Balcony Question

hlk08003

If you're thinking of reserving one, you'll received mixed reviews on CC.  I, for one, loved our lanai.  Convenient with great views, and of course, a reserved lounge chair.  I've booked another lanai for an upcoming Christmas cruise.

4 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

If you're thinking of reserving one, you'll received mixed reviews on CC.  I, for one, loved our lanai.  Convenient with great views, and of course, a reserved lounge chair.  I've booked another lanai for an upcoming Christmas cruise.

How are your lounge chairs reserved?  I considered a Lanai but nixed it because I didn't want strangers sitting near my door.

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

How are your lounge chairs reserved?  I considered a Lanai but nixed it because I didn't want strangers sitting near my door.

The chair squabs are a different colour to the other loungers and there is a material cover that goes over the top part that clearly says reserved.

5 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

The lanai cabins automatically have two reserved lounge chairs. You don't have to do anything.  The chairs will have the reserved signs on them.  We never had a problem with anyone sitting in our chairs.  In fact, we ordered room service lunch one day and ate it while sitting in our lounge chairs.  The traffic of other passengers walking by never bothered us.  When we booked this category, we understood that this deck isn't private, like a balcony, but we enjoyed it nevertheless.  I, for one, like watching people.  The fact that our chairs were in a public space didn't negatively impact us.

As for strangers by your door.  Your lanai neighbors will most likely become your new best friends, as you chat and exchange cruise stories.  We met some lovely people.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

The lanai cabins automatically have two reserved lounge chairs. You don't have to do anything.  The chairs will have the reserved signs on them.  We never had a problem with anyone sitting in our chairs.  In fact, we ordered room service lunch one day and ate it while sitting in our lounge chairs.  The traffic of other passengers walking by never bothered us.  When we booked this category, we understood that this deck isn't private, like a balcony, but we enjoyed it nevertheless.  I, for one, like watching people.  The fact that our chairs were in a public space didn't negatively impact us.

As for strangers by your door.  Your lanai neighbors will most likely become your new best friends, as you chat and exchange cruise stories.  We met some lovely people.  

Thank you!  I enjoy watching people also.  Might consider a Lanai in the future.

We had a Lanai cabin on the Rotterdam for a 21 day Caribbean cruise.   

When we did the sail-by of the pitons in St. Lucia,  we went out of our Lanai cabin door and found a couple sitting in our "reserved" deck chairs.   We saw them and pointed to the "reserved" sign on the wall behind the chairs.   They made motions like they did not understand English.  However, on the chair was a book the person was reading and it was in English.   After a few more hand gestures, they got up and left.  

Some people are concerned that people walking by on the promenade deck may be able to see in the window or door of the Lanai cabin.  We tested that.  In daylight, you could see nothing but your own reflection while standing on the outside.  At night, I switched on all lights in our cabin, even the TV.  I went outside and from 5 ft away, I could see nothing.  I pressed my nose on the glass door, and I could see the glow of the ceiling lights inside the cabin, and when my DW walked by, I could see her silhouette, but nothing else.  I doubt that anyone will be pressing their nose on your glass door.   If they do, call security.

If I recall correctly from a cruise two years ago on Maasdam, her lanai s/r's had white picket fences defining the private/reserved lounge areas.  Does she still have them?  I thought that was a great idea at the time and have considered booking one some time in the future. 

• 1 month later...