Help deciding what to book

TXBBQDUDE

OK I am seeing some good deals for last minute Spring Break cruises but I am having a hard time deciding on what to book.  We will be driving in from Texas we usually book out of Galveston but wanted to try some different ports.  We have only been on the Dream with Carnival and my wife and I enjoyed it.  We are taking the two boys with us this time they have only been on Royal but we think they will like Carnival better as they hate getting dressed up for anything.  They are 13 and 14 years old so perfect age they can explore the ship on their own and we done have to worry too much.  We can also keep track with phones so we can find each other when needed.  it will be about a 14 hour drive for us but we have done that in the past no issue.  Would stay in a Hotel one night there and one night back.  There is $700 from the first cruise to the last so price is all pretty close to each other.   My wife has been to Nassau but besides that all  the ports are new to everyone.  Any opinions?  

Carnival Sunrise 5 days 2 ports Nassau - Amber Cove Sat-Thur  

Best Overall Price Ship was totally redone in 2019

Carnival Sunshine 5 days 2 ports Princess Cays - Nassau Sat-Thur 

Better Ports I think?

Carnival Magic 6 days 3 ports Amber Cove - Grand Turk-  Half Moon Cay Sun- Sat 

Bigger Ship more to do better Ports

Carnival Breeze 7 days 4 ports Grand Turk - San Juan - St. Thomas and Amber Cove Sat-Sat 

Maybe cutting a little close with the travel time probably best itinerary  

5 minutes ago, TXBBQDUDE said:

OK I am seeing some good deals for last minute Spring Break cruises but I am having a hard time deciding on what to book.  We will be driving in from Texas we usually book out of Galveston but wanted to try some different ports.  We have only been on the Dream with Carnival and my wife and I enjoyed it.  We are taking the two boys with us this time they have only been on Royal but we think they will like Carnival better as they hate getting dressed up for anything.  They are 13 and 14 years old so perfect age they can explore the ship on their own and we done have to worry too much.  We can also keep track with phones so we can find each other when needed.  it will be about a 14 hour drive for us but we have done that in the past no issue.  Would stay in a Hotel one night there and one night back.  There is $700 from the first cruise to the last so price is all pretty close to each other.   My wife has been to Nassau but besides that all  the ports are new to everyone.  Any opinions?  

Better Ports I think?

Carnival Breeze 7 days 4 ports Grand Turk - San Juan - St. Thomas and Amber Cove Sat-Sat 

I would definitely nix the Sunrise & Sunshine cruises. The Bahamas are very....meh. Half Moon Cay is amazing but that's about it. In fact a lot of seasoned cruisers (myself included) avoid the Bahamas at all cost and if they do go there, they stay on the ship. 

So that leaves the Magic and Breeze. Between those 2, I would go on the Breeze because it's a longer cruise, and you're getting 3 good ports in St. Thomas, Grand Turk and San Juan. The Magic would come in second but the Breeze has better ports and it's longer. The only thing that would attract me to the Magic would be Half Moon Cay. 

Definitely Breeze IMO. It would be my first choice of the ships listed. And It’s the longer cruise. But  also all of those ports are ones you won’t get to out of Galveston. 

You can go to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Grand Cayman out of Galveston. In fact I believe there will be more of those cruises next year when Galveston adds a 4th ship.

2nd choice would be Magic. Basically the same ship and 2 of 3 ports you can’t get to from Galveston. Having just done a 6-day on Magic I know the entertainment value is better on a 7-day. 6-day didn’t get all of the production shows and just two comedians vs. four on the 7-day.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TXBBQDUDE said:

Help deciding what to book

Better Ports I think?

Carnival-Breeze-Cruise-Ship-5960a3a53e51

✌️

Edited by ObstructedView2

6 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Having just done a 6-day on Magic I know the entertainment value is better on a 7-day. 6-day didn’t get all of the production shows and just two comedians vs. four on the 7-day.

Three weeks out from your West Coaster ... any pre-cruise live blogging planned?

• Like 1

Breeze would be my 1st choice, followed by Magic.  Next in line is tough, as I'm not a huge fan of Nassau.  Princess Cay is fine and Amber Cove is ok, but no beach.  It does have a pool.  I would probably want to try Sunrise just because I've never been on that ship & it was recently refurbished.  On second thought, if I'm driving 14 hours, I would not bother with a 5 night cruise.  

Breeze for sure. San Juan is without a doubt the best port on the list. Old San Juan, with its colonial architecture and history, tons of restaurants and shops, rainforests, beaches, the Bacardi rum distillery, kayaking in the bioluminescent bay, etc.

Second runner up would be the Magic on its 6 night itinerary.

Sunrise and Sunshine are both meh. Wouldn’t consider either one. 

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else and say the Breeze.  I love that ship and the ports are all great ports.  St. Thomas has some jaw dropping beaches and San Juan is a great port to take the boys to the old forts.  The food is amazing also.

3 hours ago, pamici said:

Three weeks out from your West Coaster ... any pre-cruise live blogging planned?

Yeah I’ll start my thread probably a week from Saturday. I’ll go live after work that Thursday. Flying out early Friday morning. I have a planned long layover in Las Vegas so I can hit the strip for a couple hours. Long Beach that afternoon. Staying at the Queen Mary. Then post cruise I’m doing two days in Hollywood. You don’t want to miss it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Yeah I’ll start my thread probably a week from Saturday. I’ll go live after work that Thursday. Flying out early Friday morning. I have a planned long layover in Las Vegas so I can hit the strip for a couple hours. Long Beach that afternoon. Staying at the Queen Mary. Then post cruise I’m doing two days in Hollywood. You don’t want to miss it.

Woohooo! I cannot wait. I'll be on Enchantment OTS for most of it, so we'll see if VOOM can handle the Saint 😂

• Like 1