Who to rent an electric scooter for cruise from?

PG13

HI Everyone. We are traveling with Princess next month out of San Francisco. Anyone know which company Princess likes you to use? Or where do you rent a scooter from (which one)? I'm hoping to arrange for a foldable one.  This is my husbands first time using a scooter, much to his chagrin so thought we might rent it as a trial run, though it is inevitable in the future as we continue to travel. Might be useful to know of more than one company that can be used as the cruise is only 1 month away.  Thank you. Pat

When we cruise Princess we use Scootaround for our scooter needs. DH uses one for ease in ports and around the ship. Be sure your TA has let the accessibility department know you are getting a scooter. You can order at Scootaround and have it delivered to the cabin. At Seattle I have my DH wheelchaired on and off which makes life easier. 

Karen

Princess uses either Scootaround or Special Needs at Sea.   We have used both companies and have never had any issues.  You need to contact Princess' Access Department and advise them you will have a scooter.    Do you have an accessible stateroom?   If not, check with their Access Department and see if the scooter you are looking at to rent will fit through your stateroom door.   

We always rent the "Standard Scooter" from Special Needs at Sea and the "Transportable Electric Scooter" from Scootaround.  These have always been the same exact scooter (Pride Go Go Sport) even though the rental companies call them different names.      

If you happen to rent from Scootaround, curbfreewithcorylee.com has a discount code for 10% off.   The code is CURBFREE19.  

Here is Princess' accessibility link FYI  (scroll down to Accessible Cruising). 

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

PS:   Consider some test driving of scooters before the cruise to get familiar with how they basically operate.   If you have a mobility store in your town they would have some to test drive, although they may be a different brand than what you rent.     Even practicing with a grocery cart scooter would be better than nothing.  

Edited by kokopelli-az

I've rented from both Scootaround and Special Needs at Sea. They are both fine. The price varies based on port, date, and number of days. I don't think either rents folding scooters.

I second @kokopelli-az 's suggestion to try practicing with a grocery store scooter. A big difference is that the scooter you rent will have a speed knob -- grocery store scooters don't. Until your husband is very comfortable, keep it on a slower speed.

Are scootaround and special needs at sea places located on the cruise ship?  What is the price range for a standard size scooter for an acces-sible on cruise accomodation?  Are they easy to use when on a port excursion, or getting on and off a bus, or in a busy spot on deck like by the pool?  How easy are they to recharge? Are scooters allowed in foreign countries public buildings?

Thanks,

Sandra

18 minutes ago, Sandra1616 said:

Are scootaround and special needs at sea places located on the cruise ship?  What is the price range for a standard size scooter for an acces-sible on cruise accomodation?  Are they easy to use when on a port excursion, or getting on and off a bus, or in a busy spot on deck like by the pool?  How easy are they to recharge? Are scooters allowed in foreign countries public buildings?

Thanks,

Sandra

See the Cruise Critic article How to Rent a Scooter or Wheelchair for Your Cruise for information about Special Needs at Sea and Scootaround.

Hi Sandra, 

Scootaround and Special Needs at Sea are NOT on the ship. They are land based companies that you contract with. They will deliver the scooter to the cabin and pick it up from there. I just priced the basic one for my DH and it was $250.00 plus $10.00 cancellation insurance for our upcoming 17 day cruise to Hawaii. This is the transportable scooter. It fits in the bays of the bigger tour buses and the drivers, at least in Alaska, are pros at getting them off and on for you. The ship is fairly easy to navigate unless they leave the cleaning carts in the hallways. To charge we simply plug in when we're in the cabin. Easy. 

Karen

• 3 months later...
On 2/5/2020 at 7:54 PM, PG13 said:

HI Everyone. We are traveling with Princess next month out of San Francisco. Anyone know which company Princess likes you to use? Or where do you rent a scooter from (which one)? I'm hoping to arrange for a foldable one.  This is my husbands first time using a scooter, much to his chagrin so thought we might rent it as a trial run, though it is inevitable in the future as we continue to travel. Might be useful to know of more than one company that can be used as the cruise is only 1 month away.  Thank you. Pat

Special Needs at sea is not the one to use.  We ordered a chair and Princess cancelled the cruise due to the virus.  The charged us $50 cancellation and are still holding our deposit for over 30 days.  Too busy right now, but hit the credit card the day we ordered.