"Cruise with Confidence" fine print and loopholes for X

Cruizen Susan

Well I cancelled our March 15 Silhouette sailing.   Sooo disappointed, but at least I thought I was compensated with a full future cruise credit.   Wrong!!    We had a nice FCC from a cruise we took in 2019 where something went wrong in a suite,  so they compensated us 1,100. for the wet, soggy carpet we endured.   So we used the credit as part of our payment for the cruise just cancelled.   Just got an email from the TA that the FCC I used is considered "redeemed and used."    Not good will for a loyal, Elite customer.   Actually it's BS.   I will need to rethink the loyalty,  since we loved our last Princess cruise so much.....

Edited by Cruizen Susan
typo
  • Thanks 1

You need to go thru Celebrity yourself and not your travel agent who talked to someone in a Celebrity call center or their company call center. E-mail them to get a paper trail started then keep trying after things settle down.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Well I cancelled our March 15 Silhouette sailing.   Sooo disappointed, but at least I thought I was compensated with a full future cruise credit.   Wrong!!    We had a nice FCC from a cruise we took in 2019 where something went wrong in a suite,  so they compensated us 1,100. for the wet, soggy carpet we endured.   So we used the credit are part of our payment for the cruise just cancelled.   Just got an email from the TA that the FCC I used is considered "redeemed and used."    Not good will for a loyal, Elite customer.   Actually it's BS.   I will need to rethink the loyalty,  since we loved our last Princess cruise so much.....

Wow sorry to hear that. I saw that verbiage in the RCCL Release, but there was no mention of it in the Celebrity Statement. I too used $1,000 of FCC to pay for my cruise. I feel it's completely unfair that we lose our previous FCC. It's like buying a $100 item at a store using a $50 gift card and $50 in cash. You return the item and they only give you back your $50 cash and keep your gift card. I too was a loyal Celebrity Fan, but I think that's all about to change. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JuliaMS said:

You need to go thru Celebrity yourself and not your travel agent who talked to someone in a Celebrity call center or their company call center. E-mail them to get a paper trail started then keep trying after things settle down.

Celebrity does not want to talk to you if you used a TA.  Here is the fine print from Celebrity:  

What if my clients used a Future Cruise Credit to pay for their existing cruise and have now decided to cancel under the Cruise with Confidence terms?
The original Future Cruise Credit will be considered redeemed and used. Your clients will now receive a new Future Cruise Credit based on the amount paid and following the Cruise with Confidence policy terms. 

Check the Cruise with Confidence on the Celebrity WEB Site. They make no mention of losing previous FCC applied to a booking in their Q&A. Unlike what was stated in the RCCL Q&A

Edited by HBDave

3 minutes ago, HBDave said:

Wow sorry to hear that. I saw that verbiage in the RCCL Release, but there was no mention of it in the Celebrity Statement. I too used $1,000 of FCC to pay for my cruise. I feel it's completely unfair that we lose our previous FCC. It's like buying a $100 item at a store using a $50 gift card and $50 in cash. You return the item and they only give you back your $50 cash and keep your gift card. I too was a loyal Celebrity Fan, but I think that's all about to change. 

That's a great analogy.  Very unfair!  And I could have used the FCC for the other cruises we have booked in fall and next spring.  There would have been no loss.

It seems to me that your Travel Agent should have confirmed the details of this before cancelling the sailing. At least then you would have been able to make a decision with all of the relevant information pertaining to your booking.

It seems like the terms are laid out for the original FCC and it's not to do with the current CWC offer.

Sorry you lost out! but thank you for sharing because no doubt it will help other people who may have used a FCC from a previous issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, HBDave said:

Check the Cruise with Confidence on the Celebrity WEB Site. They make no mention of losing previous FCC applied to a booking in their Q&A. Unlike what was stated in the RCCL Q&A

You are correct, I had checked.   Some hidden loophole.   Please let me know how you make out with your refund!

Seems  TA was not fully up to date.  Not the fault of X unless the question was asked & ta was misled   Still sorry you lost out! Maybe your TA can escalate with Resolutions Dept

Thanks for the alert...

Edited by hcat
  • Thanks 1

More info concerning FCC. We just cancelled our cruise to the Galapagos and have a huge FCC. So to add insult to injury I was told Celebrity will collect a deposit for the new cruise we book! Doesn't seem quite right I can see paying more if the new cruise is more but taking additional money before they use the FCC. Meanwhile Delta couldn't be more fair or accommodating.

The bottom line a credit should be a credit Why is a new deposit required! 

• Like 2

I disagree, it is the fault  of X regarding a lousy policy in the first place.   Just like HBDave above said,  "It's like buying a $100 item at a store using a $50 gift card and $50 in cash. You return the item and they only give you back your $50 cash and keep your gift card."    Let's not "blame the victim" here.

Edited by Cruizen Susan

1 hour ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Well I cancelled our March 15 Silhouette sailing.   Sooo disappointed, but at least I thought I was compensated with a full future cruise credit.   Wrong!!    We had a nice FCC from a cruise we took in 2019 where something went wrong in a suite,  so they compensated us 1,100. for the wet, soggy carpet we endured.   So we used the credit as part of our payment for the cruise just cancelled.   Just got an email from the TA that the FCC I used is considered "redeemed and used."    Not good will for a loyal, Elite customer.   Actually it's BS.   I will need to rethink the loyalty,  since we loved our last Princess cruise so much.....

Sounds like you have made your decision, hello Princess Cruises...

You cancelled, not X as such used. I Am sure if X cancelled it would have carried forward.

You did use the certificate, to be sure.

For others, it is a question they need to ask before making the same move or change using a previously issued FCC...

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, sdc1127 said:

More info concerning FCC. We just cancelled our cruise to the Galapagos and have a huge FCC. So to add insult to injury I was told Celebrity will collect a deposit for the new cruise we book! Doesn't seem quite right I can see paying more if the new cruise is more but taking additional money before they use the FCC. Meanwhile Delta couldn't be more fair or accommodating.

The bottom line a credit should be a credit Why is a new deposit required! 

It is a 'new sailing/booking'...

bon voyage

13 minutes ago, Cruizen Susan said:

I disagree, it is the fault  of X regarding a lousy policy in the first place.   Just like HBDave above said,  "It's like buying a $100 item at a store using a $50 gift card and $50 in cash. You return the item and they only give you back your $50 cash and keep your gift card."    Let's not "blame the victim" here.

Other cruise lines have similar or more stringent policies in this environment, so they all get to take a hit in this regards...

Were you to know of a line which is more 'liberal' than X's in this situation, please let us know.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

Sounds like you have made your decision, hello Princes Cruises...

For others, it is a question they need to ask before making the same move or change using a previously issued FCC...

bon voyage

I could have used the certificate for either of two other cruises booked in the fall or next spring, with no loss..... The "contract" I made was to use the certificate for a cruise I was taking.  I did not take the cruise and was promised a full FCC.  In a store, if I returned the item I purchased with a gift certificate,  I would get a full credit.   This will really make me think twice about using the new FCC I receive,  to make darn sure I use it on a cruise I will DEFINITELY be taking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Also, because of the current health situation at hand, I do not necessarily believe the T & C's have changed to a holder of such/similar FCC, maybe someone else knows or has a FCC which may allude to this type of situation?

bon voyage

31 minutes ago, Cruizen Susan said:

I could have used the certificate for either of two other cruises booked in the fall or next spring, with no loss..... The "contract" I made was to use the certificate for a cruise I was taking.  I did not take the cruise and was promised a full FCC.  In a store, if I returned the item I purchased with a gift certificate,  I would get a full credit.   This will really make me think twice about using the new FCC I receive,  to make darn sure I use it on a cruise I will DEFINITELY be taking.

Hi Susan!  so sorry for the FCC situation.  I agree that is not right. 

We just cancelled our April 13th Reflection. First time we will be using FCC for new booking.  My guess is that the cruise fares for future cruises will be going up even more in the coming days so they can recoup other losses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, teltrainer said:

Hi Susan!  so sorry for the FCC situation.  I agree that is not right. 

We just cancelled our April 13th Reflection. First time we will be using FCC for new booking.  My guess is that the cruise fares for future cruises will be going up even more in the coming days so they can recoup other losses.

Thanks, Melissa!    And yes, be cautious using the FCC for a new booking,  as you can see from my experience.   I agree, will definitely be measures taken overtly like cost increases,  and covertly.   Consumer be wary....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Sounds like you have made your decision, hello Princess Cruises...

You cancelled, not X as such used. I Am sure if X cancelled it would have carried forward.

bon voyage

OH, this is fascinating......so, if we cancel our upcoming cruises on the Solstice which begin March 20, and rebooked future cruises using the Cruise with Confidence FCC, and something came up and we had to cancel the new rebooked cruises, we would LOSE all of that FCC.....(assuming we didn't have any trip insurance, etc, in my scenario).  I never actually thought about this before......wow, thanks, Bo!  Considering all of the huge family events we have coming up next year, I think we will stick with our current cruises and hope for the best.

9 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

OH, this is fascinating......so, if we cancel our upcoming cruises on the Solstice which begin March 20, and rebooked future cruises using the Cruise with Confidence FCC, and something came up and we had to cancel the new rebooked cruises, we would LOSE all of that FCC.....(assuming we didn't have any trip insurance, etc, in my scenario).  I never actually thought about this before......wow, thanks, Bo!  Considering all of the huge family events we have coming up next year, I think we will stick with our current cruises and hope for the best.

To be clear, it is only if you have used the FCC would it be forfeited.

This would be for ANY FCC received.

I would tend to believe that some accommodations will be made for use of the FCC on a future sailing  IF X cancels the sailing.

I recommend that one calls their TA or X to confirm their specific situation before voluntarily canceling their sailing having used FCC to book/pay.

bon voyage

Edited To Add: Get it in writing, from X, if possible otherwise if through a TA, a whole different issue!!!

Edited by Bo1953

This is a bad policy by Celebrity.  It increases the chance that more people will cancel earlier and avoid more FCC.. why should I wait to cancel, and rebook at this point? If I use the FCC on a future cruise, I'll lose it if something like this happens again.  

I'm still a few days away from my 90 days, but was going to wait (hoping it gets better, and knowing that we would be able to use any penalties as FCC) but now I think I'm just going to cancel.

Thank you for this information, Susan, and sorry this is happening

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

To be clear, it is only if you have used the FCC would it be forfeited.

This would be for ANY FCC received.

bon voyage

5 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

Bo, maybe I don't understand then.......so, I have 5 cruises booked now, fully paid, that we may cancel due to covid19 and we would received FCC.  In my scenario, I use all of that FCC to book cruises in the fall of 2021.  But then, I, for personal reasons, have to cancel those cruises fall of 2021 cruises.  So, do I or do I not, get that FCC back?  From this discussion, I am assuming that I do not get it back - that I "used" it when I rebooked my 2020 cruises for the fall of 2021 but then cancelled the 2021 cruises for personal reasons.

7 minutes ago, lexmiller said:
  5 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

Bo, maybe I don't understand then.......so, I have 5 cruises booked now, fully paid, that we may cancel due to covid19 and we would received FCC.  In my scenario, I use all of that FCC to book cruises in the fall of 2021.  But then, I, for personal reasons, have to cancel those cruises fall of 2021 cruises.  So, do I or do I not, get that FCC back?  From this discussion, I am assuming that I do not get it back - that I "used" it when I rebooked my 2020 cruises for the fall of 2021 but then cancelled the 2021 cruises for personal reasons.

You will not get it back, as it is considered used.

This is not to say that there can be 'situations' under which you can transfer the FCC, yet not usually, but a possibility.

If you are told that you are able to, get it in writing before doing so because after the fact can result in a bad war and bad experience for all involved.

bon voyage

Edited To Add: It may be prudent to book with a 'refundable' deposit until sure of taking the sailing and then paying the difference with the FCC. That would offer a buffer, just as long as the FCC is used within the allotted time frame.

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1