Decorating for 50th anniversary?

15 minutes ago, Califonria cruiser said:

Am travelling on Harmony in June to celebrate my parent's 50th! Am I allowed to decorate the door or the inside of the stateroom?

Anyone have tips to make it festive?

Jenn

Yes but stay away from smoke detector and sprinkler. 🙂

2 Years ago we did this on the Freedom. We decorated the door and every day we added more. We had quite a few family members on board and everyone contributed to the daily decorating fun. We also opted to purchase one of the Anniversary decorating packages the ship offers. It's a bit cheezy, but worth it. Our parents really don't go for frills, but when they walked into the room the first day and the room was decorated, they just loved it! 

Tell your parents congrats!

On a previous cruise we celebrated our granddaughter's 13th birthday. 

We had purchased decorations for her cabin and had brought them onboard with us.  On her special day, while my wife, her older brother and our son's son were having lunch at Johnny Rocket's, my daughter and her husband decorated the cabin.  Their room steward also helped with get things all arranged.   As part of the surprise we did not put anything on the door until after she had seen all the decorations inside the room.  

So you can choose to have the decorations that you can get through the cruise planner, or you can bring your own and put them up yourself.  The little magnet hooks and magnet buttons work great for holding things in place. 

Yes!  You can decorate using magnets!    We recently decorated for a friends 50th birthday!   I actually put things up in my room down the hall first so that I could put them up in their room super quickly.    I brought signs that were laced with string that I attached to good magnet clips (dollar store actually has really good heavy duty ones!!).  

Also - at the party store - they have those tendrils that pack flat and you untwist - those were super easy to put on the ceiling with a magnet! 

lastly - if you get the package from Royal - it has little clips that hang down to hold the decorations on - they are intended to hold photos!  Bring some photos or small drawings and notes from family from home that you can clip on them to add a personal touch!!

On our 50th, 2 years ago, the kids decorated the door and room our daughter went to the MDR a few minutes early and decorated the table.  Of course the servers were warned ahead of time and the photographer showed up too.  There were eighteen of us but everyone around us enjoyed it to!  FUN! Congrats!!

I will share my experience and hope it helps - DH hit 60 on our last cruise and the RCL birthday packages seemed too childish and also added in things he would care nothing about (like mirror frames). I ended up doing this:

1. Ordered a chocolate cake from royal gifts (delicious!).

2. Bought a decor package from Amazon of hanging gold and silver metallic- like steamers and 60th logos (I worried about this as you are it they came with these little plastic loops attached that were easily placed on the edge of various ceiling objects (note it’s on the side of the ceiling cuff of the sprinkler, not the sprinkler itself).  I did it by myself pretty quickly!

3. I took a pack of matching napkins from hobby lobby that I bought to use for the cake and a special cake topper with his name that I made (but you can buy great ones at hobby lobby or online).

4. We asked the room attendant leave extra glasses (and had brought soda) for guests.

5. I had purchased one of the large flat magnets personalized door decorations for the cruise that announced it was his 60th birthday (like @ONECRUISER mentioned above).

6. We had such a good roll call group and spent enough time with some of them during the cruise that we invited 2 couples to his birthday “party’ (and evening then we didn’t get close to finishing off that cake). He loved it!  

Happy Anniversary and good luck!

(This photo doesn’t do it justice but you can get some idea of the setup)

4196DE13-A776-45B0-AE99-91451B74B983.jpeg

Edited by AlohaLivin

• 2 weeks later...