Prices are WAY DOWN for March cruising, are we crazy to chance it?

mjcatlvr

The great prices this month made us decide to do a last minute cruise.  We decided on the week of the 15th.  The prices for that week are very good but the same sailings for this week bottomed out into unheard of price levels.  My issue is to book now or wait another week.  The prices are good but I think it may follow the trend this week and get even better.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 5:59 PM, Cee_Jay said:

I have cancelled a Panama Transit in May.  Yes the Caribean and central America maybe low risk....AT PRESENT.  This Virus is spreading fast and everywhere. I just felt I would be worrying rather than fully enjoying the cruise.

There is only one answer to your question and that is your own risk assessment. In my case being 75 added to my concern and I felt happiest to cancel and quite possibly book again next year. The decision has to be YOURS not anyone else's  but look at the facts and think.

Good luck and enjoy it if you go, put the money aside for next year if you decide not to

I agree, not worth it if you are nervous. Enjoy your trip next year 😊

2 minutes ago, ray98 said:

The great prices this month made us decide to do a last minute cruise.  We decided on the week of the 15th.  The prices for that week are very good but the same sailings for this week bottomed out into unheard of price levels.  My issue is to book now or wait another week.  The prices are good but I think it may follow the trend this week and get even better.

Yes, I agree. We will decide later this week then book last minute. Highly unlikely that prices would go up.

Certainly don't think you are crazy for chancing it, especially if the risk of financial loss is low due to the discount. Age? Overall health? Flexibility to change ports, etc? Proximity to home port? All need to be factored in.  Good luck and safe travels if you decide to go.

52 minutes ago, mjcatlvr said:

Yes, I agree. We will decide later this week then book last minute. Highly unlikely that prices would go up.

I believe the same thing.  The Escape for the week of the 15th is our top choice and if follows the trend of the week of the 7th it will be an insane price.

Well the virus is new, so information is fluid plus the  media hysteria aint helping. (Dont know of any situation in which causing panic is a good thing but what do I know)  I have read  opinions by some medical professionals stating that they believe over 50 percent of us will get the virus.  It appears that if you are a healthy person once you get the virus it will be similar to a cold or flu, if you are not healthy complications could lead to death (just like the flu which kills tens of thousands annually).  When the virus first  broke I was looking at asia cruises because they were so cheap, then the flights started to cancel so there went that idea. (we did a last minute cheap 7 day new orleans round trip on royal instead) now there are great deals all over and I am scrambling to adjust my work schedule to take advantage of them.  The only cruises I am concerned to book are those that dont have the united states as an ending  disembarkation port because I dont want to be stuck in a foreign country if flights are cancelled due to government involvement or lack of demand.  Enjoy

Edited by Newleno

40 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Well the virus is new, so information is fluid plus the  media hysteria aint helping. (Dont know of any situation in which causing panic is a good thing but what do I know)  I have read  opinions by some medical professionals stating that they believe over 50 percent of us will get the virus.  It appears that if you are a healthy person once you get the virus it will be similar to a cold or flu, if you are not healthy complications could lead to death (just like the flu which kills tens of thousands annually).  When the virus first  broke I was looking at asia cruises because they were so cheap, then the flights started to cancel so there went that idea. (we did a last minute cheap 7 day new orleans round trip on royal instead) now there are great deals all over and I am scrambling to adjust my work schedule to take advantage of them.  The only cruises I am concerned to book are those that dont have the united states as an ending  disembarkation port because I dont want to be stuck in a foreign country if flights are cancelled due to government involvement or lack of demand.  Enjoy

In full agreement with everything, especially your final comment. We talked about this also, we want to cruise out of and into a port in the USA. Happy and safe cruising to you! 😊

I wish I could. We actually planned to do no vacations this year for work and financial issues. I would love to take advantage of these crazy low prices right now; but out work and financial situation hasn't changed so virus aside. it's not the cards for us. But jealous of anyone who can, definitely would if other things in life cooperated.

On 2/28/2020 at 4:01 PM, mjcatlvr said:

The Hubs and I talked about it last night and came to the conclusion that we would probably be safest on an NCL Caribbean cruise vacation than anywhere else in the world. We had planned on flying to Amsterdam mid March but feel like we would have much more exposure to this virus and would prefer to not be quarantined in a foreign country if we caught the Coronavirus.

We always make an effort to not let unrest, strikes, etc get in the way of our travels but should we avoid the possibility here? 

Worst case scenario is that we catch it. I have had the Flu and I have had Pneumonia (not fun at all, either of them) and from what I read, the symptoms fall somewhere in between. I read last night that possibly 75% of us will catch this at some point before it is "said and done", so why not enjoy a vacation while still healthy?

Are we crazy? Set us straight if needed or why not book a great trip with us for a great price???

We have one coming up in April  for 21 days. Only you can answer that question. Have fun.

On 2/28/2020 at 4:01 PM, mjcatlvr said:

Are we crazy? Set us straight if needed or why not book a great trip with us for a great price???

I don't think you are crazy. But what you can't control is what happens with local governments or the cruiselines/airlines. With that said, if the price is right, use the cost savings to buy really good CFAR travel insurance. This way, if the unexpected happens, you have good coverage to fall back on.