Voyager Cruises in Asia; Feb & March 2020

flossie009

Following is a excerpt from the US Regent Ticket Contract and clearly states refund and not FCC. 

"a. If We cancel the Cruise or CruiseTour before it has started, We will refund the full Cruise Fare or CruiseTour Fare that We have actually received (less any air or accommodation charges incurred)."

For other countries suggest people whose cruise has been cancelled look up the ticket contract which should provide the conditions of cancellation for your market.

Since Regent operates in various markets, have to believe that all of the different ticket contracts comply with the consumer laws of the different markets so no need to view the consumer laws, simply look at the ticket contracts provided by Regent for your market.

Would assume all markets are identical regarding cruises that are cancelled before they start but, the ticket contract would be the place to confirm.

Edited by rallydave
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kiwifromkiev said:

TC2, this is only fair if a person can take another time off during 2020. IMHO it would be more fair if FCC was for 2020 AND 2021. Potentially, 2021 could be without further 25% FCC. We were holding our breath (sill are) for 16 April Abu Dhabi departure. If this is cancelled, there is no way on Earth we can take another holiday this year, the earliest would be the end of 2021. And although many of the cruisers are retired or semi retired, there are also those who still work  and have other commitments for the rest of 2020.

Generally, when Regent says that something has to be "used this year" they mean that you must book a cruise this year - not book it and take it.  My guess would be that the rebooking must take place in 2020 and likely used by the end of 2021.  Perhaps someone could clarify for you.

I would ask Regent myself but it is not really any of my business as we are not affected.  The last thing that Regent needs is to have both affected passengers and those that are not affected calling them.  They are already up to their ears in phone calls.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Not necessarily.  Laws in the U.K. are very different.  For instance, as I understand it, if you make a deposit for a cruise and then cancel, you lose your deposit.  And, there is not an automatic "Business Class" booking on international flights out of the U.K.  Some passengers need to use economy air.  For  many countries,, there is no included air at all.  On the other hand, there are some "consumer laws" that are apparently better than ours.  In my opinion, a 100% future cruise credit is more than fair - especially with the additional 25% FCC.  

Most of us do not understand their laws - nor do they understand ours (likely because we do not need to).  

Thanks for the clarification.

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Generally, when Regent says that something has to be "used this year" they mean that you must book a cruise this year - not book it and take it.  My guess would be that the rebooking must take place in 2020 and likely used by the end of 2021.  Perhaps someone could clarify for you.

I would ask Regent myself but it is not really any of my business as we are not affected.  The last thing that Regent needs is to have both affected passengers and those that are not affected calling them.  They are already up to their ears in phone calls.

Here is the wording on the e-mail I received from Regent regarding the Future Cruise Credit of 25% which clearly states the voyage must be taken this year.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises will provide a full refund of your paid fare per person as well as a Future Cruise Credit of 25% of your paid cruise-only fare per person. This credit can be used toward any Regent Seven Seas Cruises voyage that sails in 2020.

You are right that this is not really any of your business. 

Edited by journeyfan
  • Like 2

I certainly agree that the offer of a 25% FCC that must be taken on a cruise "that sails in 2020" is an offer of remarkably low value, considering that most of us plan our cruises anywhere from 12-24 months in advance.   Further, with all of the cancellations of Asian cruises occurring, the remaining attractive cruises will be much more difficult to book on short notice.  Perhaps, upon reflection Regent will recognize that its offer of the FCC is not a worthy offer and will amend it to allow for something like booking in 2020 and sailing in 2020 or 2021.

We remain concerned regarding our cruise to Japan this coming fall and will have to determine our own risk tolerance as payments become due in spring and summer.

Of course, this whole situation is extremely dynamic, forcing the cruise lines to react on the fly, with a view both to protecting their booked passengers and their bottom lines.

Finally, in this whole discussion, it would be useful if certain posters who have repeatedly declared that they are bowing out of these discussions would have the grace to do so.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

My letter did not say so I emailed my guy at Regent and he confirmed book within 1 year and sail within 2.

Are you referring to the 100% refund of the cancelled cruise or the 25% Future Cruise Credit?  My letter specifically stated that the credit had to be used on a "voyage that sails in 2020."

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

My letter did not say so I emailed my guy at Regent and he confirmed book within 1 year and sail within 2.

Do you mind me asking what country you live in?  There seems to be a lot of angry people (understandably so).  What you had clarified by your TA sounds like what is typically done when something is Regent’s fault.  Since this isn’t, we seem to be in unchartered waters (so to speak).  

All of the cruise lines are losing money due this global epidemic and are trying to please their passengers as well.  At some point, they may (not saying that I know this for sure) decide how much they can afford to lose and therefore are making some new rules about when you can use your FCC.  

Journeyfan, while I did say that it was none of our business, I should have added that by posting information about what you (or anyone else) is receiving from Regent kind of makes it our business.  

My recommendation has always been to contact your TA.  As evidenced by this thread, some TA’s learned of the cancellations from their passengers.  This says a lot about the TA they are using but does not lessen the impact of the cancellations.  

1 hour ago, freddie said:

I certainly agree that the offer of a 25% FCC that must be taken on a cruise "that sails in 2020" is an offer of remarkably low value, considering that most of us plan our cruises anywhere from 12-24 months in advance.   Further, with all of the cancellations of Asian cruises occurring, the remaining attractive cruises will be much more difficult to book on short notice.  Perhaps, upon reflection Regent will recognize that its offer of the FCC is not a worthy offer and will amend it to allow for something like booking in 2020 and sailing in 2020 or 2021.

We remain concerned regarding our cruise to Japan this coming fall and will have to determine our own risk tolerance as payments become due in spring and summer.

Of course, this whole situation is extremely dynamic, forcing the cruise lines to react on the fly, with a view both to protecting their booked passengers and their bottom lines.

Finally, in this whole discussion, it would be useful if certain posters who have repeatedly declared that they are bowing out of these discussions would have the grace to do so.

1 minute ago, Travelcat2 said:

Do you mind me asking what country you live in?  There seems to be a lot of angry people (understandably so).  What you had clarified by your TA sounds like what is typically done when something is Regent’s fault.  Since this isn’t, we seem to be in unchartered waters (so to speak).  

All of the cruise lines are losing money due this global epidemic and are trying to please their passengers as well.  At some point, they may (not saying that I know this for sure) decide how much they can afford to lose and therefore are making some new rules about when you can use your FCC.  

Journeyfan, while I did say that it was none of our business, I should have added that by posting information about what you (or anyone else) is receiving from Regent kind of makes it our business.  

My recommendation has always been to contact your TA.  As evidenced by this thread, some TA’s learned of the cancellations from their passengers.  This says a lot about the TA they are using but does not lessen the impact of the cancellations.  

I am in the USA and have been a client for about 5 years and 400 nights and, more recently, a TA. My internal person at Regent clarified the time frame of the FCC for all those passengers in the same position we were in...that being flown to Bali via HK by Regent and then denied boarding. I think there were about 3 dozen people in this position.

Just now, Fran&Steve said:

I believe the grace in this situation (grace: undeserved favor) was shown handily by Regent.  We are all responsible (not victims) and things of biblical proportions  happen that we can not control.  We jdeparted Voyager in Bangkok at 2pm local time and are enroute to US via Tokyo (all managed by Regent’s air department in coordination with our TA overnight). As I sit in Business Class enjoying a fine meal I am grateful for a cruise line that keeps its promises to take care of its travelers. And we are not yet one of their golden elite customers!  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fran&Steve said:

I believe the grace in this situation (grace: undeserved favor) was shown handily by Regent.  We are all responsible (not victims) and things of biblical proportions  happen that we can not control.  We jdeparted Voyager in Bangkok at 2pm local time and are enroute to US via Tokyo (all managed by Regent’s air department in coordination with our TA overnight). As I sit in Business Class enjoying a fine meal I am grateful for a cruise line that keeps its promises to take care of its travelers. And we are not yet one of their golden elite customers!  

What a delightful post.  It was a pleasure to read!

9 hours ago, Kitekat said:

Not long after I left my message here, our TA phoned to confirm that the cruise was cancelled and that we would receive 100% FCC and 25% FCC as compensation. Both had to be used this year. 

TA said they would now start to process the cancellation but had large numbers of other cruisers with cancelled cruises so were somewhat overwhelmed at the moment. We are just trying to find a replacement cruise which is at a time that suits us - other breaks in the pipeline - and has ports that interest us. (A round Britain cruise doesn't quite cut it for us!)

Would be willing to give 100 to one odds that this is bad information and it will be a 100% refund. If I 'm right, most of the discussion between the quoted post and now was totally useless. We'll see.

I checked the Ticket Contract on the UK Regent website and section 4a provides: “If We cancel the Cruise or CruiseTour before it has started, We will refund the full Cruise Fare or CruiseTour Fare that We have actually received (less any air or accommodation charges incurred).” “Cruise Fare” is defined in section 2f as:  “The term ‘Cruise Fare’ means the total amount paid, excluding optional facilities and service fees, in exchange for the cruise.”

The only reasonable interpretation of these two sections is that Regent may not compensate passengers on its canceled cruises by means of a FCC. Regent may only do a monetary refund.

Dave

I read Regent's Ts & C's late last night and it does state full refund. Will be talking to our agent. I suspect that they are swamped as I have spoken to a number of people who have been looking into other cruises who have told me that they are very busy at the moment with all of the cancellations taking place - these were sales people so no use discussing refunds with them as they have no knowledge or the responsibility.

And thanks to all for the advice. This forum provides great suggestions and support.

Now to try to find something - probably not a cruise - somewhere warm (even with some rain) - for a break. After three storms this winter we are looking for some sunshine and warmth.

Edited by Kitekat
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Voyager will start its next cruise in Abu Dhabi on 16 April.

8 hours ago, Kiwifromkiev said:

Flossie009, are you going on this leg (i know you were supposed to start earlier) or planning to cancel all together?

Yes, we were booked for the full 40 nights from Bangkok to Rome and were very disappointed on Thursday morning to receive notification of the cancellation of the first segment (due to depart Bangkok on 27 March).

We have been given the option of either amending our travel arrangements to join the shorter 20 night cruise from Abu Dhabi to Rome, or cancelling our booking completely.

Depending on which option we choose Regent have offered a full or partial refund plus a time-limited FCC. We have been given a figure for the full refund (if we cancel the whole cruise) but Regent have not yet been able to calculate the partial refund (if we take the 20 night segment). For some reason it is going to take them until next week to work out a figure for the partial refund 🙄

We are weighing up our options and will make a decision when we receive firm & detailed figures.

• Like 1

The last page of posts includes a lot of informed, and some uninformed information & opinions, about refunds and compensation. 

Let me add my two pennies'-worth (or two cents'-worth):

1. Refunds

• It is clear that for those cruises cancelled by RSSC the guest should be, & hopefully will be, offered and given a full refund of the "paid cruise-only fare"
  • There will no doubt be some debate and difficulty for those guests who made their own decision to cancel in the days or weeks prior to the cruise-line cancelling. (At the time there was confusion as to what Regent was offering those who chose to cancel - as reported on the roll calls and in post #51 on this thread)

2. Compensation in the form of FCC

• Various levels of FCC have been offered by RSSC, depending on which of the cancelled cruise guests were booked.
  • FCC's given for the Feb 12 sailing do not appear to be time limited, as reported by @Pcardad
  • The 25%FCC we have been offered for the cancelled March 27 sailing definitely is time limited and must be used on a cruise sailing within the next 10 months. The email from the RSSC Miami office, forwarded to us by our TA,  clearly states "The Future Cruise Credit can be used toward any Regent Seven Seas Cruises voyage that sails in 2020". This has since been confirmed by our TA after raising a query with Regent.
  • I am not sure of the situation with the cancelled March 01 or March 13 sailings but suspect there have been offers of open FCCs and time-limited FCCs depending on when the offer was first made. 

Regent deciding to time limit the FCC to cruises sailing this year will make it difficult for many guests to utilise the compensation being offered.

I see that Crystal, who are offering similar packages of refunds & compensation, are now allowing their FCCs  to be used up to the end of 2021.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/coronavirus-update

Hopefully Regent will reconsider.

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

The last page of posts includes a lot of informed, and some uninformed information & opinions, about refunds and compensation. 

Let me add my two pennies'-worth (or two cents'-worth):

1. Refunds

• It is clear that for those cruises cancelled by RSSC the guest should be, & hopefully will be, offered and given a full refund of the "paid cruise-only fare"
  • There will no doubt be some debate and difficulty for those guests who made their own decision to cancel in the days or weeks prior to the cruise-line cancelling. (At the time there was confusion as to what Regent was offering those who chose to cancel - as reported on the roll calls and in post #51 on this thread)

2. Compensation in the form of FCC

• Various levels of FCC have been offered by RSSC, depending on which of the cancelled cruise guests were booked.
  • FCC's given for the Feb 12 sailing do not appear to be time limited, as reported by @Pcardad
  • The 25%FCC we have been offered for the cancelled March 27 sailing definitely is time limited and must be used on a cruise sailing within the next 10 months. The email from the RSSC Miami office, forwarded to us by our TA,  clearly states "The Future Cruise Credit can be used toward any Regent Seven Seas Cruises voyage that sails in 2020". This has since been confirmed by our TA after raising a query with Regent.
  • I am not sure of the situation with the cancelled March 01 or March 13 sailings but suspect there have been offers of open FCCs and time-limited FCCs depending on when the offer was first made. 

My FCC for the denied board of Feb 12 is time limited...book in 1 year, sail in 2.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

My FCC for the denied board of Feb 12 is time limited...book in 1 year, sail in 2.

The FCC compensation for the cancelled Mar 27 voyage requires booking and sailing by the end of 2020 i.e. within the next 10 months.

4 hours ago, flossie009 said:

The FCC compensation for the cancelled Mar 27 voyage requires booking and sailing by the end of 2020 i.e. within the next 10 months.

I suspect that either a call to your TA or a lovely letter from you to the CEO, acknowledging the difficulties presented to the cruise line but also expressing your rightful expectation of realistic compensation,  will be able to fix that. I don’t think any reasonable person would see the “sail by the end of 2020” as a generous offer, or even an adequate one, especially with the uncertainty of cruise travel around the globe in the next six months. I would HOPE that negotiation is appropriate and actually expected.  But you may have to push for it. Their lawyers are writing the terms right now.

1 hour ago, friedmom said:

I suspect that either a call to your TA or a lovely letter from you to the CEO, acknowledging the difficulties presented to the cruise line but also expressing your rightful expectation of realistic compensation,  will be able to fix that. I don’t think any reasonable person would see the “sail by the end of 2020” as a generous offer, or even an adequate one, especially with the uncertainty of cruise travel around the globe in the next six months. I would HOPE that negotiation is appropriate and actually expected.  But you may have to push for it. Their lawyers are writing the terms right now.

What you are missing is that appears all people having their cruises cancelled are being compensated with a full refund plus various strategies of FCC.  At least the US T's and C's and probably all of the others do say a full refund will be provided for cruises cancelled by Regent which it appears are being provided.

The FCC is in addition to the full refunds seems to me to be a realistic compensation even if it has to be used for cruises sailing in 2020.  Sincerely doubt there will be any negotiations accepted or expected and yes, the lawyers have written the T's and C's and are writing the letters with the compensation as directed by the senior management and as they say they are what they are and over and above what is required by the Contract between the cruise line and the customers.

The offers IMHO are extremely realistic and above and beyond what is in the cruise contract.  And, once Regent changes the terms of the FCC, they will have opened the doors to other to demand changes to their offers as well.  Sincerely believe the offers are per the Contract or better and will not change.

Edited by rallydave

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

What you are missing is that appears all people having their cruises cancelled are being compensated with a full refund plus various strategies of FCC.  At least the US T's and C's and probably all of the others do say a full refund will be provided for cruises cancelled by Regent which it appears are being provided.

The FCC is in addition to the full refunds seems to me to be a realistic compensation even if it has to be used for cruises sailing in 2020.  Sincerely doubt there will be any negotiations accepted or expected and yes, the lawyers have written the T's and C's and are writing the letters with the compensation as directed by the senior management and as they say they are what they are and over and above what is required by the Contract between the cruise line and the customers.

The offers IMHO are extremely realistic and above and beyond what is in the cruise contract.  And, once Regent changes the terms of the FCC, they will have opened the doors to other to demand changes to their offers as well.  Sincerely believe the offers are per the Contract or better and will not change.

Agreed. And 99% of TA out there have absolutely no influence with Regent. A passenger with high night count has far more pull than a single TA.