Extremely Disappointed w/ Seabourn's Behavior

Navis

9 hours ago, sanne said:

I have a similar problem with no response from Seabourn. Do you have an email address for Richard Meadows? Thank you. 

try RMeadows@Seabourn.com or Attention Kirby Lee (assistant) through GuestRelations@Seabourn.com

Good Luck, unfortunately based on our experiences with Seabourn, they are not very proactive or too responsive--best to keep trying to get some results.

This quoted from Seabourn Coronavirus thread... I am so pleased to see others fighting nack on SB appalling corporate behaviour.
I hope this is of help.. 
I

On 3/10/2020 at 8:26 AM, legal holiday said:

Here are some issues with the future cruise credit being offered by Seabourn and why it could eventually cost you a lot of money if you end up cancelling as your cruise date became closer.

1.  In order to use the future cruise credit, you have to re-book within 90 days of cancellation even though the future cruise may be up to a year and a half away.  You can't use the FCC for your deposit, so you will have the deposit as well as full amount of FCC, perhaps 100% of the total cost, tied up for such period.  Given tight 90 -day window for re-booking, you won't be able to wait for one of Seabourn's periodic super-sales before booking.  This feature alone could cost thousands.

2.  Presumably, once you book, you will have no right to cancel or to re-price your cruise based on future Seabourn discounts which are typically offered from time to time during the period before 120 days prior to the cruise.  Again, a significant cost negative.

3.  Normal travel insurance at standard prices is unlikely to be available for something you can't cancel at any time for a period of up to a year and a half without the complete loss of the deposit and the FCC, which could be 100% of the cruise cost.  Also, would insurance even cover the loss of the FCC if you had to cancel because of sickness, death, etc.

4.  In the terms and conditions for the FCC stated by Seabourn, you can't combine the FCC "with any other  offers".  This could mean you might not be able to book at a sales price even if there was a Seabourn sale and other benefits being offered at the time you booked within 90 days of the cancellation.  No suite upgrade, no on-board credit, no additional 5% discount for Seabourn club membership, no free internet minutes, no air credit, and maybe no discounted price then being offered if there is an expiration date for such price in the sale.  This is a real potential cost negative.

5.  In the terms and conditions, Seabourn reserves the right to modify or withdraw the policy at any time without notice for any reason.  Significant risk that for financial reasons, Seabourn could cancel the policy, say in April, stating that the virus was not so bad, which means you could have a 75% cash penalty (with no right to an FCC for such amount) if you cancelled thereafter because you felt differently than Seabourn about the virus risk.

6.  Finally, in the terms and conditions, Seabourn states that the FCC may be subject to "additional terms and conditions as provided by Seabourn" without any clarification of what they could be. 

If Seabourn wants customers to stick with it during this uncertain period, the policy needs to be more customer friendly.

×××××××××÷××××××××××÷×××××××××

Not being a lawyer, but as a layman, I have already posted here my dissatisfaction with Seabourn handling of the matter of these disruptions, alterations and cancellations....

To read the above, which is essentially a .... " fake credit " ,  mostly due to the restrictive and very pro SB conditions

makes me regret even considering my SB 30+ day trip due to leave in 11 days.

I thought, despite everything, that we would wear the new, very mangled and 100% different itinerary, PROVIDED SB covered the costs of DIFFERENCE of the NEW air and hotels needed for the new embark/debark ports. Reasonable ?

We asked our travel agent to contact SB for reassurance. Travel agent emailed back and has told us that SB will not contact us by email or phone me. We am just to wait and see.... in other words, 5 weeks after we return home, THEY will decide WHETHER we get any recompense...

I am quitting posting here, I have said my piece. This company is very quick to accept large chunks of $$$, promise the earth to its clients in terms of service, but apparently this is onboard only...

Back in the counting house, we are very much numbers in the SB ledgers....

Anyone who lived in a seasonal tourist town knows that you can't piss off the local regulars, they are your bread and butter.... This company is not doing the right thing its being slow and secretive in acting...

Our Australian PM, (of whom I am not a big fan), did speak the truth yesterday, a very important matter when the chips are down....

Quote from Australian PM speech yesterday...

We need your perseverance, your planning, your enterprise. We need your common sense, we need your calm, we need your commitment. But we need your patriotism, as well.

We need you to support your workers, by keeping them employed. Hold onto your people, because you will need them on the bounce back on the other side. Wherever possible, support them - full-time, part-time, casual, including with paid leave if they need to take time off during the course of the virus.

We need you to support your small business suppliers by paying them promptly. Pay your suppliers not just in time, but ahead of time, especially now.

You know what, you want to know what you can do to keep Australians in jobs? Keep businesses in business? And support Australia through this crisis?

If you are a large business, go back to your office today, pay your supplier invoices and commit to pay them even faster for the next six months.

That is what sticking together looks like.

How you support your customers, your suppliers, your employees during the next six months and potentially beyond, will say more about your company, your corporate values and the integrity of your brand, than anything else you’ve likely done as an organisation.

Enough said....

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 6:08 PM, tv24 said:

Yes, each day does bring new events.  We don't know what will happen with our 3/28 departure on the Odyssey, although we are still planning to go.

Same here  due out of Perth on 22 March on Sojourn. We will have to have a lot of faith....

(we had to cancel non refundable business air to Singapore and hotel there. Book new flights to Perth,  hotels and then air and hotel returning from Auckland to Sydney). About $2400 all up in economy for two at this late stage...

Despite buying all new air fares to match the new start and end ports, we still have to hope we can have faith in SB to refund our additional expenses....

Nil response to my first email about this, asking for reassurances before booking to meet SB Sojourn 100% altered itinerary... that was 10 days ago.

Nil response to our reimbursement and /or some info to clarify on that...

Not even an auto-response or case ID to acknowlege receipt....

Boy ,  this highly 'passenger focused' company is beginning to smell a lot like  "off..."

10 days to go, nobody wants to assist, answer questions, and altho Aussie, we are only allowed to call via our US agent, who also struggle to get a phone to SB answered, and whose emails are also ignored...

Update - agent emailed yesterday to advise SB will not contact me, thats their policy at moment...

They are not happy, we are not happy, they have the money... sounds like an 80s pop tune !!!

Time to vote with our feet....?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FROM THE HIGH SEAS said:

try RMeadows@Seabourn.com or Attention Kirby Lee (assistant) through GuestRelations@Seabourn.com

Good Luck, unfortunately based on our experiences with Seabourn, they are not very proactive or too responsive--best to keep trying to get some results.

Thank you very much. 

It is foolhardy, to say the least, to book air travel independently of the cruise line.    Luckily, if you book through a normal major airline, change fees are often being waved.

At least because of the postings, we now know the risks of booking air through on line consolidators.   
We are awaiting news about our 4/20 cruise.   We booked through a great travel agent and he will inform us of changes or a cancellation.   I don’t expect Seabourn to contact us.    This situation is unprecedented but panicking or calling company presidents about your individual circumstances and expecting results is foolish.   

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

It is foolhardy, to say the least, to book air travel independently of the cruise line.    Luckily, if you book through a normal major airline, change fees are often being waved.

At least because of the postings, we now know the risks of booking air through on line consolidators.   
We are awaiting news about our 4/20 cruise.   We booked through a great travel agent and he will inform us of changes or a cancellation.   I don’t expect Seabourn to contact us.    This situation is unprecedented but panicking or calling company presidents about your individual circumstances and expecting results is foolish.   

Dont know of your comments are aimed at the cancellation fees I mentioned in an earlier post, but FYI in this part of the world,  Australia SB does not always offer air. Sometimes SB rate is double that you can book in any class of travel WITH the airline directly, their lower fares are a no change fare, higher fares allow changes...

As we were ecpecting a one ticket flight Sydney - Singapore and cruise debarking Sydney it was an easy one flight booking.

The foolhardy part was being given no option at the time to change or offer refunding on an itinerary now starting in Perth and finishing in Auckland, passing through some insignificant  ports with less population and less interest than a stop warrants... Thence to finish in Auckland, not Sydney...and buy more flights.

Your posting is ingenuous,  as SB refuses to answer ANY form of communication, neither to I, as a customer,  nor our large and well known agent.

I am entitled to know what will happen to my added costs and itinerary questions after SB completely changed the entire journey.

The point being is that with 8 days till departure AND NO ANSWERS it is rude and unprofessional.

What you believe happens in your part of the world may well differ to my experience... a little less self satisfying comment would go further  here...

The point is SB  is not acting in any way to communicate or respond at all in any way, which makes me feel that either things are on the brink or that they dont care....

• Like 1

I am also in the same situation as many of you. Me, my mother and my daughter are set to sail on the Quest from Manaus to Miami on April 6th. My mother is 78, and while she is in good health, she is frail. I read yesterday that the CLIA is trying to get all passengers over 75 to not board a cruise ship without a doctor's note, and honestly, I can't see any doctor in their right mind giving my mother that note and sending her onto a cruise ship. That leaves me and my daughter deciding to go alone, or not go. 

We are Seabourn gold members, this is our 8 or 9th cruise (lost count), but basically Seabourn is going to tell us, too bad, thanks for the free money! If my mom is mandated she can't go, she will get a refund for her portion, but my daughter and I will basically have to eat the cost or risk it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, antiquelands said:

I am also in the same situation as many of you. Me, my mother and my daughter are set to sail on the Quest from Manaus to Miami on April 6th. My mother is 78, and while she is in good health, she is frail. I read yesterday that the CLIA is trying to get all passengers over 75 to not board a cruise ship without a doctor's note, and honestly, I can't see any doctor in their right mind giving my mother that note and sending her onto a cruise ship. That leaves me and my daughter deciding to go alone, or not go. 

We are Seabourn gold members, this is our 8 or 9th cruise (lost count), but basically Seabourn is going to tell us, too bad, thanks for the free money! If my mom is mandated she can't go, she will get a refund for her portion, but my daughter and I will basically have to eat the cost or risk it. 

We are on the same cruise as you, with the same number of cruises behind us.  We are then following on with a the next leg, a TA to Barcelona so we are a bit stuck as we live in UK, and it would only be a hop skip and a jump back home from Barcelona, and we don't want to be stuck in Miami.   I feel we are in limbo somewhat.

I do hope it's OK for your Mum to come with you, surely any new rules like that won't be so quick because many cruisers are that sort of age?

Edited by Mauzac

We are fortunate that, in Canada, "Cancel for any reason" travel insurance is available.  It's expensive but as we are learning, a great option for people with health concerns that may not be serious enough to justify a doctor's certification. 

In my professional life I have handled crisis situations involving impact on thousands of customers and I just want to give a thought for all the management and employees of Seabourn at this time. I can assure you that none of them get out of bed in the morning and decide to have a fun day and make their customers lives hell by not responding to the thousands of telephone calls and emails they are receiving. I expect that from Mr. Meadows down everyone is focused on trying to do the best for their customers in order that the business can remain viable and that they still have a job. The share price of the Carnival group has been slashed dramatically as we all know. The Board of Directors and the management have a fiduciary responsibility to act in the best interests of the company. If they don't do so then the company will go bankrupt and there will be no refunds or future cruise credit.

The logistics involved with this crisis must be unbelievable. Changes in itineraries mean not just dock facilities but also supply lines, crew changes, excursions, etc. etc. Cancellations and changes mean difficult communications with customers either directly or through travel agents. Questions will be asked and answers demanded when there are no clear answers or solutions since the global situation is so volatile. An answer given 24 hours ago may be no longer viable given, for example, the change in United States policy vis-à-vis the Schengen zone. When we personally communicate with Seabourn staff [which we are trying not to do since we are taking away from time better spent elsewhere] either directly or through our travel agent I try to remain calm, polite, sympathetic to their position and having received the latest information they have available, make my own decisions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dusko said:

We are fortunate that, in Canada, "Cancel for any reason" travel insurance is available.  It's expensive but as we are learning, a great option for people with health concerns that may not be serious enough to justify a doctor's certification. 

In my professional life I have handled crisis situations involving impact on thousands of customers and I just want to give a thought for all the management and employees of Seabourn at this time. I can assure you that none of them get out of bed in the morning and decide to have a fun day and make their customers lives hell by not responding to the thousands of telephone calls and emails they are receiving. I expect that from Mr. Meadows down everyone is focused on trying to do the best for their customers in order that the business can remain viable and that they still have a job. The share price of the Carnival group has been slashed dramatically as we all know. The Board of Directors and the management have a fiduciary responsibility to act in the best interests of the company. If they don't do so then the company will go bankrupt and there will be no refunds or future cruise credit.

The logistics involved with this crisis must be unbelievable. Changes in itineraries mean not just dock facilities but also supply lines, crew changes, excursions, etc. etc. Cancellations and changes mean difficult communications with customers either directly or through travel agents. Questions will be asked and answers demanded when there are no clear answers or solutions since the global situation is so volatile. An answer given 24 hours ago may be no longer viable given, for example, the change in United States policy vis-à-vis the Schengen zone. When we personally communicate with Seabourn staff [which we are trying not to do since we are taking away from time better spent elsewhere] either directly or through our travel agent I try to remain calm, polite, sympathetic to their position and having received the latest information they have available, make my own decisions.

Thank you for your very rational post.  Over the last few weeks the problems you outlined re: docking, resupply, etc. must have been gargantuan.  A solution arrived at in the morning may be unworkable by the afternoon. I would not want to be in the shoes of the people having to try to sort all this out.  Meanwhile on the ships that are still at sea, the crew is still carrying on with smiling faces and doing all they can to make the guests experience a good one while no doubt worrying about their own families and when they might be able to see them again.

• Like 3

I could not agree more. I have nothing but respect and sympathy for the frontline staff  it is sheer hell for them...

So who is supporting them...their Managenent? No, thos appalling mess is down to inept management at a corporate level. 

IF policies were made to allow for all contingincies, siuations and concerns of guests, including the option to fully cancel, then the Guest Relations team would be able to sort each situation one by one, clearing the decks for the next cruise and its anxious guests.

Instead, without even as much as an auto reply to emails, we are all left with no answers, and even worse, no place to get concerns dealt with.

Frontline staff are powerless to act with the tools given.

Poor show.

59 minutes ago, Dusko said:

The 9-11 attacks bankrupted several airlines. Let's try and avoid that happening this time and help out them and all the companies affected, cruise lines, airlines, hotels or whoever, by taking future credit rather than demanding cash refunds.  I know that represents a risk but think of it rather as an investment in a faster recovering economy when this event is over.

I could not agree more. To be clear, I am not seeking refund though. Just to get clarification on cost reimbursement and other private matters. SB has been blatantly ignoring my continued requests to get peace of mind...

Hiding behind a 'service' desk is poor form...

I have another issue with your post which I will take up with CC...

45 minutes ago, zimflyer said:

I could not agree more. To be clear, I am not seeking refund though. Just to get clarification on cost reimbursement and other private matters. SB has been blatantly ignoring my continued requests to get peace of mind...

Hiding behind a 'service' desk is poor form...

I have another issue with your post which I will take up with CC...

Thank you for correcting me in my assumption in inferring that you were requesting 100% refund.  We now seem to be largely on the same page.  The new cancellation policy should certainly help give comfort to all those who have bookings and help preserve the company. With any luck the end should be in sight by July.

Like many I was informed of the re-routing of the Sojourn departing Singapore March 22nd. I was advised to “rearrange” flights from UK to go to Perth rather than Singapore and route home from Hobart, Tasmania instead of Manila which I had booked. Naturally the airline was not interested and said I would have to book and pay for new tickets. Had I agreed to go on the new itinerary Seabourn would have given a more generous compensation and on board credit. As it is, because I cancelled, they will only give the price of the cruise as a future credit to be used within 1 year. However the new itinerary from Perth, Australia has now been cancelled and all passengers offered a full refund or future credit worth 125%. I spoke to TA who said because I cancelled Seabourn will not give me those more advantageous terms. I am therefore out of pocket for 3 nights hotel in Singapore, cancellation charges from my airline fare, hotel in Dubai homebound and also suffer the indignity of seeing other passengers getting either a full refund or a 125%  credit for a future cruise! This cannot be equitable, and while I have sympathy for the current difficulties experienced by cruise lines, I feel there should be a level playing field.

Much dissatisfaction is going to ensue if SB do not get their act together.

1 hour ago, Logos11 said:

Like many I was informed of the re-routing of the Sojourn departing Singapore March 22nd. I was advised to “rearrange” flights from UK to go to Perth rather than Singapore and route home from Hobart, Tasmania instead of Manila which I had booked. Naturally the airline was not interested and said I would have to book and pay for new tickets. Had I agreed to go on the new itinerary Seabourn would have given a more generous compensation and on board credit. As it is, because I cancelled, they will only give the price of the cruise as a future credit to be used within 1 year. However the new itinerary from Perth, Australia has now been cancelled and all passengers offered a full refund or future credit worth 125%. I spoke to TA who said because I cancelled Seabourn will not give me those more advantageous terms. I am therefore out of pocket for 3 nights hotel in Singapore, cancellation charges from my airline fare, hotel in Dubai homebound and also suffer the indignity of seeing other passengers getting either a full refund or a 125%  credit for a future cruise! This cannot be equitable, and while I have sympathy for the current difficulties experienced by cruise lines, I feel there should be a level playing field.

Much dissatisfaction is going to ensue if SB do not get their act together.

I am in the same situation albeit with a different cruise.

I have not made this claim to Seabourn yet but I suspect that they will not budge. I too feel that all passengers on a cruise that is eventually cancelled by Seabourn should be treated equally, no matter how and when they cancelled.

11 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I too feel that all passengers on a cruise that is eventually cancelled by Seabourn should be treated equally, no matter how and when they cancelled.

I totally agree with that. 

to hear of so many others messed around by speed of events, I am truly sorry.

SB, as airlines and many many companies has been caught up by events...

SO HAVE WE...

Still amazed at this company and it's absolute failure in communication.

It took 10 + days to get a brief reply to my queries, advising me too bad, they are too busy.... fair enough, but would it not have been easier on us and all their staff to have a policy...say:  

"communicate by email only, we will acknowledge and give you reference number and be back to you within x days. ONLY if urgent and if your cruise is within 7days, then phone us..."

Nope  so we all get frustrated, poor show.

Re the cancellations, our Sojourn March 22 is cancelled on the website, but as passengers booked we have STILL had NO EMAIL FROM SEABOURN 48 hours after announced.

We are now faced with cancellation fees on our "new" hotels and air bookings... not SB fault, but , gee wouldnt be nice to have someone contact us...?

Hopeless is no excuse when you portray a corporate image of "best of the best."

Someone in charge of communication and customer care policy planning in time of extreme events should be shown the door...

We just arrived home from one week of a two week cruise on the Odyssey. We were notified at 9:30 pm that the second week was cancelled and all passengers would have to disembark the following morning in Barbados. It was handled very poorly onboard and sadly the kind ladies In Seabourn Square worked all night attempting to help passengers, it was left to them and were met with very rude comments from passengers. Those ladies did not make the decision and were doing their best to help passengers. Now the Officers onboard were absolutely nowhere to be seen all night. It was almost as if they and the Cruise Director, JP, were in hiding.

It’s very hard to believe that anyone would select a hotel that would not allow you to cancel.   Marriott properties and Hilton properties all allow you to cancel if you do not select the low, non refundable room rate.   We would never book that rate as life is too uncertain.   Now that we are in a unprecedented worldwide crisis things are changing every hour or even minute.   We certainly did not foresee this and don’t expect any cruise line to predict the future or even respond to our queries.   The governments are trying to respond to this crisis but we are in an unknown area.   I hope we all live to see everything getting back to near normal.

• Like 3