Canada and NE cruise out of cape liberty

allisonb22

Has anyone cruised in mid may out of cape liberty to Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia? looking for info on what the weather is like, ports, etc. The ship is Adventure OTS and doesn't seem ideal for cooler weather if its chilly. TIA! 

Haven’t cruised this, but live in one of the ports. Weather here in Eastern Canada mid May is probably in the 55-60 degree weather range most days though we do occasionally see a random day or two in the 70’s.

Definitely not beach weather but still ok for sightseeing.

Regarding Adventure's suitability for the itineraries - we sailed on her in September 2018 from NJ to Quebec. Besides some extra crowds indoors on the chilly days, we didn't have a problem. 

I wouldn't bank on much pool time, but that wasn't our priority for the trip. We did get to use the pool while we were in Sydney, NS though.

We're on the 15 May Adventure to NE/Canada and the following 9 night Bermuda/Caribbean on 21 May.  We've been on NE/Canada in Oct and it was cold.  May varies.  Adventure doesn't have any indoor pools, but so what?  We hang out inside and read, etc.  There will be plenty going on.  We're just thrilled to be cruising again.  I dislocated my kneecap and broke and dislocated my ankle in Aug and had surgery in Sept.  Believe me, your perspective changes dramatically when you can't walk or take care of yourself for multiple weeks.  I'm still slow due to my knee, but we're going on this b2b and I've said I'd be happy just being onboard.  It won't be so cold that you can't enjoy the ports.

Edited by BND

2 hours ago, 1novascotian said:

Definitely not beach weather but still ok for sightseeing

thanks for the response! we're in ct so i usually dont like to cruise unless its to somewhere warm. but..i'd much rather be chilly on a cruise ship than at home anyday!

27 minutes ago, BND said:

I'm still slow due to my knee, but we're going on this b2b and I've said I'd be happy just being onboard.

i agree! hope your ankle/knee are feeling better. we're looking at the may 15 sailing also.

We usually do caribbean sailings but we got a good deal and its nice to squeeze in an unexpected cruise. even if it's chilly, i doubt we will be upset. we'll be on a cruise, there's nothing to complain about! 

11 hours ago, allisonb22 said:

i agree! hope your ankle/knee are feeling better. we're looking at the may 15 sailing also.

We usually do caribbean sailings but we got a good deal and its nice to squeeze in an unexpected cruise. even if it's chilly, i doubt we will be upset. we'll be on a cruise, there's nothing to complain about! 

My knee is improving steadily.  My ankle has been pretty good for a while, just some minor swelling.  Unless I improve drastically, I'm going to take a walking cane with a seat attached for any standing/waiting just to make it easier for me.  I also plan to ask to do muster inside due to not being able to really stand in one spot for too long or my quads get quite tight.  Now, by May it may have changed a lot, but I'm planning ahead.  Heck, I've noticed a big improvement in my limp just in the last few days as well as my knee feeling better.

We are set for a 9 Night Maine & Canada on Celebrity Summit 28MAY2020 from Cape Liberty with stops at Portland, Bar Harbor, Saint John, Sydney & Halifax...

Expect spring time weather.  Ship's interior and cabins should be just fine.

We did a 9 Night Canada / New England Cruise this past October on the Grandeur out of Baltimore with stops in Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor, Saint John & Halifax...  We hit a very bad N. Atlantic storm and our shedule was changed quite a bit. Visited Portland, Extra Boston Day and Halifax. Bar Harbor and Saint John were cancelled. (We did get a nice refund for the missed ports). Had and extra sea day on the return to Baltimore, very rough seas 16 to 25 ft waves, I did 25 years in the Navy and rough seas do not bother me, the dining room was only half filled that last day at sea)...

Dennis & Sue

Hi everyone,

My wife and I leave June 21 on Oasis of the Seas to St. John and Halifax.  This will be our first cruise.  Any recommendations on parking at Cape Liberty?  We were considering the main cruise terminal parking or Bayonne Cruise Parking which is a little cheaper.

I’ve done this route several times in the fall on Explorer. You won’t really have much in the way of pool weather but it’s a pretty port intensive trip and you should expect great touring weather. I’ve spent some time in Boston. One year there was a Halloween snowstorm and another year I was watching the parade in a t-shirt and shorts. You just never know. 

I am from Saint John (St. John drives be bonkers) and still live in its suburbs.  If you are coming in early/mid May there will likely not be many leaves on the trees yet.  It depends on how warm the spring is but the last few years have been kind of late blooming.  Weather is usually pretty nice, but bring sweaters especially for SJ as it can be chilly especially if it is foggy which we are known for.  I used to live in Halifax too but have not done so for awhile.  If I remember correctly spring is spring a little earlier down there.

With that being said, I have been out in shorts in mid May and gotten a sunburn so it is kind of hit or miss.

• Like 1

We cruised on May 25th 2019.

We had

48F and sunny in St John - Perfect day for visiting Fundy Trail Parkway or Hopewell rock park (via rental car)

45 and cloudy/rainy in Halifax. - repeated Peggy's cove  (didn't go to Titanic cemetery this time).. and weather even colder/rainy was fine for this trip.

Bar Harbor was warmer with overcast changing to sun. In early part of morning fog was very heavy.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BND said:

Heck, I've noticed a big improvement in my limp just in the last few days as well as my knee feeling better.

can't hurt to plan ahead. i'm 21 and have had 3 surgeries on my knee, including a full reconstruction. i totally understand not being able to stand for too long in one place. 

hope you're better by your trip!

Just now, allisonb22 said:

glad to hear that. how did you like grandeur? we might be on her for the jan 2 sailing. 

We've been on GR 7 times and love that ship and crew.  Sad that she's leaving the fleet. 

6 hours ago, ChoptankCrab said:

We were considering the main cruise terminal parking

we have always done the main terminal parking and found it very easy! never had any issues, always right in and right out. i'm not sure what the price is though