New carry on alcohol policy?

bodsfanclub

Seeing that Cunard have from Dec 19 decreed one bottle of wine per person in carry on. Can anyone tell me is this being enforced? Hubby and I are doing 22 days in June and had hoped to take on board three bottles of asti and one bottle of gin for in cabin consumption ONLY whilst we dress for dinner. Was going to take the same on board in our hand luggage. Advice much appreciated!! 

Nothing has changed on the Au site. This is of interest to me as we board in about 10 days and were planning on doing something similar bringing on a bottle of spirits and 3/4578032641_2020-02-0609_57_54-Cruisequestions-Frequentlyaskedquestions-CunardLine.thumb.png.931937a621df548072efc7c2374c1e34.png bottles of nice Aussie wine from a wine trip before the cruise. 

I've just printed that out to be on the safe side! 

Edited by lissie

58 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Where have you seen this ?

Nobody has mentioned having any difficulties.

On the Cruise Critic Cunard Alcohol Policy page updates 18 Dec 2019 specifically stating no spirits to be brought on board and one bottle of wine per passenger only. 

20 minutes ago, bodsfanclub said:

On the Cruise Critic Cunard Alcohol Policy page updates 18 Dec 2019 specifically stating no spirits to be brought on board and one bottle of wine per passenger only. 

I wouldn't believe that . I challenged my NZ travel agent because she told us only one bottle of wine each on embarkation. I sent her the above link and she apologized and updated her advice. She said "whats on  Cunard's website is always the policy" . 

This issue does comes up from time to time. As is often the case, different sites and different documents provide different information about Cunard's alcohol policy. The following statement has been part of the Cunard Passage Contract for the United States since at least December 2013 and has been the cause of some confusion just about ever since.

"Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage."

So no, the similar wording in the Cruise Critic article about the Cunard Alcohol Policy does not represent a new policy (based on how the US passage contract is worded). But more importantly, neither does it represent a policy that Cunard actually enforces.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

The following statement has been part of the Cunard Passage Contract for the United States since at least December 2013 and has been the cause of some confusion just about ever since.

"Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage."

There was a slightly different notice two or three years ago.  It indicated something similar to the above quote in regards to one bottle per person, but that notice did not start by saying: "Guests agree not to bring ..."  The notice concluded with something to the effect: It is not Cunard's intention to enforce this limit unless it is deemed necessary.  That is why many people on Cruise Critic have mentioned they have brought on considerably more than the one bottle per person.

Although we rarely bring on board more than two bottles, I have seen others do so - even a case of their favourite tipple. We recently took a 14-day voyage from Québec City to Southampton. Our two bottles taken on at embarkation were gone by Halifax where we decided to get some more bubbly and a bottle of gin.  There was no problem at all.

23 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

There was a slightly different notice two or three years ago.  It indicated something similar to the above quote in regards to one bottle per person, but that notice did not start by saying: "Guests agree not to bring ..."  The notice concluded with something to the effect: It is not Cunard's intention to enforce this limit unless it is deemed necessary.  That is why many people on Cruise Critic have mentioned they have brought on considerably more than the one bottle per person. ...

I do indeed remember that alternate wording of the Cunard alcohol policy. If I recall correctly, that was found in the old Cunard FAQ (ask.cunard.com) rather than in the US passage contract. One version of that different wording from a few years ago read as follows.

"You may bring wine or champagne on board (over the age of 21) to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a a corkage fee.

We reserve the right to remove alcohol at the gangway if brought on board, either at embarkation or when in a port of call and will be returned to you at the end of your voyage. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will only implement on occasions where we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised."

Note this particular wording made no mention of a limit on how much could be brought on board, although I seem to recall another variation of this wording at one point did mention the limit of one bottle per person. Anyway, this is what I was alluding to about how you can find different versions of the Cunard alcohol policy depending on where you look (the FAQ, voyage personaliser, passage contract, and perhaps other places as well).

On 2/6/2020 at 6:23 AM, safarigal said:

I just brought 6 bottles of champagne on board with me in Dubai and there was no problem

No problems for a barrel of Rhum that was wheeled on in Martinique, along with 11 bottles, or 23 bottles of fine Rum/Rhum via a shopping trolley in St.Maarten.

If there was any "confescation, no problem, as the all were for home consumption and gifts.

I have often taken bottles onboard, mainly as gifts for others on the voyage, and never had an issue. 

As the next sailing is for my birthday, I am planning to take at least a case of wine and of champagne to celebrate with friends in our cabins, and not expecting any issues at all. 

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

I was looking at this recently as considering sailing back from NY on the QM 2. 
The UK FAQ has the following. The first answer seems to imply only one bottle per person. The second answer makes no reference to a limit.

D81CE4E7-55A8-4796-820D-C9452D1F0B76.thumb.png.36f0a641734cee996b29b6ffb2b9b859.png

7D808512-84EA-4910-ADAC-3F5991BB3ACE.png

And what option will you be selecting for your TA Voyage?

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

I was looking at this recently as considering sailing back from NY on the QM 2. 
The UK FAQ has the following. The first answer seems to imply only one bottle per person. The second answer makes no reference to a limit.

That's the thing with Cunard. The official terms say one bottle per person (when you can find it defied in the terms) but in practice no limit is enforced, either at embarkation or in ports of call (when an itinerary has them).

Edited by Underwatr

45 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

That's the thing with Cunard. The official terms say one bottle per person (when you can find it defied in the terms) but in practice no limit is enforced, either at embarkation or in ports of call (when an itinerary has them).

Seems to be a common thing across cruise lines 😂

The only consistent thing is inconsistency 🤦‍♀️😂