Port Everglades Dock Worker Shortage

WonderMan3

Apparently Port Everglades is experiencing a dock worker shortage due to some workers testing positive for Coronavirus. A Princess ship departing later today (the 11th) has had its itinerary cancelled because of this. Not sure if this will impact other upcoming cruises on other lines like Celebrity.

• Thanks 1

I live nine miles from Port Everglades; following is the backstory from a local perspective...

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-coronovirus-metro-services-everglades-20200310-ocpt7i4jrzhdfkd5ilbp6sypte-story.html

The cruise terminals cited as problematic--02 and 04--are primarily used by Carnival-affiliated lines including Princess [by far, highest guest count of the Carnival lines using Port Everglades] , Carnival itself [the vast majority of their Florida-based ships use Port Miami rather than Fort Lauderdale], and --on occasion [but recently]--Costa.  HAL sometimes uses also-cited Terminal 21...

While anything can happen in terms of Covid-19 exposure, I do not believe--but do not know for certain--that Celebrity and/or Royal Caribbean use the same subcontractor for embarkation/disembarkation assistance services at Port Everglades...  

Edited by Xport

Truly sorry for misinformation in my post above; too late to edit...

After looking at several local news sources, I discovered that there are conflicts in the information I shared...  Consensus is that the comments I posted above are only somewhat accurate--the link I cited is seemingly correct--in that,...

• I stated that the third problematic cruise terminal is 21, it is instead 19...  Sky Princess used Terminal 19 recently...
  • I stated that the subcontractor is likely used by other Carnival-affiliated lines and that I didn't think--but didn't know for certain--that the same company is used by Celebrity and/or Royal Caribbean...  The article linked above is apparently correct; only Princess uses Metro Services at Port Everglades...

My sincerest apologies; I probably should not have posted in the middle of the night...  It was clearly not my intent to further confuse a very difficult/scary situation or increase anxiety...

Edited by Xport
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Xport said:

Truly sorry for misinformation in my post above; too late to edit...

After looking at several local news sources, I discovered that there are conflicts in the information I shared...  Consensus is that the comments I posted above are only somewhat accurate--the link I cited is seemingly correct--in that,...

• I stated that the third problematic cruise terminal is 21, it is instead 19...  Sky Princess used Terminal 19 recently...
  • I stated that the subcontractor is likely used by other Carnival-affiliated lines and that I didn't think--but didn't know for certain--that the same company is used by Celebrity and/or Royal Caribbean...  The article linked above is apparently correct; only Princess uses Metro Services at Port Everglades...

My sincerest apologies; I probably should not have posted in the middle of the night...  It was clearly not my intent to further confuse a very difficult/scary situation or increase anxiety...

Thanks for update, but you also made a great statement on how easy it is to get wrong info on social media. You corrected yourself but so may do not and do not look into the info that is received.  The cruise industry is in for bumpy road the next cpl quarters.  The services , supply chain,even worse I think.  

Wow! I sure hope if it affects Celebrity that we will know sooner. We are sailing Saturday and I fly from Aruba to FLL on Friday afternoon. If it gets cancelled I will stay here and have my family join me. I would hate to fly to FLL only to have this happen. 😩

• Like 1

This is from the Port Everglades website:

image.thumb.png.5c03de1502e932e064c26d635e3d5c8f.png

I don't understand why the Princess cruise was cancelled because of an anticipated "shortage of labor in the terminal at Port Everglades" yet the port website says it's open and operating at normal levels.

Also I haven't seen anything to say that a large number of port workers have been quarantined, only that 3 have tested positive and colleagues have been advised to seek medical assistance and not report to work if they have symptoms.  Other than in the notification from Princess, there doesn't seem to be anything to indicate a shortage of workers at the port.

CB has had bad luck for 3 of 4 past cruises. Starting with the one that departed on 2/2 (14 days Circle Caribbean), then ours (2/16 departure, 14 days), I think the next one did OK Panama Canal?), now another cancellation. First cruise came back 3 days early, did a deep clean. Ours still developed Noro, came back 1 day early. Then the 10 day one seemed to go OK, now this. Maybe the break is what she needs to hit some better luck.