of a wild card. I've seen what looks like at least 10 cabins available and the next day that category is sold out. My cruise sails in a little more than two weeks, and for the last week or more, a dummy booking only offered guarantees. When I clicked to choose my cabin it told me 'try again later.' But it doesn't work later, either. So I can't even do a rough guess at availability.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The guarantees are too much of a wild card. I've seen what looks like at least 10 cabins available and the next day that category is sold out. My cruise sails in a little more than two weeks, and for the last week or more, a dummy booking only offered guarantees. When I clicked to choose my cabin it told me 'try again later.' But it doesn't work later, either. So I can't even do a rough guess at availability.

This method isn't an absolute but it has always given me some basic info whether I'm booking a guarantee or not. In addition, you can look at a particular category or a bunch of them, list what you see available and call your agent and have them verify. Too much work for me but always an option. 

44 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Agree.  I still remember a Prinsendam cruise I was on with over 100 cabins showing “available”.  (Remember that ship only had 400+ cabins).

My TA had told me the ship was selling well and I was totally perplexed.

One week later, the cruise was sold out.  They were basically waiting for one or 2 cabins to bee booked.  All those 100+ cabins were guarantees.  

The guarantees are a big wild card - especially when the HAl site now selects that first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molemaui said:

All this tells you is what cabins are unassigned, as you can't see how many guarantee bookings there are. There could be 11 Neptunes on guarantee bookings, so one more Neptune booking, and the Neptunes will show full.

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

All this tells you is what cabins are unassigned, as you can't see how many guarantee bookings there are. There could be 11 Neptunes on guarantee bookings, so one more Neptune booking, and the Neptunes will show full.

True-never meant this as an absolute-just a guide which may or may not be accurate. Where I see benefits is looking at the largest inventory cabin which is usually veranda. If when you go to choose a cabin and you see lots of vacancies on every deck or very few if any, that is a good indicator. I'm sailing Celebrity Edge as a back to back with my HAL cruise and the information there has been close as I've followed it quite intently. 

Another cruise (Viking Ocean crossing) showed less than half full and went out full as prices were slashed dramatically in the last 6 weeks. You never know.