Corona Virus and Royal Caribbean

9 minutes ago, hazence said:

That’s not what was said. They took pains to clarify the difference between an underlying condition like high blood pressure and a SERIOUS underlying condition like chronic.lung disease.  Dr Fauchi even stepped up to the microphone to further clarify that point. 

It’s common sense!  

Yes, it was very well explained.

But they did not TELL ALL those people not to travel. They stressed the difference between underlying conditions and essentially unless you have a SERIOUS condition, they are NOT telling you to stay home.

• Like 1

Who is at Higher Risk

Older adults and people who have severe chronic medical conditions like heart, lung or kidney disease seem to be at higher risk for more serious COVID-19 illness. Early data suggest older people are twice as likely to have serious COVID-19 illness. This may be because:

• As people age, their immune systems change, making it harder for their body to fight off diseases and infection.
  • Many older adults are also more likely to have underlying health conditions that make it harder to cope with and recover from illness.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html#who-is-higher-risk

• Like 1

My wife is a kidney transplant patient so yea thats a problem but the next big problem is meds.  Lets say you go on a cruise and bring along enough meds for a say a week and then you get quarantined for much longer.  Sounds a real pain especially if your ship is quarantining out at sea.  I wonder how many of the people on the Diamond or the Grand ran out of meds or are having difficulty in this area.

2 minutes ago, zalusky said:

I wonder how many of the people on the Diamond or the Grand ran out of meds or are having difficulty in this area.

They passed out RX request forms to passengers today on the Grand. They are bringing them into a naval port and sounds like the passengers will be quarantined on military bases. The 1100 crew will be quarantined on ship which seems like a really horrible idea.

• Like 2

There is no definitive statement in that quote that older people with no serious underlying conditions have to sequester themselves at home. No one in that press conference said that.

A contagious disease that attacks the lungs is obviously more dangerous to individuals of ALL ages whose lungs are compromised. That’s no shocking breaking news statement.

No need to hype this that ALL people of a certain age should confine themselves at home.

Use common sense! 

26 minutes ago, zalusky said:

My wife is a kidney transplant patient so yea thats a problem but the next big problem is meds.  Lets say you go on a cruise and bring along enough meds for a say a week and then you get quarantined for much longer.  Sounds a real pain especially if your ship is quarantining out at sea.  I wonder how many of the people on the Diamond or the Grand ran out of meds or are having difficulty in this area.

Currently cruise lines are advising people on medication to bring an extra two week supply. If I had something super-important I'd probably bring an extra month supply at this point.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Just saw that too!    Scary time for everyone onboard.   They are all in my thoughts and prayers.     

Can't wait to see what Pence says about this latest event tomorrow.   

I am 90% certain we will cancel our cruise for later this month but will wait till 2 or 3 days before to make our final decision unless it is made by RCL or others.    Not doing anything about the other 5 cruises we have booked for 2020.    I am hoping that by spring/early summer this all is behind us.   I feel really bad for all the travelers with plans for spring break and Easter / Passover they all have some tough decisions to make especially if they fall into the high risk category.     The virus doesn't scare me it is getting quarantined that I would hate.

I've got three cruises booked in 2020: May, August, and November. Only May falls in the window, and I have no idea what I'm doing about it as it depends on how things progress. I'm in my late 40s and reasonably healthy, so not in a super dangerous category. But it's not like I want to be quarantined for weeks on end either. 

I suppose if we're at the point where cruises are routinely quarantined for weeks on end we'll be at the point where cruise lines will be shutting down, though. That seems untenable. 😞

5 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

I've got three cruises booked in 2020: May, August, and November.

We have Symphony in May, Oct & Jan. Jan was for my Grandmothers 80th BDay. Hopefully this is long over by then. So far we are still going in May unless more ships fall into quarantine and then we'll cancel for sure.

10 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

We have Symphony in May, Oct & Jan. Jan was for my Grandmothers 80th BDay. Hopefully this is long over by then. So far we are still going in May unless more ships fall into quarantine and then we'll cancel for sure.

Well I've already been poo poo'd, but I'm with the notion, this does out by the end of april, at least where it's hot like texas, but is back this late fall into the winter.

A vaccine is probably more than a year off. I heard 18 months with all the required testing.. though it's true some promising ones already ready... for testing.

5 hours ago, rabidstoat said:

I've got three cruises booked in 2020: May, August, and November. Only May falls in the window, and I have no idea what I'm doing about it as it depends on how things progress. I'm in my late 40s and reasonably healthy, so not in a super dangerous category. But it's not like I want to be quarantined for weeks on end either. 

I suppose if we're at the point where cruises are routinely quarantined for weeks on end we'll be at the point where cruise lines will be shutting down, though. That seems untenable. 😞

I think that’s the most reasonable idea I’ve seen. We will wait and watch - and if ships are routinely being quarantined, we will probably cancel.

Edited by SarahD112