Pickleball On Rhine RIver Ports of Call

TRPickleman

I think that European river cruises are about the city/town experience - concur with cruiseryyc. 

while there are things to do on board, it isn't at all like an ocean cruise that has extensive sports related activities on board.  

Even if you did find somewhere to play, it could be risky.  Your boat may not dock "in town", and you would have to rely on the shuttle bus which would probably take you to the centre of the "old town".  From there, you would have to find your own transport.  Also, there are times where the tours take place in one area, and the boat moves to another location, so you would have a hard time getting back.  

River cruising is not like ocean cruising where you are in port for a set time.  Sometimes you go to 2 ports in one day, so free time can be limited.  

I think this sort of question is best asked in a pickleball forum, perhaps not a river cruise forum. Though I agree with above posters - taking a river cruise and wanting to play pickleball in port might not work out well - too many variables at play regarding timing & location.

This pickleball site had a blog post last year listing pickleball/vacation options - there was a tournament in France, and some options in Germany (even along the Rhine)! https://blog.pickleballcentral.com/category/international-pickleball/

PS I don't think the terms of CC allow me to post some of the other links I found - but there are group pickleball vacations, and it looks like last year there was (at least) one chartered river cruise just for pickleballers. Since we can't post travel agency links, I won't. But they're out there. Trips for everyone and every hobby!!!

Hoyaheel, FYI or fwiw.

In the past I posted links relevant to non cruise questions with no blowback. Key thing to avoid are competing travel agency sites and sites with “inappropriate” content. Unless pickle ball is something other than I think it is, the latter should be no problem. 🙄

Travel activities are what you make them. Do what you enjoy and meet local people. I once spent an enjoyable few hours in an Irish pub in, iirc, Koln watching an Irish National Rugby team match with a Guinness (or more) after an off ship meal of zigeunerschnitzel . . . Can’t get more local color and culture than that.

Hope the OP can find a local club and manage to contact them to arrange some court time. We cruised with people who pre-arranged tennis, horse riding, skeet/trap, and a lap of the Ring during the cruise. 

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

Hoyaheel, FYI or fwiw.

In the past I posted links relevant to non cruise questions with no blowback. Key thing to avoid are competing travel agency sites and sites with “inappropriate” content. Unless pickle ball is something other than I think it is, the latter should be no problem. 🙄

It was TA sites with chartered trips, nothing inappropriate 😉 Just against the rules here. Sorry, I thought I was clear but nope, I was not....

Me too!

I opened this thread because I have never heard the term 'pickleball' and wondered if it was a type of condiment with a different name in Europe....

As, according to Wikipaedia, it's a type of tennis I think @Daisi has pointed out the salient issues. Better to go with the flow and enjoy the cruise.

Edited by pontac