Questions about RC from a Newbie :)

Kgills

I am new to Royal Caribbean, have previously cruised many times on Princess.  I've spent hours this week reading through the RC threads, getting acquainted with the line and reading as much information as I can.  Have to say I'm very excited about going on Allure in December with friends.  I have a couple questions:

1.  Can I bring a 12 pack of Coke Zero onboard?  If so, do I need to carry it on or can I check it as part of my luggage with the porters?  I will most likely buy the beverage package and not do this, but would like to know my options 🙂

2.  I am cruising with 2 friends relatively new to cruising - one was on RC in 2019 for a Mediterranean itinerary and the other on Allure for the February 9 sailing.  They want to book an inside room.  Do you think an inside room is realistically big enough for 3 adults?  I know we will just sleep and get ready in the room, but it seems awfully small.  They want the least expensive room option and then spend the difference on other things. I will be happy with the inside room - after all, I'm on the ship with great friends - but am a little concerned about the space!  I know this is a completely subjective question but would love your input! 

Thanks in advance for your help!  I am sure I will be posting many questions in the months to come.  I want to learn everything I can before the cruise 🙂

you (and your friends) can bring up to 2 bottles of wine (each 750ml) and 12 containers of non-alcoholic drinks up to 17 oz. total per cabin.  You MUST Carry this on, it cannot be checked with your luggage.

As for the cabin, you will find the inside cabin a bit tight for 3 adults.   you will be sharing one bathroom and someone will be sleeping either on a sofa or a pullman bed (not the most comfortable for an adult).     You may also want to check with a TA to see if they have group space where you may be able to get an oceanview or balcony for approximately the price that RCI wants for an interior.

Steve

• Like 1

I sailed in an interior this past summer on The Harmony with my 2 adult daughters.  We were perfectly fine with the room.  I had the sofa bed which was just as comfortable as theirs.  I wouldn’t hesitate to do the same again.

• Like 1

You'll be okay in an inside.  You probably won't want to hang out in there, but it will be just fine for sleeping.  You might be able to go to the fitness center and use the showers in there if you are all trying to get ready for dinner at the same time.  I think it was on our Allure cruise that my friends did this because they were 3 ladies sharing a room.

• Like 1

"On boarding day, each stateroom may bring up to two 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne, as long as one guest is of legal drinking age."

"Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom."

More info on the RCI site at https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/food-drink-onboard-policy

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help!  I'm going to try and talk to my friends into a balcony but, based on the responses, am confident we'll be okay in the inside room if that's what we choose.  We're three really good friends who live in Hawaii, Idaho and California so the close quarters might just be perfect for great conversations and laughter  🙂

And great tip on using the shower in the fitness center.  I always hit the gym when I return from a cruise but have never worked out while on the cruise.  Seeing the gym equipment as I go through to use the fitness center shower just might be the push I need 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The three adults in any standard size room will be tight. Now, you might not care, but since you are asking you probably will. So, if you are willing to not pay the absolute minimum for your room, there are options:

1.  Look for a large room such as the large ocean views. Still meant for kids in the extra beds, but it has to be better than standard size.  

2.  You might still be able to get a solo room this far out (I think Allure has them). 

While I never have done this myself I know two different people who have done this and they still regret it years later. But, as always YMMV. But I wouldn’t Chance messing up my trip buy trying to squeeze every last dollar out. 

16 hours ago, 4104ever said:

I sailed in an interior this past summer on The Harmony with my 2 adult daughters.  We were perfectly fine with the room.  I had the sofa bed which was just as comfortable as theirs.  I wouldn’t hesitate to do the same again.

I would be far more likely to do this with 2 adult daughters than I would with 2 friends.  The dynamic is just different.  It can be done, of course, with friends, but maybe not  the best choice?  As the old saying goes, "whatever floats your boat" (pun kind of intended!).  To the OP...Enjoy your cruise ! 🙂

I  haven't sailed in an inside so I can't say this definitively, but I would think that the sleeping options for the 3rd person would be the same in an inside as in an ocean view or a balcony...sofa bed or Pullman.  You won't be more or less comfortable while sleeping...it will be more about total space in the cabin when not sleeping.  Another potential option...get 2 connecting insides and open the connecting door.  In addition to extra beds and extra space, you get 2 bathrooms.  Plus, the friend who snores the worst sleeps alone and doesn't bother the others. 😀

Disclaimer...I need at least a balcony for sunlight, fresh air, and staring at the ocean.  We don't spend a lot of time in our cabin, but it's certainly more than just to sleep and get ready.  Coffee on the balcony in the morning while my wife gets ready is one of my favorite parts of cruising.