Seeking advice regarding canceling due to virus-Italy

feenix

24 minutes ago, lurkmaster said:

Hey new here, but does this apply to cancellation at any time all the way up to the cruise date? So even if I have made final payment I can cancel and get full credit for a future cruise and only be down $100 per person?

No, after final payment there are graduated higher penalties till 30 days out when you get nothing back. 

Let's see.

322 cases in all of Italy.  Out of 60+ MILLION people.  How likely are you to come in contact with one?????

90% of the people that get it, recover.  Current number, 2,708 deaths with 27,878 recovered.   

During the time of those 2,708 deaths throughout the world, some 10,000 people have died of the flu IN THE US.

Edited by SRF
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, cpaman said:

I cancelled my cruise sailing out of Venice in May (12 day cruise)

I lost approx.  $1,100 doing this.

I feel that it was a safe thing to do.

I question the medical care in Europe and will not put my Wife or myself in harms way.

Do not look for trouble.

Staying in the USA this year.

Taxman.

I wish everyone the best on this virus situation.

Regarding the medical care in Europe, it seems that most wealthy people who need medical care such as Mick Jagger (as an example) come to America for treatment.

Good luck to all.

CPAMAN.

• Haha 1

We don’t intend to cancel our spring or summer cruises I likely should be more fearful in life than I am, I don’t worry a lot about these kinds of issues. But, I have been wondering recently if passengers who are at a higher risk of infection due to an auto immune disorder or some other immunity issues (e.g., those who have recently undergone chemo or who take certain meds) would be covered for a cancellation if their physician indicated In writing that they should not travel (particularly if this virus spreads more extensively than it currently has).  Anyone have experience with a thing similar?

Edited by AlohaLivin

2 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

But, I have been wondering recently if passengers who are at a higher risk of infection due to an auto immune disorder or some other immunity issues (e.g., those who have recently undergone chemo or who take certain meds) would be covered for a cancellation if their physician indicated In writing that they should not travel (particularly if this virus spreads more extensively than it currently has).  Anyone have experience with a thing similar?

I think doctor would have to say that passenger is medically unable to travel, period. Insurance doesn't cover you for what might happen, they cover you for losses experienced. 

23 hours ago, lbjen said:

You could also look to see if there’s any insurance policies that will give you cancel for any reason coverage, since you are about to make final payment. I think Nationwide allows you to add it at this point. You’d get 75% of your total trip cost back if you decided to use it. Obviously still some cost involved but it gives you some more time to decide. 

Cancel at anytime excludes epidemics.

7 hours ago, lurkmaster said:

Hey new here, but does this apply to cancellation at any time all the way up to the cruise date? So even if I have made final payment I can cancel and get full credit for a future cruise and only be down $100 per person?

Uhmm. No. 

FOR 1 TO 4 NIGHT CRUISES
(including Holiday sailings)
IF CANCELLATION IS MADE
CANCELLATION CHARGE
75 days or more prior to the first day of the Cruise No charge (except for Nonrefundable Deposit amounts)
74 to 61 days 50% of total price
60 to 31 days 75% of total price
30 days or less 100% of total price (No refund)

FOR 5 NIGHTS OR LONGER CRUISES
(including Holiday sailings and Cruisetours)
IF CANCELLATION IS MADE
CANCELLATION CHARGE
90 days or more prior to the first day of the Cruise No charge (except for Nonrefundable Deposit amounts)
89 to 75 days 25% of total price
74 to 61 days 50% of total price
60 to 31 days 75% of total price
30 days or less 100% of total price (No refund)

5 hours ago, marci22 said:

I think doctor would have to say that passenger is medically unable to travel, period. Insurance doesn't cover you for what might happen, they cover you for losses experienced. 

Yes, but if someone were particularly susceptible at a given time in unusual conditions (like one that may evolve with this virus) then the condition at hand would be the susceptibility and not the virus would make the barrier to travel medically necessary. My work involves health insurance not travel insurance and clearly they are far different creatures, but I don’t think it would make sense to dismiss it as a possible basis for a claim.

Edited by AlohaLivin

22 hours ago, cpaman said:

I cancelled my cruise sailing out of Venice in May (12 day cruise)

I lost approx.  $1,100 doing this.

I feel that it was a safe thing to do.

I question the medical care in Europe and will not put my Wife or myself in harms way.

Do not look for trouble.

Staying in the USA this year.

Taxman.

I would not do it either.

22 hours ago, cpaman said:

8 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

Yes, but if someone were particularly susceptible at a given time in unusual conditions (like one that may evolve with this virus) then the condition at hand would be the susceptibility and not the virus would make the barrier to travel medically necessary. My work involves health insurance not travel insurance and clearly they are far different creatures, but I don’t think it would make sense to dismiss it as a possible basis for a claim.

Travel insurance goes by the t&c. Each policy is different. Things are either covered or not covered. Many exclude epidemics and pandemics. Everyone has to read their policy. The covered reasons will be listed. They also list noncovered reasons.

If someone is immunocompromised and bought a policy, they would have already agreed that they were fit to travel as of the date of policy purchase. Susceptibility is not a covered reason. Now if the immunocompromised person's condition has changed in some way since the time they bought it, and assuming they had a pre-existing condition waiver in force, maybe that particular development would allow the doctor to say the person cannot travel.

Otherwise you have anyone over 60, immunocompromised, have an underlying condition, or worried for some reason that they 'might' get infected, able to cancel. If you bought cancel for any reason, you might be covered for a portion of your trip costs, but again, if epidemics and pandemics are excluded, I don't know if that would be covered.  If you do travel and get sick,  your policy should cover your medical expenses. That is what you paid for.

2 hours ago, marci22 said:

Travel insurance goes by the t&c. Each policy is different. Things are either covered or not covered. Many exclude epidemics and pandemics. Everyone has to read their policy. The covered reasons will be listed. They also list noncovered reasons.

If someone is immunocompromised and bought a policy, they would have already agreed that they were fit to travel as of the date of policy purchase. Susceptibility is not a covered reason. Now if the immunocompromised person's condition has changed in some way since the time they bought it, and assuming they had a pre-existing condition waiver in force, maybe that particular development would allow the doctor to say the person cannot travel.

Otherwise you have anyone over 60, immunocompromised, have an underlying condition, or worried for some reason that they 'might' get infected, able to cancel. If you bought cancel for any reason, you might be covered for a portion of your trip costs, but again, if epidemics and pandemics are excluded, I don't know if that would be covered.  If you do travel and get sick,  your policy should cover your medical expenses. That is what you paid for.

it’s not my situation, just a hypothetical (I was thinking more about my mother who we lost during the holidays who had undergone chemo during her last years). I am not a travel insurance expert for sure and assume you are. I would have thought that some policies would handle pre-existing conditions differently. But it wasn’t any kind of important comment as with almost all comments on any forum, but was just a thought about what might be an issue for some people from someone without travel insurance expertise and without much extra time,. So on to other things. Have a great day 😊

Edited by AlohaLivin

6 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

it’s not my situation, just a hypothetical (I was thinking more about my mother who we lost during the holidays who had undergone chemo during her last years). I am not a travel insurance expert for sure and assume you are. I assumed that some policies would handle pre-existing conditions differently. But it wasn’t an important question, just a thought about the issue (I sometimes post forgetting that I am at Cc and the smallest nothing issue can turn magically into a something LOL). Have a great day 😊

Sorry about your mother.  It was a good question because a lot of people assume things about policies and I always say, read your terms and conditions as they vary between policies.

It takes time to organize thoughts when replying and I did revise a few times. Don't take it personally but take it as how I intended it to be, which is informational. My prior answer was much shorter but you replied again so I tried to be more explanatory and to give some points which you might find useful when purchasing a policy. 

Not an expert and as always, ymmv.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 4:56 PM, lbjen said:

You could also look to see if there’s any insurance policies that will give you cancel for any reason coverage, since you are about to make final payment. I think Nationwide allows you to add it at this point. You’d get 75% of your total trip cost back if you decided to use it. Obviously still some cost involved but it gives you some more time to decide. 

Most travel policies issued now will exclude the Coronavirus as it is a known issue.  So be careful of buying travel insurance at this point due to Coronavirus.  Here is what a major travel insurance FAQ page states today and I expect all are doing this:

"Please also note that Coronavirus became a known risk on January 24, 2020 and, as such, any claim arising from Coronavirus may not be covered if the policy was purchased or the trip was arranged on or after January 24, 2020."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marci22 said:

Sorry about your mother.  It was a good question because a lot of people assume things about policies and I always say, read your terms and conditions as they vary between policies.

It takes time to organize thoughts when replying and I did revise a few times. Don't take it personally but take it as how I intended it to be, which is informational. My prior answer was much shorter but you replied again so I tried to be more explanatory and to give some points which you might find useful when purchasing a policy. 

Not an expert and as always, ymmv.

I didn’t take it personally - one just never knows when something small will go sideways here as I am sure you have experience! Honestly, I try hard to make my words clear here bc it is so easy for things written to be harsher than meant when read by a stranger. We travel often and my parents did before me but luckily I haven’t had to become very experienced in this area as it’s rarely been needed. I do work with health insurance (unfortunately it is the basis for my income 🤢) and tend to think along those lines. But my parents cruised very early on and cruised with us in the 70’s and so her chemo and cruising brought the hypothetical!  Ok, heading off now, have a good one 😊

4 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

I try hard to make my words clear here..

I do, too but a certain percentage of times after I spend life minutes carefully crafting my answer someone will respond adversely so in that case I just cb it. 😉

Impossible for everyone to read your answer (or even question) the same way.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

We need a definition of that so everyone can use it. 🤣

There is a well known poster who has a certain posting style. I use that style when needed. For ex. someone posts a really long question to your reply that you just aren't inclined to answer. Or someone posts a reply to your post and the conversation has since moved on, etc. CB it.

Edited by marci22

5 hours ago, marci22 said:

I do, too but a certain percentage of times after I spend life minutes carefully crafting my answer someone will respond adversely so in that case I just cb it. 😉

Impossible for everyone to read your answer (or even question) the same way.

Without knowing the person it makes it so hard. And there are those who bite just to bite (and no not you 👩‍❤️‍👩). I know that keeps people from posting at times. But in the best case scenario it’s hard to accurate perceive things only written down by strangers!

I just went to Lowe’s to get a 3m cool mask for sanding (working on cabinets) and they were gone. They said some guy came and bought over 40 saying  he was “going to Europe” and a woman came in with rubber gloves on and bought 23. OY! Hospitals are going to be in a mess if people take all the mask and the people that really need or don’t have any. Clearly there is a lot of fear out there.

Edited by AlohaLivin