Embarkation in Peru

Chlocam

Does anyone have any experience of embarkation in Lima,  I’ve read that the port isn’t exactly the best area and also quite secure,  just wondering how easy it is to get to the ship and also as we are overnight will it be easy to get on and off the ship:  TIA 

I embarked in Lima in 2018. As you say the port facilities are not good. We actually were directed to check in at the JW Marriott Hotel and were then taken with our luggage by bus to the port a short distance away. It was pretty painless. I stayed at the Belma Boutique B and B which was just around the corner from the Marriott and I loved it there. Very friendly small hotel. 

I don't have experience of an overnight so can't help with that, but Callao is not a good area and I'd exercise caution if walking around there. 

Phil 

34 minutes ago, ellbon said:

I stayed at The Belmont. The ship even shuttles you to the hotel for guests and crew who want to visit the mall or other areas. 

Pursuit did not do that in November 2018 so is this a recent change. The only shuttles were to the Marriott 

21 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

If you mean the Belmond in Miraflores, not sure what price you paid, but I looked and it’s like $400+ a night.  

Phil

I am sure I paid at least that was on a club level floor. But it was worth it.

19 minutes ago, uktog said:

Pursuit did not do that in November 2018 so is this a recent change. The only shuttles were to the Marriott 

Ann, you are correct..I should of said which hotel. But the Belmont is under ten minute walk. I used one  of the gift shops at Marriott and walked there and to the mall at night.A very safe walk at night.

4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

If you mean the Belmond in Miraflores, not sure what price you paid, but I looked and it’s like $400+ a night.  

Phil

Yeah the Belmond hotels are very expensive everywhere. I think some of them are worth it because of their unique location, for example the Belmond hotel at the entrance of Machu Pichu or the Belmond Hotel inside of the Iguazú Falls. I have stayed on those,  but in Lima there are other hotels who are also good and not that expensive. 
Ivi

• Like 2

Very helpful posting, thank you. We are a party of 4, arriving in Lima around 11:30PM on Sunday. I had made arrangements for the Hotel Bolivar in the historic center, got a somewhat frantic phone call yesterday from Fran about the Marriott. Well, we've cancelled the Bolivar, reserved the night at the Marriott, and will take the day from there. Is there actually cruise check in at the Marriott, or is it just the shuttle stop? It would be nice to be able to sleep late, have breakfast, dump the luggage downstairs and go off on our own for the day. Any further info? David

4 hours ago, Dr H said:

Very helpful posting, thank you. We are a party of 4, arriving in Lima around 11:30PM on Sunday. I had made arrangements for the Hotel Bolivar in the historic center, got a somewhat frantic phone call yesterday from Fran about the Marriott. Well, we've cancelled the Bolivar, reserved the night at the Marriott, and will take the day from there. Is there actually cruise check in at the Marriott, or is it just the shuttle stop? It would be nice to be able to sleep late, have breakfast, dump the luggage downstairs and go off on our own for the day. Any further info? David

Good decision to move from the historical centro to Miraflores. Miraflores is a safer area. You can go on a tour during the day to the Centro Historico but I would not stay there during or walk alone at night.

We stayed at the Antigua Miraflores Hotel and very much enjoyed it. Not overly pricey, but big room, kingsize bed, and included breakfast. There were a mixture of nationalities staying there, including a few other cruise travelers. 

I'll attach a snapshot of the room, and one of me in front with the bicycles they have available (not sure if there was a fee for the bikes since we walked everywhere.)

IMG_4631.JPG

IMG_4689.jpg

• Like 1

I wasn't too worried about safety at the Bolivar. We would be dropped off by taxi around midnight, go to bed, do a little sightseeing after breakfast and then head off to the ship. All in all, however, I think we made the right move by staying in Miraflores. Fran wants to hit the Indian Market for trinkets. We've booked the ship's tour of the local islands for D2 prior to our sailing. I'd love to eat out, but from what I've read about the water, I'm just a tad paranoid. I travel with a full medical kit, invariably it gets used by other cruisers and not by us. This trip is going to be a bit different. Any food suggestions? Stuff that should not be missed? (Monkey brains are an absolute no-no)

3 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

We stayed at the Antigua Miraflores Hotel and very much enjoyed it. Not overly pricey, but big room, kingsize bed, and included breakfast. There were a mixture of nationalities staying there, including a few other cruise travelers. 

I'll attach a snapshot of the room, and one of me in front with the bicycles they have available (not sure if there was a fee for the bikes since we walked everywhere.)

IMG_4631.JPG

IMG_4689.jpg

Nice pictures Bonnie. I know that hotel also. Last time I was in Lima I have stayed at the Aloft Marriot Hotel. New hotel and reasonable in price in Miraflores. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dr H said:

I wasn't too worried about safety at the Bolivar. We would be dropped off by taxi around midnight, go to bed, do a little sightseeing after breakfast and then head off to the ship. All in all, however, I think we made the right move by staying in Miraflores. Fran wants to hit the Indian Market for trinkets. We've booked the ship's tour of the local islands for D2 prior to our sailing. I'd love to eat out, but from what I've read about the water, I'm just a tad paranoid. I travel with a full medical kit, invariably it gets used by other cruisers and not by us. This trip is going to be a bit different. Any food suggestions? Stuff that should not be missed? (Monkey brains are an absolute no-no)

Lima is the gastronomical capital from Latin America. Restaurants in Lima are among the 10 best of the world. 
As I understand you are coming middle in the night and leaving next day. Not much time to try food. However since you are planning to go to the Indian Market in Miraflores, not far from there is a good restaurant with Peruvian food and very much appreciated from locals and foreigners called Panchita. Have a look at the web page. It is open for lunch and it is better to reserve. If for some reason you cannot reserve, you can go there about 10 minutes before they open and probably you get a place.

Other good restaurant with Peruvian food is called Tanta at the Larco Mar in front the hotel Marriot. They are several Tantas but the one at Larco Mar is convenient if you are in Miraflores.

Other restaurant which is very good is the Huaca Pucllana. It has an amazing setting in front of pre inca ruins.

If you can do not leave Lima without trying the pisco sour. 

Finally if you are there on Sunday, the best place to have lunch is the Marriot Hotel in which you will be staying. For me is one of the best bufett lunchs of the world. Lots of selections, Peruvian and international food, all pisco sour you can drink plus a glass of red wine for about US 30. 

I could go on... I love the gastronomy in Lima and once in a while I fly to Peru just to enjoy it 😌.

Ivi 

Ivi: THANK YOU! We had hoped to fly into Lima a few days prior to the cruise, but it turned out that airfare was almost unaffordable except on Sunday. We never leave the day before a cruise, but had to make an exception here. If only we had been able to get to Lima on Saturday, your Sunday brunch recommendation would have been greatly appreciated.  Day 1 of the "cruise" is Monday, but the ship doesn't sail until 5PM on Tuesday. That leaves us all day Monday for shopping and dining. I have made note of your recommendations. I mentioned we booked a ship's tour to the Palomino Islands for Tuesday. It runs from 9AM returning at 1PM. The ship sails at 5, we have to be on board by 3:30, so we may possibly get to one of your other suggestions on Tuesday. We will see. But again, thank you for your great tip. 

The port is awful. We were there one year ago. Took a taxi from JW Marriott (they didn’t offer any other mode of transportation). Taxi driver was so confused. And we were no help. We showed him the port address. The language barrier didn’t help, but we were lost. Finally, I saw the ship, and recalled a tiny bit of high school Spanish. I shouted, “Aqui, aqui.” That he understood. We finally got there. But...if you can take a shuttle, that is a great idea.  Btw, we did indeed ask the hotel for an English speaking driver. They assured us we would get one. We didn’t. 

Good to know. I'm fluent in Italian, which works perfectly well in Spain, but I've found that my European Italian is worthless for communication with American Spanish speakers. We'll take the shuttle! And everyone keeps posting on how horrible the port area is. That will probably become a tourist attraction, of sorts, in and of itself.