Corona Virus and Royal Caribbean

9 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Most interesting that, having sailed with Viking, I'm not certain that - at least from how I construe 'high end' - I'd truly consider them to be in that category. I know many have this conception, but even though I've never been on a few other luxury lines, I suspect there might be a difference between Viking and, say, Oceania or Regent. Yes, Viking is more expensive then those that you mention (but I suspect less expensive than some others in the 'high end' bracket), and their ocean cruises are a direct outgrowth of the typical river formula in that wine, etc. is included at meals...a more 'all inclusive' approach in general - specialty restaurants included and such, but the ships are not in any way what I'd consider luxurious in terms of decor, etc. Rather, it's a far less opulent approach and a more simple decor and designing. It's something I've wondered about having now sailed with Viking - would have to talk to people who have been on other lines, such as the ones I've mentioned. 

Perhaps I should have worded my post saying that no mass market cruise lines were....as opposed to using the term luxury.  Viking is certainly not mass market. 

12 hours ago, Les57 said:

We leave in 2 weeks from Bayonne and will  most likely give up our rooms and loose our money, but it is better than the alternative. I will not subject my family to potential quarantine and death.   

I personally am more concerned about the risks driving to Bayonne on the NJ Turnpike.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

We are "due" to sail on Oasis in 2 weeks.  We are in our 70's and originally booked this 6 months ago, and yes we have travel ins. but not cancel for any reason.  DH and I have decided we will be a no show, hopefully get our taxes and fees back, but better to lose $2500.00 than our lives.  We both have disabilities that put us in higher risk.

• Like 7

We sail out of Southampton at the end of May. My travel agent called for current policy regarding cancellations. This is what she sent...

Things are operating as normal unless you were scheduled for trips in Asia.  Current cancellation policies are in tact
and no revisions have been made. 

2 minutes ago, Luke gs Daddy said:

We're sailing in 30 days. For me, I can't and won't live my life in fear of the unknown. 

Just saying. 

I might have said the same thing once but putting my kids at risk is something different altogether. For now we’ll wait and see. I just wanted to post what RCCL said today for those who might be wondering. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luke gs Daddy said:

We're sailing in 30 days. For me, I can't and won't live my life in fear of the unknown. 

Just saying. 

Some of us are concerned because of pre-existing conditions, some are concerned about being quarantined on a ship for two or more weeks and what effects that has on jobs and children that have been left at home with relatives.  Just saying.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

Some of us are concerned because of pre-existing conditions, some are concerned about being quarantined on a ship for two or more weeks and what effects that has on jobs and children that have been left at home with relatives.  Just saying.

We all make our own choices.

Just saying 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jknc said:

that’s right, blame the consumer, who made a reservation 6 months ago before anyone knew what coronavirus was. 

this is absurd.

Really not absurd at all considering the OP is traveling with daughter he/she describes as "severely disabled".  Sounds like  they definitely could benefit from at least some sort of insurance if unforeseen circumstances should arise as indeed they have. 🙂

I have been shopping for May cruises in the last week. Today I see prices have dropped by quite a bit. The May Oasis cruise I priced yesterday for around $3300 today is $2300.  Symphony May cruises out of Miami are really affordable, like crazy low prices.  Less than $2k for 7 days in a balcony.  I wonder if this is corona fear related or just normal price fluctuations.  I am hesitant to book anything at this time. I live in a neighborhood where a whole bunch of people are positive.  It just feels weird to live in the town that's on the news at night.  I am sure if we book a cruise everyone in my family will tell us we are insane and idiots.  Not sure when I'll feel more confident or what would make me feel that way.  But I REALLY want to book a vacation!  Tough decision. 

Purchasing travel insurance is a personal choice, weighing the risks versus the cost.  It's being awfully presumptive for any of you to say it's the smart or right thing to do.   This is especially true when you are "arm chair quarterbacking" considering many cruises were booked before Corona was having any impact or knowledge of the risk involved.

Each person has their own risk tolerance and financial situation.

Dan

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cgags47 said:

Are you on the 3/22 Anthem sailing?

We WERE on  May 7, Explorer of the Seas,  Rome rt, first sailing after makeover.  Royal called this morning to sell us another cruise! (what does that tell you?) I told the agent how I feel about  the situation and she was very kind and understanding.  I could hear the clicking as she took notes and assured me she will pass it on to management.

So for us cruising on RCCL and are going, do you think there are any strategies you will employ to minimize risk and still enjoy the trip?

For example is eating in the buffet more or less risk than the Dining Room?  Early vs Late?

Use steps and not elevators to avoid close bodily contact?

Any other thoughts?

Hey Relaxedfun, what reason did Royal give you for wanting you to chg from the May 7th out of Rome? And what did they suggest? Interested b/c we’re sailing on Mediterranean later in May from Barcelona and my mom wants to cancel, but I’m hoping that Royal might agree to make a chg for a future sailing instead of us losing some $.

2 hours ago, SarahD112 said:

We sail out of Southampton at the end of May. My travel agent called for current policy regarding cancellations. This is what she sent...

Things are operating as normal unless you were scheduled for trips in Asia.  Current cancellation policies are in tact

We also sail out of South Hampton late May . I don't worry so much about sailing as much as maybe getting somewhere and all of sudden boom the they so on wait you cant go back home . We plan on spending a few days in France and Amsterdam pre cruise right now everything is fine . Guess just play day to day. 

I'm scheduled to cruise on the Anthem the first week April. We have the RCL travel insurance, and at this point are most likely going to cancel. I'm waiting another couple of weeks before I make a definitive decision. Maybe things will change after the meeting the Vice President is having with the cruise industry CEO's this weekend.

1 hour ago, Relaxedfun said:

We WERE on  May 7, Explorer of the Seas,  Rome rt, first sailing after makeover.  Royal called this morning to sell us another cruise! (what does that tell you?) I told the agent how I feel about  the situation and she was very kind and understanding.  I could hear the clicking as she took notes and assured me she will pass it on to management.

That's interesting... Did they say it was to replace the Explorer sailing or just trying to sell you another one? 

I'm due on Rhapsody out of Venice on 23 May and have no idea what to do in terms of booking flights/hotels. 

2 hours ago, SarahD112 said:

That is incorrect.  There are a handful of sailing at the end of may / early June and AN out of Southampton is one of those where the final payment date is reduced to 60 days.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That is incorrect.  There are a handful of sailing at the end of may / early June and AN out of Southampton is one of those where the final payment date is reduced to 60 days.

Great. So TA passed along wrong information. Either RCCL gave wrong info - or TA didn’t ask the right question. 🙄 Guess I’ll have to call unless someone knows the answer for my cruise - Anthem on May 29 out of Southampton. 

2 hours ago, Rala said:

Really not absurd at all considering the OP is traveling with daughter he/she describes as "severely disabled".  Sounds like  they definitely could benefit from at least some sort of insurance if unforeseen circumstances should arise as indeed they have. 🙂

Maybe its just me but traveling with someone with medical risks at the best of times I would always be purchasing insurance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SarahD112 said:

Great. So TA passed along wrong information. Either RCCL gave wrong info - or TA didn’t ask the right question. 🙄 Guess I’ll have to call unless someone knows the answer for my cruise - Anthem on May 29 out of Southampton. 

I just posted a link to the thread.  I started it as it was a notice that I (a travel agent) received direct from Royal.

Yes yours is one of the sailings with the changed final payment date.

Edited by Ourusualbeach