Prices are WAY DOWN for March cruising, are we crazy to chance it?

mjcatlvr

The Hubs and I talked about it last night and came to the conclusion that we would probably be safest on an NCL Caribbean cruise vacation than anywhere else in the world. We had planned on flying to Amsterdam mid March but feel like we would have much more exposure to this virus and would prefer to not be quarantined in a foreign country if we caught the Coronavirus.

We always make an effort to not let unrest, strikes, etc get in the way of our travels but should we avoid the possibility here? 

Worst case scenario is that we catch it. I have had the Flu and I have had Pneumonia (not fun at all, either of them) and from what I read, the symptoms fall somewhere in between. I read last night that possibly 75% of us will catch this at some point before it is "said and done", so why not enjoy a vacation while still healthy?

Are we crazy? Set us straight if needed or why not book a great trip with us for a great price???

Totally OK to cruise in general, we just got off a 2/1-2/8 Western Caribbean cruse.  Go and enjoy it.  You can just as easily get it in WalMart in your home town as you can in the Caribbean at this point in time.  Now, if you said you wanted to fly to Northern Italy or China, that would be a different conversation.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

You’r not crazy, everyone else is. I’d go ......

13 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Don't buy in to the hysteria.  A Caribbean itinerary is extremely low risk.  You have a better chance of getting sick from something like the regular annual flu.

Yes I agree, Folks are getting into "Panic Mode" right now and I think it is unnecessary. I just got back from Trader Joes where clearly everyone was stocking up for the month... never seen lines that long!!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mjcatlvr said:

The Hubs and I talked about it last night and came to the conclusion that we would probably be safest on an NCL Caribbean cruise vacation than anywhere else in the world. We had planned on flying to Amsterdam mid March but feel like we would have much more exposure to this virus and would prefer to not be quarantined in a foreign country if we caught the Coronavirus.

We always make an effort to not let unrest, strikes, etc get in the way of our travels but should we avoid the possibility here? 

Worst case scenario is that we catch it. I have had the Flu and I have had Pneumonia (not fun at all, either of them) and from what I read, the symptoms fall somewhere in between. I read last night that

Are we crazy? Set us straight if needed or why not book a great trip with us for a great price???

Do not buy into the MEDIA hype of this virus! Where on earth did you read that possibly 75% of us will catch this at some point before it is "said and done", ?? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Montanagirlalways said:

just don't count on getting into the ports. That's another unknown. But I bet there are a lot of people on cruises as we speak! So enjoy

Ha! Best part is that we rarely even get off the ship these days as we have seen most ports multiple times. We just love the view from our balcony and the music venues the best. So no need to get off.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjcatlvr said:

Ha! Best part is that we rarely even get off the ship these days as we have seen most ports multiple times. We just love the view from our balcony and the music venues the best. So no need to get off.

I completely understand that!!! But it also depends on the port. Get a great deal and go for it!

• Like 1

Not changing my plans - and if I didn't already have upcoming cruises, I'd be looking to book something on the cheap!  Just recognize that you might not go ashore or your itinerary might change, so as long as you don't have your heart set on a particular port or excursion, I wouldn't worry.  But I am retired, so if perchance I got stuck somewhere, it's an inconvenience, not a disaster.  My only concession to the current state of affairs is that I will pack double the amount of medication I usually take, wipes for the plane, and leave extra food/supplies for my animals that are at home.  Plus upgraded to a balcony (which I usually do anyway) so if there is a quarantine or missed ports, I'm good!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, owlgirl31 said:

Do not buy into the MEDIA hype of this virus! Where on earth did you read that possibly 75% of us will catch this at some point before it is "said and done", ?? 

I was just about to ask the very same thing!

We embark on Escape tomorrow.  If we miss a port, not a big deal.  My brother and his fam returned from a cruise on Saturday, also in the Caribbean...no issues.  Each cruise will be unique so there's no way to guarantee anything.  If the price is right and you can go, as you said, why not?

Back to the 75% stat...that, I have to believe is just part of the media hype and hysteria. 

• Like 2

If you're crazy then so are we, my wife and I booked last minute on Getaway departing NOLA on March 1st. Got a great price on an inside stateroom, it was all that was left at the time, ended up getting upgraded to midship balcony today through the Upgrade Advantage program.

• Like 4

I have cancelled a Panama Transit in May.  Yes the Caribean and central America maybe low risk....AT PRESENT.  This Virus is spreading fast and everywhere. I just felt I would be worrying rather than fully enjoying the cruise.

There is only one answer to your question and that is your own risk assessment. In my case being 75 added to my concern and I felt happiest to cancel and quite possibly book again next year. The decision has to be YOURS not anyone else's  but look at the facts and think.

Good luck and enjoy it if you go, put the money aside for next year if you decide not to

• Like 2

17 hours ago, owlgirl31 said:

I believe that was a CDC quote, that between 40% and 80% of us will get the coronavirus before all is said and done. It's going to community spread now, as there are 3 folks on the west coast that have it but they can't pinpoint who they got it from.

We leave in 2 weeks. I'm watching things carefully as I'm in a demographic that is more likely to have a serious case of it, if I get it. Long Island is isolating 83 to 224 potential cases, right now. We leave from Manhattan terminal, so I want to keep checking on that. That seems like a big number but then again it's among 8 million people in NYC,  so it really is a very small number - and they aren't even confirmed cases, right now.

We'll make our decision just a day or two before we'd leave.

Edited by Snowrose
  • Like 2

It is all about adequate planning. Plan to potentially be away from home and in quarantine for two weeks to a month or more. If you are over 50 or have illnesses like heart disease or diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, COPD, etc make sure your Will is filed, and someone is checking your mail, and watering your plants. Don't leave your cat home alone thinking you will just be gone for a few days. Dogs in a kennel? Can you afford to pay for a month. Will you have bills arriving during the month that need to be paid? Make sure your boss is good with you being away for an extended period of time. If you are over 70 years, begin praising your lord and savior, and take comfort for having lived a good life, and roll those dice. Just roll them! Oh, and you probably don't want an inside cabin.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

It is all about adequate planning. Plan to potentially be away from home and in quarantine for two weeks to a month or more. If you are over 50 or have illnesses like heart disease or diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, COPD, etc make sure your Will is filed, and someone is checking your mail, and watering your plants. Don't leave your cat home alone thinking you will just be gone for a few days. Dogs in a kennel? Can you afford to pay for a month. Will you have bills arriving during the month that need to be paid? Make sure your boss is good with you being away for an extended period of time. If you are over 70 years, begin praising your lord and savior, and take comfort for having lived a good life, and roll those dice. Just roll them! Oh, and you probably don't want an inside cabin.

Bills on autopay, income direct deposit - check

Mail on hold - check

extra food/water for the cats - check

plants on autowater - check

extra prescription meds - check

balcony - check

trip interruption/medical insurance - check (NCL essentials not a bad choice if you need on-board medical)

job - retired, so check

hand sanitizer, wipes packed- check

lawn mowing - who cares, what I can't see won't hurt me, so check

I think I'm good to go - 3 weeks and counting!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Mail on hold - check

balcony - check

trip interruption/medical insurance - check (NCL essentials not a bad choice if you need on-board medical)

job - retired, so check

-Older people with underlying conditions are more likely to get sick. “If you’re over 60 years old or if you have an underlying condition like cardiovascular disease, a respiratory condition … you have a high risk of developing diseases. You may wish to take extra precautions to avoid crowded areas or places where you might interact with people who are sick.” Director General of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

Good luck.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

-Older people with underlying conditions are more likely to get sick. “If you’re over 60 years old or if you have an underlying condition like cardiovascular disease, a respiratory condition … you have a high risk of developing diseases. You may wish to take extra precautions to avoid crowded areas or places where you might interact with people who are sick.” Director General of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

Good luck.

Last time I caught the flu was swine flu in summer 2009 - and that episode kick-started my immune system which now goes into overdrive at any sign of an issue.  While that causes other problems, I'm not overly concerned about catching something now, any more than I've been concerned about catching the flu or a cold or norovirus on any other cruise or vacation.  So taking my chances unless things change drastically in the next few week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Mail on hold - check

balcony - check

job - retired, so check

Love it!!!  Enjoy!

Oh, dont forget to take enough Tums or Pepto. I almost ran out on the last cruise, lol. I got carried away a few weeks ago. 🤣

At this point I would say do it.  I feel more comfortable embarking/disembarking from a US port than a foreign port.  Just be flexible that ports may be canceled and hope no one on the ship shows signs. If I could go on a Caribbean cruise in the next couple weeks, I would probably roll the dice and go, knowing there is risk.  Beyond that, I wouldn’t do it.

On 2/28/2020 at 4:23 PM, owlgirl31 said:

On 2/29/2020 at 9:56 AM, Snowrose said:

I believe that was a CDC quote, that between 40% and 80% of us will get the coronavirus before all is said and done. It's going to community spread now, as there are 3 folks on the west coast that have it but they can't pinpoint who they got it from.

We leave in 2 weeks. I'm watching things carefully as I'm in a demographic that is more likely to have a serious case of it, if I get it. Long Island is isolating 83 to 224 potential cases, right now. We leave from Manhattan terminal, so I want to keep checking on that. That seems like a big number but then again it's among 8 million people in NYC,  so it really is a very small number - and they aren't even confirmed cases, right now.

We'll make our decision just a day or two before we'd leave.

Hello, Yes, It was a quote by a CDC Representative. The point that he was trying to make is that so many of us will catch this virus and won't even realize it! A majority of folks coming down with this have had mild cases and I read that children who usually don't do well with the Flu are seeing super mild symptoms. Smokers and folks with compromised immune systems are having the real troubles.

We have decided to see what happens this week and jump on a 03/15 cruise last minute if all looks OK.

On 2/28/2020 at 4:46 PM, julig22 said:

Not changing my plans - and if I didn't already have upcoming cruises, I'd be looking to book something on the cheap!  Just recognize that you might not go ashore or your itinerary might change, so as long as you don't have your heart set on a particular port or excursion, I wouldn't worry.  But I am retired, so if perchance I got stuck somewhere, it's an inconvenience, not a disaster.  My only concession to the current state of affairs is that I will pack double the amount of medication I usually take, wipes for the plane, and leave extra food/supplies for my animals that are at home.  Plus upgraded to a balcony (which I usually do anyway) so if there is a quarantine or missed ports, I'm good!

I agree with everything here. While we aren't retired yet, this is slow season for us, so no big deal, not a disaster if there are any delays etc. Always a cabin with a balcony because I just love to relax and enjoy the sea view.

On 2/28/2020 at 5:57 PM, Docb225 said:

If you're crazy then so are we, my wife and I booked last minute on Getaway departing NOLA on March 1st. Got a great price on an inside stateroom, it was all that was left at the time, ended up getting upgraded to midship balcony today through the Upgrade Advantage program.

Bon Voyage! Enjoy your cruise 😁