Strange question about TVs on Anthem.

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

I think we can easily assume the OP is asking about movies (their from the UK and refer to them as videos) they have on their phone...what else can it possibly be ?

Brits do not call movies videos. We call them films or movies. A video is a moving picture, or on occasion a recording.

55 minutes ago, Smiles1984 said:

Brits do not call movies videos. We call them films or movies. A video is a moving picture, or on occasion a recording.

Thanks for your correction....I was just assuming and should have used the word "may"...I guess I shouldn't have :classic_wink:

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

How do you do this on the newer/amplified ships your "more tech" comment.

On newer ships you have to disconnect the TV from the ship network, remove power and reapply power to free the TV from it's locked state.  If you have your own remote then at this point input button should work but not always.

On some ships once the TV has been cycled as noted above the menu button on the ship remote brings up a factory TV menu and under the "Support" menu you can change inputs using the ship remote. 

These pictures were taken in a balcony cabin on the amplified Oasis but Symphony and Navigator function the same now that Navigator is amplified. 

When the TV first boots it looks to the network to find it's configuration and while it's searching you will see a Royal logo on a blue background. 

oa-tvmenu-1.jpg

At this point the menu button on the ship remote works and brings up a Samsung menu.  

oa-tvmenu-2.jpg

Go down to the Support menu.

oa-tvmenu-3.jpg

Go to Source List.

oa-tvmenu-4.jpg

With a valid source connected to the HDMI input you can select it, otherwise without anything connected they appear disabled like HDMI-2 and HDMI-3 are in this next picture.

oa-tvmenu-5.jpg

Once you select your active HDMI input you are good to go.  

The TVs have a USB port that I use to charge my phone as I watch with a standard while Apple lighting cable while the black cord is an HDMI cable.  My phone is sitting on the shelf above the TV.

oa-tvmenu-6.jpg

To get the TV back to 'normal' ship TV mode unplug the TV power cord, reconnect the network connection and apply power.  The TV will now boot normally.

Put your phone in Do Not Disturb mode to avoid notifications and pop ups if so desired.

Caveat - software version in the TVs could vary, other things can change over time.  I haven't tried this is every cabin (obviously) so it's entirely possible the next cabin over has a different TV that doesn't work like this.

Edited by twangster

49 minutes ago, twangster said:

On newer ships you have to disconnect the TV from the ship network, remove power and reapply power to free the TV from it's locked state.  If you have your own remote then at this point input button should work but not always.

On some ships once the TV has been cycled as noted above the menu button on the ship remote brings up a factory TV menu and under the "Support" menu you can change inputs using the ship remote. 

These pictures were taken in a balcony cabin on the amplified Oasis but Symphony and Navigator function the same now that Navigator is amplified. 

When the TV first boots it looks to the network to find it's configuration and while it's searching you will see a Royal logo on a blue background. 

oa-tvmenu-1.jpg

At this point the menu button on the ship remote works and brings up a Samsung menu.  

oa-tvmenu-2.jpg

Go down to the Support menu.

oa-tvmenu-3.jpg

Go to Source List.

oa-tvmenu-4.jpg

With a valid source connected to the HDMI input you can select it, otherwise without anything connected they appear disabled like HDMI-2 and HDMI-3 are in this next picture.

oa-tvmenu-5.jpg

Once you select your active HDMI input you are good to go.  

The TVs have a USB port that I use to charge my phone as I watch with a standard while Apple lighting cable while the black cord is an HDMI cable.  My phone is sitting on the shelf above the TV.

oa-tvmenu-6.jpg

To get the TV back to 'normal' ship TV mode unplug the TV power cord, reconnect the network connection and apply power.  The TV will now boot normally.

Put your phone in Do Not Disturb mode to avoid notifications and pop ups if so desired.

Caveat - software version in the TVs could vary, other things can change over time.  I haven't tried this is every cabin (obviously) so it's entirely possible the next cabin over has a different TV that doesn't work like this.

Oh my goodness !!! ...Thank you so very much for taking so much time to give me some much appreciated

information on this.

I'll be trying this out on hopefully my cruise on X in late July 2021 and my cruise on Freedom in October 2021.

Again many thanks to you...just amazing at how helpful you've been :classic_biggrin:

21 hours ago, Ashland said:

We have/brought a universal remote (and of course bring a HDMI cable) that will work with Samsung...just couldn't get anything to work. We've always been able to change the HDMI but now with the newer access code with RCI's internet...nothing we tried worked as of our last cruise in 2019. Would love to hear how anyone has figured this out now.

You're really asking about access to streaming services. And that's definitely an issue. The best approach is to bring a travel router that's got the flexibility to deal with the onboard WiFi access requirements. As to exactly which travel router to get... a lot depends on your comfort level working with some of these devices.

My personal use case is to simply connect via my Samsung Galaxy S20 (or previously, S9, S8 and S7), and then sharing the WiFi connection from the phone. The Samsung Galaxy models can share a WiFi internet connection over WiFi to other devices. An iPhone CANNOT do that; they can only share over a USB or Bluetooth connection to another device. So have my phone connected to ships WiFi, then share my connection over WiFi from the Samsung Galaxy. Then things like my Kindle and my laptop are connected to my Samsung Galaxy WiFi network, and have full access to everything over ships WiFi. But there's another caveat -- the ship has its own DNS servers that don't resolve many domains they consider undesirable, and they have onboard packet inspection firewalls that block certain types of content. You'll really only know what will and won't work directly by trying it. Netflix often works, as do things like Vudu and Hulu. I've successfully connected to my home PLEX server and to my home TiVo device. But I've not been able to connect to Xfinity's online streaming. So generally I use a VPN I establish on my laptop to a VPN server I also run at home (SoftEther). I also have an account with Witopia (personalVPN), and if you use the latest client and one of the two stealth modes they offer to personalVPN Pro and Premiere level subscribers everything usually works. I've previously had to contact Witopia online and get a temporary dedicated IP for the VPN, but with the latest client those things shouldn't be needed anymore.

I have also used the MikroTik hAP AC RouterBoard for similar cases on land (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BMMK4HI) and it's one of the more flexible devices that lets you configure a lot, but it's also not terribly non-technical-user-friendly. But most of the basic-level travel routers leave a lot to be desired in the ability to configure them for different use cases. The MicroTik router is a dual-band device that can establish connections to access points running at 2.4 or 5GHz, AND simultaneously provide an access point itself on either band as well. It's extremely powerful and flexible. There are some really cheap travel routers you can certainly try. The differences are generally how easy it is to connect to them in order to authenticate it to the ships WiFi or to your shared WiFi via a device like a Samsung Galaxy phone, whether they support multiple bands simultaneously or only allow connections on one band. I actually purchased another one of the MicroTik routers to take with me in March to experiment with onboard Anthem, but those sailings didn't happen, hence that's on hold. I was hoping to be able to experiment with and settle on a configuration that I could easily share with others facing exactly you're wanting to accomplish, including even using the device to establish a VPN connection to various commercial services.🙂

Roku devices support being able to authenticate to WiFi access points that you need to authenticate with via a web page, like onboard. So if you want a simple low-cost experiment for your next cruise, bring a Roku. To configure the WiFi you'll pick the WiFi access point using the Roku remote and TV, then connect your phone to the Roku-generated WiFi access point and it simply passes through your phone browser to the connected WiFi access point so you see the logon screens when you try to access the internet, etc., and once you authenticate the device the Roku will work too, and any of the apps that can run on it that aren't otherwise being blocked by the onboard firewall should work for you.

So basically there's lots of considerations and options...

1) You can share one-device-access to ships WiFi if you have a Samsung Galaxy phone; otherwise you'll either be switching the active WiFi device back and forth between your phone or other devices and the streaming device or router, or you'll buy a multiple-device WiFi package to allow the streaming device or router access independently.

2) If you find the services you want to use are blocked by the firewall aboard the ship, you most always will need to have a router that gives you the ability to obtain DNS service from a different location than the ship, and/or allows establishing a VPN that can make it through the ships firewall so as to be able to provide full open access to anything you want. If you have a laptop you can usually use the latest browser versions and enable DNS over https which the ship basically can't easily block, so you can at least get all domain names resolving properly. And many streaming devices may not allow a way to authenticate via web pages on WiFi access points, and the travel router generally is what helps you get past that.

3) Similarly there are on-phone apps that can connect to various VPNs and similarly then make that available via WiFi to other devices, but now you're really getting into complex setups and cases you have limited choices and have to pay for VPN apps on your phone device as well. I've only casually experimented with some of this so far so have little to offer suggestion-wise if you look into this route.

1 hour ago, dswallow said:

You're really asking about access to streaming services. And that's definitely an issue. The best approach is to bring a travel router that's got the flexibility to deal with the onboard WiFi access requirements. As to exactly which travel router to get... a lot depends on your comfort level working with some of these devices.

My personal use case is to simply connect via my Samsung Galaxy S20 (or previously, S9, S8 and S7), and then sharing the WiFi connection from the phone. The Samsung Galaxy models can share a WiFi internet connection over WiFi to other devices. An iPhone CANNOT do that; they can only share over a USB or Bluetooth connection to another device. So have my phone connected to ships WiFi, then share my connection over WiFi from the Samsung Galaxy. Then things like my Kindle and my laptop are connected to my Samsung Galaxy WiFi network, and have full access to everything over ships WiFi. But there's another caveat -- the ship has its own DNS servers that don't resolve many domains they consider undesirable, and they have onboard packet inspection firewalls that block certain types of content. You'll really only know what will and won't work directly by trying it. Netflix often works, as do things like Vudu and Hulu. I've successfully connected to my home PLEX server and to my home TiVo device. But I've not been able to connect to Xfinity's online streaming. So generally I use a VPN I establish on my laptop to a VPN server I also run at home (SoftEther). I also have an account with Witopia (personalVPN), and if you use the latest client and one of the two stealth modes they offer to personalVPN Pro and Premiere level subscribers everything usually works. I've previously had to contact Witopia online and get a temporary dedicated IP for the VPN, but with the latest client those things shouldn't be needed anymore.

I have also used the MikroTik hAP AC RouterBoard for similar cases on land (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BMMK4HI) and it's one of the more flexible devices that lets you configure a lot, but it's also not terribly non-technical-user-friendly. But most of the basic-level travel routers leave a lot to be desired in the ability to configure them for different use cases. The MicroTik router is a dual-band device that can establish connections to access points running at 2.4 or 5GHz, AND simultaneously provide an access point itself on either band as well. It's extremely powerful and flexible. There are some really cheap travel routers you can certainly try. The differences are generally how easy it is to connect to them in order to authenticate it to the ships WiFi or to your shared WiFi via a device like a Samsung Galaxy phone, whether they support multiple bands simultaneously or only allow connections on one band. I actually purchased another one of the MicroTik routers to take with me in March to experiment with onboard Anthem, but those sailings didn't happen, hence that's on hold. I was hoping to be able to experiment with and settle on a configuration that I could easily share with others facing exactly you're wanting to accomplish, including even using the device to establish a VPN connection to various commercial services.🙂

Roku devices support being able to authenticate to WiFi access points that you need to authenticate with via a web page, like onboard. So if you want a simple low-cost experiment for your next cruise, bring a Roku. To configure the WiFi you'll pick the WiFi access point using the Roku remote and TV, then connect your phone to the Roku-generated WiFi access point and it simply passes through your phone browser to the connected WiFi access point so you see the logon screens when you try to access the internet, etc., and once you authenticate the device the Roku will work too, and any of the apps that can run on it that aren't otherwise being blocked by the onboard firewall should work for you.

So basically there's lots of considerations and options...

1) You can share one-device-access to ships WiFi if you have a Samsung Galaxy phone; otherwise you'll either be switching the active WiFi device back and forth between your phone or other devices and the streaming device or router, or you'll buy a multiple-device WiFi package to allow the streaming device or router access independently.

2) If you find the services you want to use are blocked by the firewall aboard the ship, you most always will need to have a router that gives you the ability to obtain DNS service from a different location than the ship, and/or allows establishing a VPN that can make it through the ships firewall so as to be able to provide full open access to anything you want. If you have a laptop you can usually use the latest browser versions and enable DNS over https which the ship basically can't easily block, so you can at least get all domain names resolving properly. And many streaming devices may not allow a way to authenticate via web pages on WiFi access points, and the travel router generally is what helps you get past that.

3) Similarly there are on-phone apps that can connect to various VPNs and similarly then make that available via WiFi to other devices, but now you're really getting into complex setups and cases you have limited choices and have to pay for VPN apps on your phone device as well. I've only casually experimented with some of this so far so have little to offer suggestion-wise if you look into this route.

Wow...not sure I understand all of this. I have an iPhone so that is the difference with how you managed this. So perhaps I should try the travel router? 

I'll have to have my DH or one of our adult kids read your post and try to explain it all to my un-tech mind.

I want to thank you so very much for taking all the time this required to post this to me. I hope you'll find a chance to come back and let everyone asking these kind of questions benefit from your experience going forward.

Again many thanks..it's so much appreciated !!

Twangster-  a huge Thank You for the detailed info on how to connect an iPhone to the HDMI port on the cabin TV. I’ll have to try that on Anthem next May. My Apple lightning to HDMI cable being delivered today. 

For those with Apple products looking to share an internet connection there are some options, just not as easy as the Samsung method unfortunately.  And it requires having a MacBook connected to the internet to share it to other devices so not as convenient if outside of your cabin. 

I’ve used a MacBook to share an internet connection while in the cabin. It works best if you can plug in the MacBook to an Ethernet connection (not sure if newer ships even have them) and then share that via Wi-Fi with your devices. 

But there are other ways to do this either via Bluetooth or using another Wi-Fi adapter on your MacBook. Here is a good article explaining it.  

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/share-mac-wifi-hotspot-3490420/?_gl=1*hhciqh*_ga*YW1wLXlLVW1qbDJqM3FxM2dpZ2I2S3lpMEUyZGI4UHZEd29UYndGNkhud2xtaGxjc3ZpMzE2N0RrSVZ2U2hueTF3MXk.

Sharing an internet connection moves into an area where you are violating the terms and conditions of Voom.  For this reason it's something I am hesitant to discuss or promote.  

In the past I used a travel router to make up for poor wifi coverage within a cabin.   Wifi access points are in the hallway spaced every 4 to 8 cabins.  If you are unlucky and the access point is not close then the all metal cabin and steel cabin door can create a situation where wifi coverage is poor in the cabin.  This can occur even on newer ships like Anthem where I literally had to stand at my cabin door to make a wifi phone call.  Standing at the door for several minutes gets old fast. Lying on my bed I had no internet connection.

A travel router can function like a repeater creating a new strong signal that covers the whole cabin.  It can also be used by some to share a single Voom plan with other guests which is in violation of Voom policy.  For this reason they do take measures to seek out and block travel routers.  This varies by ship with some ships using more advanced techniques to thwart the use of travel routers.  

One simple method to make a travel router look like something else is MAC cloning.  Not all travel routers support this and even when they do the 3rd party that manages Voom uses other methods to find travel routers on some ships.  The scans they run profile devices using other methods and even with MAC cloning you can find a travel router loses its connection while a laptop or phone works fine in the same location on some ships.

The experience varies by ship with some ships not requiring MAC cloning to use a travel router to some ships where MAC cloning works to other ships where MAC cloning isn't enough.  Since the beginning of 2018 I have sailed something like 18 or 19 different ships in the fleet with multiple cruises on some of those ships.  That exposure has allowed me to experience how it works differently on different ships. 

Since I often get some work done while cruising especially on sea days I need to know my laptop can connect in worst case wifi coverage conditions.  I invested in a USB based wifi adapter with very large antennas that does a great job when wifi coverage is poor within a cabin.  My cell phone provider offers a wifi app that runs on my laptop so I can make wifi calls using my laptop.  This is my foolproof fall back plan that simply works in all cases even with sketchy wifi in a hotel or on a ship.

I carry a Galaxy S7 as my second phone but there are caveats to using that device as a wifi hotspot sharing device that has its own set of challenges on a ship in the middle of the ocean.  More importantly for me - an Android device can cast content natively to many smart TVs but that's a whole different topic. 

I have spent hours trying this or that which when I'm sailing solo helps pass the time and I enjoy the mental exercise to figure stuff like this out.  Sometimes though I reach a point where I give up and fall back to what I know works.  In most cases wifi coverage is adequate in most cabins.  When wifi coverage isn't an issue my phone connected to Voom legally with the HDMI adapter to the TV is a foolproof way to watch content and stay within Voom terms and conditions.  There is nothing they can do to object to this setup, it is properly using the services that I paid for.  

So what I am trying to say is this.  Most guests don't want to have to invest a lot of time or energy to get it to work.  They want to board the ship, plug something in and be done with it.  On an increasing basis travel routers aren't that like they were in 2018 or 2019.  It varies by ship which creates uncertainty and frustration when someone posts about this great solution they use only for someone else to discover it doesn't work well on a different ship ship a year later.

Lots of things are possible and if you are tech minded it can be fun to try different approaches but some of them will end up in frustration for other people who don't want to invest a lot of time or energy to get it to work.  For this reason I'm careful to post what I've been able to achieve versus what is most likely to work for everyone.

• Like 1

I was in a cabin on Grandeur of the Seas once where the only reliable way I could connect in my cabin was by hanging my phone right next to the cabin door, wrapping the cord over the closet door, with it configured as the WiFi access point, so that I could access the internet through my laptop. I later bought a long USB cable just for cases I might need to do that again so that I didn't have to repurpose an extension cord from my CPAP whenever I wanted internet. It wasn't perfect, there were still problems.

Now on that same ship, I could go outside my cabin and out into any area open to the Centrum and everything was always working well. Though just out in the hall outside my cabin was still occasionally iffy. So this was definitely a ship WiFi access point issue; either a bad access point or some other interference in that particular area.

I actually wandered around the ship and gathered logs of access point scans just to see if later I could use that info in any manner to figure anything out. In the process I found that the South Pacific Lounge area had almost no useful WiFi service ever, though one day everything worked OK.

The newer ships or those at least upgraded to the higher speed backend service definitely have better WiFi coverage internally.

It's a shame they can't just allow it to work properly. You just don't know if something is failing because there's a problem or it's failing because they're intentionally trying to block something and it, correctly or incorrectly, is interpreting your usage as something to block.