Ports closed to cruise ships in the Middle East

baytraller

Are the ports of Doha and Mina Salman now closed to all cruise ships

Today 4th March, both the Jewel of the Seas and Costa Diadema are scheduled to be docked in Doha

The Costa Diadema is docked in Abu Dhabi and the Jewel of the Seas is at sea between Doha and Dubai

Also The MSC Bellissima and Aida Prima are scheduled to be docked at Mina Salman

The MSC Bellissima is at sea and the Aida Prima is docked in Abu Dhabi

We are booked on the Azamara Quest on the 17th March for 11 nights Dubai to Dubai

Both these ports are on our schedule

Its about time Azamara updated guests regarding docking facilities being refused at ports on this cruise

Hi Peter. This must be very recent (like in the last day) as it's not on the list that Cruise Critic are providing. Sri Lanka appeared yesterday. I saw on the BBC website that there was an unofficial protest on Reunion for a Princess ship arriving there. This will get worse before it gets better unfortunately. I'm sure there are some big decisions that will need to be made soon. Good luck on whatever happens for this ever changing event. 

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5097/

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, baytraller said:

Are the ports of Doha and Mina Salman now closed to all cruise ships

Today 4th March, both the Jewel of the Seas and Costa Diadema are scheduled to be docked in Doha

The Costa Diadema is docked in Abu Dhabi and the Jewel of the Seas is at sea between Doha and Dubai

Also The MSC Bellissima and Aida Prima are scheduled to be docked at Mina Salman

The MSC Bellissima is at sea and the Aida Prima is docked in Abu Dhabi

We are booked on the Azamara Quest on the 17th March for 11 nights Dubai to Dubai

Both these ports are on our schedule

Its about time Azamara updated guests regarding docking facilities being refused at ports on this cruise

Hi Peter  – are you asking if they are closed? Or have you heard they are closed?

• Like 1

Hi Phil,

Peter has closed his computer for the evening and I am not far behind.

His post reflects his monitoring of the movement of the ships mentioned throughout the course of today.

I have used the site in your link several times over the past few weeks, including earlier today. You are right, it does not reflect what he has seen evolve today. Maybe it will tomorrow . . . . 🤔

We have been using Cruisemapper, an excellent site showing where ships should be and where they actually are. Currently in the Middle East some ships that should be docked according to their schedules at the ports Peter mentioned are going around in circles, while others have been lucky enough to find berths at alternative ports. Of the ports on our 17 March cruise on Quest, at this stage it appears Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Muscat are o.k., while Doha and Bahrain are not. Clicking on the Anchor symbol of any port will bring up the daily schedule for that port.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9210218

Quest is at the moment en route for Colombo, where it has been confirmed by cruisers on board it will be allowed to refuel, but nobody will be allowed off the ship.

As we well know by now, the situation remains fluid. This next week will doubtless be interesting!

Thanks for your good luck wishes. The same to you for Taiwan! 😊

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Adam Coulter said:

Hi Peter  – are you asking if they are closed? Or have you heard they are closed?

Hi Adam  -  please see my response above to Phil. In the process of composition when you posted.

Peter's post began :

Are the ports of Doha and Mina Salman now closed to all cruise ships?

It appeared they were closed from his observations throughout the day.

Edited by Baynanno1

Just now, Baynanno1 said:

Hi Adam  -  please see my response above to Phil. In the process of composition when you posted.

Many thanks much appreciated. We are trying to keep tabs on everything happening, but as you say, it changes daily,

Best wishes

• Like 1

Constellation has had its call to Sri Lanka cancelled for its current cruise . This cruise was already changed to round trip Dubai (not Dubai-Singapore). They are now getting an extra day in Abu Dhabi instead as Columbo has closed to all cruised. 
My thinking it’s not Azamara that’s monitoring this, it will be being handled across the group at one point with change instructions disseminated once made. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 3

Have just noticed the following information on the CruiseCritic "Ports Closed to Cruise Ships"

Doha: Qatar's capital, Doha, has closed its port to cruise ships until further notice.

Still looks as though Bahrain has also been closed

Also  Israel: Quarantine Ordered for Arrivals From Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland, and Austria

The list of countries above will surely grow and affect the next 3 cruises on the Quest

17th March - Qatar and Bahrain

28th March and 14th April - Israel

What will be the next country to impose restrictions?

Still no information from Azamara regarding the 17th March cruise

Azamara is still allowing guests to book these cruises with the 17th March itinerary clearly no longer correct

Azamara should follow the lead of other cruise lines and allow guest to cancel with no penalties

Peter

• Like 4

Still no information from Azamara regarding the 17th March cruise out of Dubai - Come on Azamara, remember that repeat customers are the life blood of all cruise lines, treat us bad now and you will not see us again.

18 minutes ago, nigelc said:

Still no information from Azamara regarding the 17th March cruise out of Dubai - Come on Azamara, remember that repeat customers are the life blood of all cruise lines, treat us bad now and you will not see us again.

Updated Travel Advisory :

https://www.azamara.com/en-au/travel-advisory

Among other things states "Please note that there are no voyage changes required at this time."

But the port of Doha is closed to cruise ships, so we will not be able to visit that port on our itinerary! Although the port of Bahrain is not officially closed to cruise ships, as has been noted above, ships were denied port facilities a couple of days ago.

13 minutes ago, nigelc said:

Totally agree, we are on the same cruise and we are in complete accord with your feelings. As of now I feel this may be our last Azamara cruise, I have lost confidence in them in their handling of this situation. We have loved our cruises on Azamara since 2009, but a company stands or falls in the way it deals with problems! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I heard that Royal's Jewel of the Seas was denied docking in Muscat last week but Celebrity was there this week. I'm wondering if maybe ports are being selective? Perhaps MSC was denied Bahrain because it is based out of Italy? Maybe it's the bigger ships they are concerned about. We are on the Quest the 17th as well. They just changed their policy to include heat scanning on ALL passengers. Maybe that will make a difference to the ports of call. Called Azamara and they said no changes to itinerary. Silversea is also in Qatar and Bahrain on the same dates and no changes there either. Interesting.....and stressful!

Edited by lparent71

6 hours ago, lparent71 said:

I heard that Royal's Jewel of the Seas was denied docking in Muscat last week but Celebrity was there this week. I'm wondering if maybe ports are being selective? Perhaps MSC was denied Bahrain because it is based out of Italy? Maybe it's the bigger ships they are concerned about. We are on the Quest the 17th as well. They just changed their policy to include heat scanning on ALL passengers. Maybe that will make a difference to the ports of call. Called Azamara and they said no changes to itinerary. Silversea is also in Qatar and Bahrain on the same dates and no changes there either. Interesting.....and stressful!

Indeed stressful.

The port of Doha on our itinerary IS closed to cruise ships :

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/5097/

Finally got an e-mail response from Azamara regarding our 17th March 2020 cruise - despite reports of at least two ports not accepting cruise ships, it looks like the itinerary remains the same. 

Dear Dr. Chambers,

Thank you for contacting Azamara. We are deeply sorry for the delay in our reply and hope this email finds you in good health.

At the time of this correspondence we have not modified the itinerary for the Azamara Quest voyage that departs on March 17, 2020. However, we are in constant communications with your travel agency and are updating azamara.com with our policies. Should you have any lingering questions we are happy to help at 0344-493-4016.

Dr. Chambers, once again you have our warmest gratitude for choosing Azamara. Your understanding and patience during this unique and ever-changing situation is very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxx (staff members name removed by poster)
Azamara Circle loyalty program
Wichita, Kansas Sales and Service Center

19 minutes ago, nigelc said:

Finally got an e-mail response from Azamara regarding our 17th March 2020 cruise - despite reports of at least two ports not accepting cruise ships, it looks like the itinerary remains the same. 

Dear Dr. Chambers,

Thank you for contacting Azamara. We are deeply sorry for the delay in our reply and hope this email finds you in good health.

At the time of this correspondence we have not modified the itinerary for the Azamara Quest voyage that departs on March 17, 2020. However, we are in constant communications with your travel agency and are updating azamara.com with our policies. Should you have any lingering questions we are happy to help at 0344-493-4016.

Dr. Chambers, once again you have our warmest gratitude for choosing Azamara. Your understanding and patience during this unique and ever-changing situation is very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxx (staff members name removed by poster)
Azamara Circle loyalty program
Wichita, Kansas Sales and Service Center

I really do not know what to make of this! It is clear that Doha is not accepting any cruise ships, this has been confirmed today by someone who is actually staying there. There are various reports that Bahrain and Oman are similarly refusing certain ships. Azamara either know something we don’t know or they are deliberately misleading us! This cruise is not looking like the relaxing, recharge of batteries cruise we booked., that we so desperately need!

8 minutes ago, Lindy028 said:

I really do not know what to make of this! It is clear that Doha is not accepting any cruise ships, this has been confirmed today by someone who is actually staying there. There are various reports that Bahrain and Oman are similarly refusing certain ships. Azamara either know something we don’t know or they are deliberately misleading us! This cruise is not looking like the relaxing, recharge of batteries cruise we booked., that we so desperately need!

Stress levels are definitely high, but unless something changes over the next few days we will be heading to Heathrow ready to fly to Dubai this time next week. If Azamara do not know something we don't, then this could be a cruise to no where.

Edited by nigelc
spelling mistake

My biggest fear is that they are just going to cancel the ports once onboard and add sea days instead. I would rather dock in Abu Dhabi or Dubai for the extra days. I would hope there would be some kind of compensation if ports are cancelled and not replaced with other port days. I will be inquiring with my TA about the policies for that.

Well considering that the issue of closed ports has been raised with them by so many people before the cruise date, they can hardly argue that they were not aware of the issue. Given this, we will, like many others, now be travelling in good faith and reliance on the fact that they know what they are doing and have contacted the relevant ports to confirm availability. If this turns out to be a cruise consisting of mainly sea days, then I for one would expect compensation. 

2 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I have a friend on Constellation going back to Dubai who reports UAE have just announced they will not accept cruise ships. Cruise cancelled and she needs to fly home from Mumbai where they arrived just before they closed the Indian ports. 

Phil 

Guess we won’t be flying to Dubai next Saturday then, our neighbours are on MSC Lirica and not getting too much information onboard they are due to fly home on Saturday from Dubai will see how that one works out.

As I said on elsewhere cruise ships have become a soft target for governments trying to prove they are doing something.

• Like 1