Voyager Cruises in Asia; Feb & March 2020

flossie009

No apology necessary!  And thank you for the good wishes.  As you can appreciate this a stressful situation for us.  However this is a  truly heartbreaking situation for our northern neighbours. 

As I am in Australia I am in much the same time zone as the SE Asian ports so greatly affected by this evolving situation.  So I am able to monitor local news sources in real time (at least those in English). 

I will only post factual information with an attributable source if it seems relevant to the thread title and no one else has already posted it.  I will not post my own opinion or my own speculations - although both exist.

Thank you Flossie for starting this relevant and very specific thread.

My husband and I are booked on the March 27th cruise from Bangkok to Abu Dhabi.  Since recent articles have stated that the coronavirus can be communicable for more than 14 days prior to symptoms, and since the virus has been shown to live on surfaces (ie. in your stateroom) for up to 7 days, and since many cases have appeared in Singapore (one of the stops), and since seniors are more susceptible to pulmonary complications, we feel that Regent should follow other cruise lines and cancel these cruises and issue a full refund or credit for a future cruise.  If Regent really cared for the health and welfare of their clients, they would put us seniors' wellbeing ahead of the almighty dollar.  Furthermore, the thought of numerous changes in itinerary, or a 2 to 3 week quarantine on a ship is not what I consider a pleasant voyage.  Please, fellow cruisers, for your health's sake, put pressure on Regent to cancel this cruise.  Thanks for reading.  

4 hours ago, Mountain Ladyl said:

My husband and I are booked on the March 27th cruise from Bangkok to Abu Dhabi.  Since recent articles have stated that the coronavirus can be communicable for more than 14 days prior to symptoms, and since the virus has been shown to live on surfaces (ie. in your stateroom) for up to 7 days, and since many cases have appeared in Singapore (one of the stops), and since seniors are more susceptible to pulmonary complications, we feel that Regent should follow other cruise lines and cancel these cruises and issue a full refund or credit for a future cruise.  If Regent really cared for the health and welfare of their clients, they would put us seniors' wellbeing ahead of the almighty dollar.  Furthermore, the thought of numerous changes in itinerary, or a 2 to 3 week quarantine on a ship is not what I consider a pleasant voyage.  Please, fellow cruisers, for your health's sake, put pressure on Regent to cancel this cruise.  Thanks for reading.  

My feeling is that the TA’s are the ones who have the power to exert meaningful pressure. A TA statement “unless Regent does the right thing - I.e. full refund and/or full FCC for anyone who does not want to travel to Asia, we will not encourage future bookings with them for our clients” ought to get their attention. The travel agents are the food chain for cruise lines. Tell your agent to get you a refund or you’ll have to find another agent. It trickles up.

5 hours ago, Mountain Ladyl said:

Since recent articles have stated that the coronavirus can be communicable for more than 14 days prior to symptoms, and since the virus has been shown to live on surfaces (ie. in your stateroom) for up to 7 days

It's my impression from reading the CDC website info on the virus that it probably does not survive on surfaces but (quoting the CDC), is spread from person-to-person "via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes."

I've been to Singapore and that is one tightly-controlled country!  They have rules for everything.  They would never allow a visitor to pick up a disease in their country.🙂

Talk to you Travel Agent.  I'm sure something could be worked out if you're truly afraid to take this cruise.

I am on the March 27th cruise and have no qualms about going.  I originally had booked flights on Cathay Pacific but since all their flights involve changing planes in Hong Kong, I cancelled my flights yesterday and am now booked on Qatar Airways and will have a layover in Doha.

6 hours ago, Mountain Ladyl said:

My husband and I are booked on the March 27th cruise from Bangkok to Abu Dhabi.

we feel that Regent should follow other cruise lines and cancel these cruises

Please, fellow cruisers, for your health's sake, put pressure on Regent to cancel this cruise.

I respect your views but cannot agree with your conclusion that Regent should cancel.

We still wish to join Voyager in Bangkok on 27 March and are looking forward to the cruise. At this stage we do not perceive an extreme risk to us from the covid-19 virus but do have some concern that the ship's itineraries over the coming months may be disrupted by possible further port closures in Asia.

If you are concerned about going then you should obviously consider cancelling, but that has to be your own individual decision. You are at high risk of having to take the full financial hit but, as @journeyfan said,  you can try to put pressure on your TA & Regent regarding your individual case. You could also speak to your Travel Insurer to see if all or part of your cancellation costs might be covered.

If you reconsider and decide to go on the cruise, please join the CC Roll Call 

Edited by flossie009

One of the passengers off the Westerdam arrived in Malaysia on a chartered flight from Sianoukville displayed symptoms and was tested; positive for COVID-19. Future charters have been cancelled with some of the Westerdam passengers still stuck in Cambodia.  

This is going to really put a damper on any more Asia port visits. Voyager nearing Singapore; I wonder where she will go next.

Princess has cancelled all of their Asian cruises through April:

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/itinerary-modifications-cancellations.html?cid=dm_affiliate_affiliate_brand_na

Seven Seas Voyager just left Singapore for Ko Samui and Bangkok; are they really going to try going to Vietnam and Japan?

8 minutes ago, Mountain Ladyl said:

I REALLY wish Regent would keep us posted as to port closures, etc.

Regent hasn't provided a coronavirus update on their website since last Tuesday.  As they (along with Crystal) appear to be one of the last cruise companies to continue to have cruises in Asia this spring, it is somewhat surprising that there has not been an update.

Marc

Yes, it is surprising that no update has been posted.  We were REALLY looking forward to this cruise to celebrate our 55th wedding anniversary.  We saved up for two years for it (we aren't rich, just middle class) and I even started buying clothes for it almost a year ago.  I wish Regent would be more attuned to their future cruisers.

On 2/15/2020 at 12:27 PM, mrlevin said:
One of the passengers off the Westerdam arrived in Malaysia on a chartered flight from Sianoukville displayed symptoms and was tested; positive for COVID-19. Future charters have been cancelled with some of the Westerdam passengers still stuck in Cambodia.  

This is going to really put a damper on any more Asia port visits. Voyager nearing Singapore; I wonder where she will go next.

It was an elderly American heading home, with 175 other passengers from the Westerdam on the same flight. I guess all of the ports that turned down the Westerdam knew something that  HAL wasn't acknowledging. We did one HAL cruise a few years ago, and would never do another since our captain made a number of decisions on our 2 week cruise that we found questionable.

But, what the Westerdam did is very bad for the rest of us who have cruises over the next few months, whether they're in Asia, heading toward  Asia, or heading elsewhere after going through Asia. The Westerdam left from Hong Kong and stopped at a port in China a few days later. Obviously, at least one passenger onboard picked up corona virus before boarding, or at their only stop. They should have been quarantined in Sianoukville before disembarking since so many ports denied them entry, but they all went quickly on their way,  taking their virus with them.

We are booked on the Voyager March 27 Bangkok to Abu Dhabi. We booked this over 2 years ago.  Also booked our own airfare on Emirates.  I am very concerned about taking this trip because of the Coronavirus.  We don’t know exactly what to do.  My husband called Regent last week and they were very non-transparent.

Edited by marjorie19214
Wrong wording

Ship has to get from Asia to Med so your cruise has to happen (who knows about passengers).  Why did you say "in lieu of the Coronavirus," strange wording.  

We took Voyager from Rome to Beijing a few years back (reverse of your itinerary), it was fantastic; I am sure you are going to have a great time, too.

Marc

Thought that it would be interesting to visit this thread.  I do have a couple of facts that could be helpful.

Cruise Critic is keeping their members up to date on what each cruise line is doing and which ports are closed.  

Some ports in certain countries (Vietnam for instance) have some ports open and some closed.  This can change on a moment’s notice if a ship has passengers arriving that are sick.

Strongly disagree with comment that you can not get this virus in Singapore.  They currently have more cases than almost every place in the world (factual).  We have been to Singapore more times than I can count and agree that they have very strict laws.  Sadly, this virus doesn’t care about these laws.  If people do not yet show signs of the virus, they can enter Singapore after which time the virus will present itself.  By then, more people may have been infected.

Opinion:  Regent should move Voyager out of the areas in Asia most affected by the virus.  They are many places in the world to visit without risking the health and lives of their crew and passengers.  Booked passengers could receive a FCC if they decide to cancel.  Alternatively, some passengers may want to cruise in the new location (although time is running out). 

Agree strongly with “Mountain Ladyl” - get the heck out of Asia!!!!  

P.S.  majorie91214 - I really feel for what you are going through.  I too wish that Regent could be transparent but understand that if they stay in Asia, anything they say on the website (or anywhere else) could change (and probably will).  Unless they cancel some Asian cruises, they will continue to be unable to provide information for their passengers without risking more changes (flights, excursions, etc.)  This is a no-win situation for all of the cruise lines that have ships in Asia.

Edited by Travelcat2

We’re due to sail on Voyager on 13 March and are not happy at the prospect.

The FCO update for Vietnam states that “the Vietnamese government recommends that citizens wear masks in public” and Japan has i) cancelled the public celebrations of the Emperor’s birthday and ii) barred all but elite and wheelchair competitors taking part in the Tokyo Marathon.  So, Regent how safe do you reckon it is to send your customers into these countries?

Regent will not make any changes in Voyager schedule until after christening of Splendor; they don't want the travel press to have anything else on their minds except the Splendor at the christening.  Of course, if Japan makes an announcement about cancelling all cruise visits that will force Regent to respond.

Marc

10 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Strongly disagree with comment that you can not get this virus in Singapore.  They currently have more cases than almost every place in the world (factual).  We have been to Singapore more times than I can count and agree that they have very strict laws.  Sadly, this virus doesn’t care about these laws.  If people do not yet show signs of the virus, they can enter Singapore after which time the virus will present itself.  By then, more people may have been infected.

If you are referring to my post (#30), of course it is possible (though highly unlikely) to get this virus in Singapore while on a one-day Regent tour.  Most of the 77 Coronavirus cases in Singapore were reported very early in this epidemic.  About 10 of those cases occurred at a meeting in the Hyatt hotel that was attended by a Chinese nationalist who had the virus.  Many of the other cases are linked to members of the Grace Assembly of God.  Here’s the  pastor of this church (in blue shirt) who currently is being treated for the virus.https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/covid-19.jpg
It’s no wonder so many parishioners got the virus as crammed together as they are.

If “Mountain Lady” and some others are concerned about visiting Singapore, they can stay on the ship.  It’s only a one-day stop.

Edited by journeyfan

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Too late to modify previous post. Regent posted new update timestamp (yesterday) but same content as 11 February update.

Marc, IIRC the new update is not quite the same as the 11 February update. The blanket prohibition on holders of passports from China, Hong Kong or Macau, regardless of residency, have been removed.

Dave

Dave, point taken.  But the line about working to remove Hong Kong is still in even though 1 and 13 March itineraries have been "fixed" for days.  Lots of availability on both cruises; I wonder what sort of discount I can find on 13 March cruise?

Marc

On 2/18/2020 at 9:05 AM, Peripatetics said:

So, Regent how safe do you reckon it is to send your customers into these countries?

I totally understand your concern, but I don't think it is right or fair to say that Regent is sending its customers into unsafe countries.

If you are concerned about a particular cruise on which you are booked it is your option to cancel at any time.

On 2/18/2020 at 4:54 AM, Travelcat2 said:

Opinion:  Regent should move Voyager out of the areas in Asia most affected by the virus.  They are many places in the world to visit without risking the health and lives of their crew and passengers.  Booked passengers could receive a FCC if they decide to cancel.  Alternatively, some passengers may want to cruise in the new location (although time is running out). 

Agree strongly with “Mountain Ladyl” - get the heck out of Asia!!!!  

When do you suggest they start re-routing the ship? During the present cruise, causing severe disruption to the passengers on board, or after it docks in Manila on March 01?

What about those passengers who are booked on B2Bs or are due to join the ship in Manila or Tokyo? Do they have to curtail their holiday? 

To where should Voyager be re-routed? On another thread you made some suggestions:

On 2/17/2020 at 8:16 PM, Travelcat2 said:

In terms of the Asian cruises, I would rather see Regent cancel or put the Voyager in a total different area (like South America and allow booked passengers the option to take a FCC on their currently booked Asian cruises or take the new cruise.  IMHO, voyages in or near many ports, are taking an unnecessary risk of being denied entry to some ports as well as risking the virus from passengers living in Asia (not from China, Macau or Hong Kong) and boarding the ship for vacation.

It would probably take at least 3 weeks for Voyager to make the journey from its present location to South America.

The logistics of reorganising passenger routings & supplies would be a herculean task and the financial impact on Regent of the refunds they would be obliged to make would be severe.

At the end of March Voyager is scheduled to sail from Bangkok on a cruise taking it up the coast of India, across to the Middle East and then onwards to the Mediterranean. Are you seriously suggesting that Voyager be relocated to another part of the world resulting in the cancellation of its summer season in the Med? 

I don't think that is a viable option .............. or necessary given the facts, rather than some of the paranoia, about the covid-19 virus epidemic.

Edited by flossie009

On 2/18/2020 at 2:05 AM, mrlevin said:

Great news; looks like Vietnam will be welcoming Voyager when she arrives later this week:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/places/vietnam-province-reprimanded-for-turning-away-cruise-ship-over-coronavirus-fears-4056137.html

Marc

On 2/18/2020 at 4:54 AM, Travelcat2 said:

Some ports in certain countries (Vietnam for instance) have some ports open and some closed.

Some disagreement over the "facts"

Edited by flossie009