Ports closed to cruise ships in the Middle East

baytraller

6 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

There has been an addition to the Ports Closed to Cruise Ships in the past 24 hours :

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/5097/

I wonder when Azamara will let us know that we are no longer able to call at Abu Dhabi and Dubai, let alone embark at Dubai??

At this late stage, hopefully the sooner the better, but I’m not holding my breath! We will get in touch with our TA first thing in the morning!

I am skeptical about the info from Celebrity because their sailings are cancelled due to India not allowing ships regardless of the UAE situation. Even though they said UAE is closed how come we aren't hearing from the Royal passengers who have arrived in Dubai and are waiting to embark there tomorrow. Hopefully someone from the March 9th sailing can confirm this? 

1 minute ago, lparent71 said:

I am skeptical about the info from Celebrity because their sailings are cancelled due to India not allowing ships regardless of the UAE situation. Even though they said UAE is closed how come we aren't hearing from the Royal passengers who have arrived in Dubai and are waiting to embark there tomorrow. Hopefully someone from the March 9th sailing can confirm this? 

For info. UAE has shut down to cruise traffic for now. Maybe the ships were already there?  Don't know. 

Phil 

F7B17530-0951-4BAC-99B7-FE8341E0E85D.jpeg

2 minutes ago, lparent71 said:

We have heard from at least 2 passengers on the Celebrity ship that they are terminating the cruise in Mumbai rather than going to UAE as was planned, due to the UAE closing ports to cruise ships. I have no idea what will happen re passengers in Dubai waiting to embark tomorrow. This is a very fluid situation and things are changing all the time. It is safe to say that as Azamara Quest is not currently in Dubai any cruise ship embargo will impact that ship! 

Phil, and Iparent71 on cruise mapper there have been 7 or 8 ships docked in Dubai over the past few days.

A few of those were due to be there and there were a few arrivals and departures.

Several that should (according to itineraries) have been in Asian ports have not moved for many days.

Edited by Baynanno1

Jewel of the Seas is currently docked in Dubai so there theoretically would have no problems embarking passengers, problem would be what  happens at the end of the cruise as it’s a 7 day round trip Dubai.

• Like 1

We're also on Quest's 3/17 cruise r/t Dubai. It appears UAE has closed it ports to cruise ships, also Qatar. And I've read Oman and Bahrain also. Those are ALL our port calls! Looks like this cruise is toast!! Called Azamara, but they're closed today (Sunday). Hope to hear something from them tomorrow; will also call them and my TA tomorrow. We're due to fly to Dubai on Thursday.

We're also on the next cruise, 3/28 Dubai to Athens. If the ship cannot dock in Dubai or Oman, then where? Also read Israel is closed to cruise ships (one of our port calls). That cruise looks real iffy, too.

Gary

Currently on the Quest. Captain Magnus just finished his noontime address and did not make any mention of UAE port closures. He said he had been working on contingency plans all morning.

At this time by the time we get to Dubai if we have no other stops we would have gone through a 14 day quarantine period.

Edited by Chilcotin

I’m getting really sick and tired of the games Azamara are playing at the moment.

This cruise should be cancelled and money returned to us all.

They must know that Dubai is now closed to cruise ships, and what other ports will be closed over the next couple of weeks.

If the cruise goes ahead, embarking from another unknown port it might be a trip on the ship with no port stops to Athens. 

What a waste of time and money that will be.

😡😡

• Like 1

Even though Celebrity are saying Abu Dhabi and Dubai are closed two ships docked in Abu Dhabi this morning, I realise this is a dynamic situation but we need clarity there are too many risks now. Ignoring Covid-19 itself, if we fly to Dubai will Quest be able to dock? If we board will any ports on the itinerary be open? Most important of all will we be able to disembark at the end of the cruise? All these are questions we need Azamara to advise on they will have much more information than us.

• Like 2

Trying to get any information from anyone with regards to this, is nigh on impossible. We have attempted all morning to get through to our TA, but we have been cut off twice and it takes forever to actually get through! Hopefully we will get some clarity from Azamara later today, although on past experience I will not hold my breath! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lparent71 said:

Azamara opens in 1 hour and my TA will be calling them right away. Will post what I find out. Jewel boarded in Dubai today without issue.

We finally got through to our TA, she confirmed that they were informed about 4:30pm yesterday that UAE had closed its ports to ships that were coming from outside UAE waters! That would mean Quest, which is currently in the India Ocean would not be allowed to dock at any UAE port. She too will be getting in touch with Azamara ASAP.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lindy028 said:

We finally got through to our TA, she confirmed that they were informed about 4:30pm yesterday that UAE had closed its ports to ships that were coming from outside UAE waters! That would mean Quest, which is currently in the India Ocean would not be allowed to dock at any UAE port. She too will be getting in touch with Azamara ASAP.

I'm wondering if there will be an exception for the Quest since a passenger posted this morning that by the time they reach UAE they will have essentially been quarantined for 14 days.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lparent71 said:

I'm wondering if there will be an exception for the Quest since a passenger posted this morning that by the time they reach UAE they will have essentially been quarantined for 14 days.

I understand they are heading for Muscat to see if they can make it there.  From there, who knows?  

Phil 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I understand they are heading for Muscat to see if they can make it there.  From there, who knows?  

Phil 

Well I for one don't want to cruise out of Muscat and skip all UAE ports. Hopefully Azamara will have some answers and a refund (not FCC) if that is the case.

• Like 1

In view of the problems trying to get through on the phone, I just emailed our TA. I got an automated response saying that due to a higher than normal volume of enquiries, it may take up to 7 days to respond!!!  

Good job were not leaving till 26th!  

Emailed Azamara yesterday and got a reply this morning that currently there are no changes to Quests 17th March itinerary. Maybe things will change when the Miami office opens, will not be happy if we’re strung along until the last minute.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cinnamon said:

In view of the problems trying to get through on the phone, I just emailed our TA. I got an automated response saying that due to a higher than normal volume of enquiries, it may take up to 7 days to respond!!!  

Good job were not leaving till 26th!  

We too have had problems getting through, although we did manage eventually. We are due to leave this Sunday, although I know others on our cruise leave well before then. If, as Excitedofharpenden says, they are heading to Muscat, that will mean a 5 hour or so drive from Dubai, if we are to board there! Where we go from there is anybody’s guess, it could be a magical mystery tour to nowhere in particular! Hopefully we will all get some information shortly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Emailed Azamara yesterday and got a reply this morning that currently there are no changes to Quests 17th March itinerary. Maybe things will change when the Miami office opens, will not be happy if we’re strung along until the last minute.

I called as soon as they opened and just got off the phone. No changes that they are aware of. I explained that we'd heard from someone on the ship and from a TA that the UAE was closed to ships coming from outside their waters and she double checked. No changes they know of.

3 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Totally agree, they simply appear to be burying their heads in the sand. Their communication has been at best sketchy and at worst appalling!

• Like 1

They are apparently due in Muscat on 13th, I presume they will try and hold off saying anything until they see if they are allowed to dock! Not good for those who are leaving in the next couple of days. A complete mess!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lindy028 said:

They are apparently due in Muscat on 13th, I presume they will try and hold off saying anything until they see if they are allowed to dock! Not good for those who are leaving in the next couple of days. A complete mess!

Agree, doesn’t help us in making decisions, could be brinksmanship if we cancel they get to keep our money and we get a FCC if they cancel we can get a full refund. Either way we would be out of pocket for flights and hotel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Agree, doesn’t help us in making decisions, could be brinksmanship if we cancel they get to keep our money and we get a FCC if they cancel we can get a full refund. Either way we would be out of pocket for flights and hotel.

Do you think it's possible that they have been cleared for Dubai and they are adding Muscat to give the passengers another port because of all the cancellations? If I don't hear anything today I'm going to insist they call corporate or whomever and get a definitive answer.

• Like 1