Almaplena

CJDepew

Thought I'd do a quick review since there's not a ton of info about this hidden gem. We've been to Maya Chan as well, and I have to say their drink service is much better, but I do like Almaplena's beach much more. 

We had to walk through the port and go a few blocks to grab a taxi, which is included in the cost. Our driver was great and got us there in approximately twenty minutes. The van was comfortable and the air conditioning worked really well. We were welcomed upon arrival and given a tour of the facility, which was very clean. Lunch was provided, and consisted of guac and chips, nachos with cheese and fresh salsa, and then both shrimp and beef tacos. We'd also inquired about massages and Monica made arrangements for beach massages for both my husband and myself.

They have a small pool there as well, and we took advantage of both the beach and the pool. The sargassum was not bad at all.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending Almaplena for a quiet beach getaway.

DSCN1368.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

DSCN1365.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CJDepew said:

Thought I'd do a quick review since there's not a ton of info about this hidden gem. We've been to Maya Chan as well, and I have to say their drink service is much better, but I do like Almaplena's beach much more. 

We had to walk through the port and go a few blocks to grab a taxi, which is included in the cost. Our driver was great and got us there in approximately twenty minutes. The van was comfortable and the air conditioning worked really well. We were welcomed upon arrival and given a tour of the facility, which was very clean. Lunch was provided, and consisted of guac and chips, nachos with cheese and fresh salsa, and then both shrimp and beef tacos. We'd also inquired about massages and Monica made arrangements for beach massages for both my husband and myself.

They have a small pool there as well, and we took advantage of both the beach and the pool. The sargassum was not bad at all.

DSCN1368.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

DSCN1365.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

Thanks for photos and review. Always looking for somewhere new.

• Like 1

We loved it when we went there years ago before anyone really knew about it. Monica and her family were so nice and they had just had a baby. The palms were very small and not much shade but the beach was gorgeous and you could tell it was going to be so beautiful in the years to come when everything matured.

Well looks like I was right...it's even more beautiful now!

But wait...they added a pool? This is the first I have heard about this. Where is it located? It looks long and skinny? I would love to go back there again and hopefully some day we will.

PC170025-M.jpg

PC170053-L.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly
  • Like 1

Oh, wow, the difference is amazing! The pool is right in front of the deck, slightly to the right. It's long and skinny, and was very clean.

If I remember correctly your photos showed  small drop-off to the beach. That is gone as well. 

IMG_1184.JPG

13 hours ago, CJDepew said:

Oh, wow, the difference is amazing! The pool is right in front of the deck, slightly to the right. It's long and skinny, and was very clean.

If I remember correctly your photos showed  small drop-off to the beach. That is gone as well. 

IMG_1184.JPG

So wait, this is a picture taken by the deck where you eat at the building you check in at? Like wow those palms!!! That's amazing. I definitely want to go back now! It looks so beautiful. I'm just so amazed at what 7 years can do to a place.

Yes, there was somewhat of a drop off before making it to the water when we were there. Glad to hear it's not there anymore.

That photo was taken from the deck, when we were waiting for our ride. I should have specified in my first post about the pool, it's on the right side of the deck, if your back is to the ocean. It sure does appear that seven years makes a huge difference. 

It may be a few years, since we have 2021 booked already and only do one cruise per year, but I can't wait to return there.

Thanks for posting - the water looks so much nicer than Maya Chan, which is positively nasty.

I like to swim when I am at the beach, so, as wonderful as their service is, I'll never go back there. 

But, shhhh. 😉

I cringe at the "I found a wonderful quiet beach" posts I read on here. 

Once the ship crowds find it, it will no longer be wonderful or quiet.

I've seen this happen to so many places in the islands over the years. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Thanks for posting - the water looks so much nicer than Maya Chan, which is positively nasty.

I like to swim when I am at the beach, so, as wonderful as their service is, I'll never go back there. 

But, shhhh. 😉

Almaplena has been there many years. Distance from the port puts many cruisers off.I dont know uf they still do but they used to take a different route than the one to Maya Chan.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Almaplena has been there many years. Distance from the port puts many cruisers off.I dont know uf they still do but they used to take a different route than the one to Maya Chan.

The driver did take a different route, but the road was actually much better. It was no more than twenty minutes. 

Maya Chan's service is fantastic for sure, but that water reminded me of the Monongahela River (Pittsburgh native here). Yuck!

3 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

But, shhhh. 😉

I one of the many few on these boards that agree with the water at Maya Chan and that was always a put off for me. When I go to the Caribbean, I want beautiful crystal clear blue water, not the dark brownish water. The service, food and people at Maya Chan is terrific, but that doesn't change the fact that I go to places to swim and see the beauty of the ocean. 

As far as the ship crowds finding the quiet wonderful beaches (which is true), Almaplena will not be one of them for the fact that they limit their cruise guests there (same as Maya Chan) but it was something very very small like 10 people or something (which could have increased since I was there). 

3 hours ago, CJDepew said:

The driver did take a different route, but the road was actually much better. It was no more than twenty minutes. 

Maya Chan's service is fantastic for sure, but that water reminded me of the Monongahela River (Pittsburgh native here). Yuck!

Yes they take the highway before they cut back to the coast. Almaplena is south of Maya Chan.

I am still waiting to try Hayhu which takes the sAme route but is even a little further but transport to that one concerns me unless I have long port hours.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, twtudor said:

Are the little palapa all the shade there is? No umbrellas or covers?

There are beds with cover and palapas over chairs. Add in the palm trees and it's plenty shady. You have to move forward and get on the beach to get sun.  I've had melanoma in the past and shade is always a big concern for me. I had no worries there whatsoever.

57 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

I one of the many few on these boards that agree with the water at Maya Chan and that was always a put off for me. When I go to the Caribbean, I want beautiful crystal clear blue water, not the dark brownish water. The service, food and people at Maya Chan is terrific, but that doesn't change the fact that I go to places to swim and see the beauty of the ocean. 

As far as the ship crowds finding the quiet wonderful beaches (which is true), Almaplena will not be one of them for the fact that they limit their cruise guests there (same as Maya Chan) but it was something very very small like 10 people or something (which could have increased since I was there). 

My guess is that there were twenty five people there. Still plenty of room for everyone to spread out.

32 minutes ago, CJDepew said:

My guess is that there were twenty five people there. Still plenty of room for everyone to spread out.

But part of those 25 people there are also people staying there on vacation. I know they only have 8 eco rooms so if anyone was there, that would be included in those 25 people. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/29/2020 at 6:33 PM, CJDepew said:

@CJDepew, I've been researching Maya Chan for a cruise we're going on in November, but someone mentioned Almaplena in another post, so I started doing some research and found your little CC review.

As someone who has been to both Maya Chan and Almaplena, which would you recommend for a first time visitor to Costa Maya?  Maya Chan food, drink and customer service all sound amazing and most people speak so highly of it.  But I admit that the whole seagrass issue has been niggling at me and none of the pics of the water look terribly appealing (which, from what I understand, is directly related to the seagrass that grows thick in that specific area). As someone who likes hanging out in the water as much, or more, than I love hanging out on a lounger, this is an important point to me.  Is it worth giving up the better drink service and water toy access that Maya Chan offers for the nicer beach at Almaplena?

I feel like your post already answers my question, but it also sounds like you booked Almaplena because Maya Chan was sold out, so I'm wondering which you would go with if given a proper choice. 

It's just going to be my husband and myself, and while we've cruised many times, we usually do more active excursions.  Having said that, we did a day at a beach club with friends in Barbados on our last cruise and had an absolute blast, so now we're starting to explore doing more chill excursions that still get us off the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Almaplena is further south than Maya Cahn and thus could get less of the seaweed.  But it is an eco-resort and only takes a few guests.  Roads aren't exactly smooth riding.  Taxi cost might eat away any difference in prices now, although I haven't checked what the price difference is. 

IMO, book Maya Chan and look at Almaplena as a backup.

• 5 months later...

I was here 3 years ago when Maya Chan was booked. I took a risk as not many reviews at the time.

It was super relaxing even with out 7-2 port time.. we didn't get off ship til 9!! A death defyingly fast taxi driver (covered in our fee) had us there in 40 minutes. 

I think we might have broken them when they realized Wisconsin people are day drinking champions. The guy made me fresh coconut and banana cocktails and I lounged on a daybed while my friend used a tube and floated way way out in the calm and clear beach. (No pool then)

The fresh food was so filling.. and then it was time to go. 

On 3/2/2020 at 9:56 AM, CJDepew said:

Hello fellow Pittsburgher.  I might just try this out.