Paying with a Giftcard

Hawg11

So I am able to buy a gift card(e-gift card) with $500 for $460 plus cash back. So I called RC to ask if I would be able to use the gift card online because I didn't see the option to pay with gift card. They literally had no idea what I was even talking about. I asked 2 separate people and the only thing they could tell me was I could use a visa gift card.

Does anyone have experience paying with a gift card through the website? Or using one in general to pay for the balance of their cruise.

I am aware that in the event of a refund the gift card would credited back.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Hawg11 said:

So I am able to buy a gift card(e-gift card) with $500 for $460 plus cash back. So I called RC to ask if I would be able to use the gift card online because I didn't see the option to pay with gift card. They literally had no idea what I was even talking about. I asked 2 separate people and the only thing they could tell me was I could use a visa gift card.

Does anyone have experience paying with a gift card through the website? Or using one in general to pay for the balance of their cruise.

I am aware that in the event of a refund the gift card would credited back.

The general consensus on these boards regarding gift cards and Royal is don't do it. They are a absolute PIA. happy cruising

They are a PIA but you need to follow the instructions on the gift card (it should have an email).  Send them in AT LEAST 4 weeks early.  I usually get mine for 10% off, and I can go through a lot of hassle for 10% of a cruise cost. 

• Like 1

Its asking for a serial number and authorization code. All I have is a card number, so I emailed them the card number. We will see, I purchased a small dollar amount to try out. If it works I'll go with a larger amount.

I can't believe a huge company like Royal Caribbean makes it so difficult to use a gift card. It is beyond me.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 7:15 PM, Hawg11 said:

Its asking for a serial number and authorization code. All I have is a card number, so I emailed them the card number. We will see, I purchased a small dollar amount to try out. If it works I'll go with a larger amount.

I can't believe a huge company like Royal Caribbean makes it so difficult to use a gift card. It is beyond me.

I paid for our cruise using gift cards. Here is the email you need to use. 

sharedservicesgiftcertificateredemption@rccl.com

You will need to send a scanned image of the gift card, both front and back. Or if they are electronic gift cards, you need to use the snipping tool or print screen option to take a photo of it to send them.  It takes several days even weeks to post, so don't wait until it's close to your "paid in full" deadline. Did that last time and had to get the manager on the phone because the customer service rep couldn't mark my account as paid. 

On 2/15/2020 at 4:15 PM, Hawg11 said:

Considering how rampant fraud is in the gift card industry, I can't believe a corporation as large as Royal would even mess with them.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 3:08 PM, celoplyr said:

They are a PIA but you need to follow the instructions on the gift card (it should have an email).  Send them in AT LEAST 4 weeks early.  I usually get mine for 10% off, and I can go through a lot of hassle for 10% of a cruise cost. 

Where do you get them 10% off?

Considering how rampant fraud is in the gift card industry, I can't believe a corporation as large as Royal would even mess with them.

Every large company "messes" with them. Consider every restaurant, store and vacation destination has them. In my opinion it's a huge miss and turn off. 

36 minutes ago, Hawg11 said:

Every large company "messes" with them. Consider every restaurant, store and vacation destination has them. In my opinion it's a huge miss and turn off.

At a store or a restaurant you are physically presenting a card that can be swiped at the establishment and authenticated thru embedded coding and either accepted or declined instantly via the establishment's POS system that is connected to the business's main headquarters.

A non Interbank Gift Card transaction online thru a cruiseline website requires a different level of security authentication for both your and the cruise line's protection..

Royal Caribbean is not The Cheesecake Factory.

At a store or a restaurant you are physically presenting a card that can be swiped at the establishment and authenticated thru embedded coding and either accepted or declined instantly via the establishment's POS system that is connected to the business's main headquarters.

A non Interbank Gift Card transaction online thru a cruiseline website requires a different level of security authentication for both your and the cruise line's protection..

Royal Caribbean is not The Cheesecake Factory.

Have you not heard of using a gift card online? What about booking a Disney vacation? I have booked a Disney Vacation entirely online and paid using a gift card for the entire balance?

Royal Caribbean is not Disney.

If Cheesecake Factory can figure it out so should Royal Caribbean.