Refund request form for Canadians

bobloblaw007

I was supposed to board the now cancelled March 8 Regal princess sailing. Princess has said they will reimburse extra hotel and transportation costs due to the issue. I have receipts for the hotel and taxi expenses, these are in US dollars. On my credit card statement, the charges have been converted in Canadian dollars (as expected). When I submit the form to Princess, should I mark USD or CAD? Anyone have experience with this? Thank you.

12 minutes ago, bobloblaw007 said:

I was supposed to board the now cancelled March 8 Regal princess sailing. Princess has said they will reimburse extra hotel and transportation costs due to the issue. I have receipts for the hotel and taxi expenses, these are in US dollars. On my credit card statement, the charges have been converted in Canadian dollars (as expected). When I submit the form to Princess, should I mark USD or CAD? Anyone have experience with this? Thank you.

Not directly experienced, but you had expenses in the USA in USD, so they are going to expect to reimburse that way by default.  But you could include the CC statement showing the CAD amounts for each of your receipts and see what happens.  Princess does sell cruises in CAD, so it would be the best way for you to get whole.  I don't think they are going to issue a refund to a CC, right?  You will be getting a cheque in the mail I expect.  Even if you get USD back, just keep it for next time you are in USA as you lose when converting back to CAD.

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up for other people's reference: I got a call from Princess earlier today confirming that they are mailing me a check in CAD. On the refund request form, I had stated the expenses in both USD and CAD (as they were listed on the receipts). Princess used the current exchange rate to convert the expenses in USD to CAD.

14 minutes ago, bobloblaw007 said:

Just to follow up for other people's reference: I got a call from Princess earlier today confirming that they are mailing me a check in CAD. On the refund request form, I had stated the expenses in both USD and CAD (as they were listed on the receipts). Princess used the current exchange rate to convert the expenses in USD to CAD.

It's good they actually convert it. They just took all of our OBC and traded it 1:1 for AUD. Not a good deal at all.

42 minutes ago, Thrak said:

It's good they actually convert it. They just took all of our OBC and traded it 1:1 for AUD. Not a good deal at all.

Was this purchased OBC or promo OBC? (FWIW the Loyalty OBC also is converted $1USD -> A$1)

19 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Was this purchased OBC or promo OBC? (FWIW the Loyalty OBC also is converted $1USD -> A$1)

Both. $250 was bonus e-cards from purchasing $US Princess gift cards. The rest was Shareholder OBC - which is stated on the forum so totally expected - and also FCD OBC. There is also TA OBC but that was $AUD from the beginning. It's the gift card OBC that annoys me.

WHAT!?!?!

When I bought 25 OBC with a $25 gc on my cruise last November it showed as 25 OBC but was A37.50 once I got onboard in Melbourne.  I hope yours is corrected

My promo OBC (200), shareholder 250, and loyalty 25 was A$475

Edited by Ombud

19 hours ago, Ombud said:

WHAT!?!?!

When I bought 25 OBC with a $25 gc on my cruise last November it showed as 25 OBC but was A37.50 once I got onboard in Melbourne.  I hope yours is corrected

My promo OBC (200), shareholder 250, and loyalty 25 was A$475

Okay.  It's worse than  I thought. They converted my $75 "referral credit" (referred some new cruisers) into $AUD at a 1:1 conversion. $75 US is about $118 AUD but they just make it $75 AUD.  As to the $250 from the bonus e-cards... It has vanished. Those credits had an expiration date by which they had to be applied. I just checked and it's April 30 so I "should" be able to get the credits restored. Since they dropped off of our Australia cruise I will try to have them applied to a different cruise next year which is more likely to actually sail. That will put them back as $US. I'm not looking forward to calling Princess but guess I'd best do that soon.

11 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Contact Princess Gift Cards Services not Princess Cruises. They replaced mine. 

Princess Gift Card support agents  1-855-426-0168

giftcardsupport@princesscruises.com.  

Thank you!  I will do that.

EDIT: D'Oh! My bad. The credits don't show up anywhere in the Personalizer but I just got a new Travel Summary and the $50 bonus e-cards do show there.  What a dork.   This is a 6 day cruise with a 13 day and a 14 day as a B2B2B. Everything is included plus there's a bit over $1,700 AUD in OBC. That sounds like a ton but when I look at the cost of any of the Princess excursions on those cruises I find that they are crazy expensive. (Of course we don't do a lot of Princess excursions...)

Thanks again for the info on the Princess gift card contact info. I have saved it for future reference. I may be needing the info as  I wonder what happens to those credits if Princess cancels the cruise or if we have to cancel. Since they are "paid" credits they would hopefully revert to our account to be use on one of our cruises next year.

image.png.2b32c99900444f77726ede6c4f7fdfce.png

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

I may be needing the info as  I wonder what happens to those credits if Princess cancels the cruise or if we have to cancel. Since they are "paid" credits they would hopefully revert to our account to be use on one of our cruises next year.

AFAIK, if you cancel and the Bonus Gift Card expiry date has passed, then the funds are lost.  I recently transferred $350 in Bonus GC amounts to a Fall 2021 booking from our Fall 2020 booking as I am not very confident that cruise will go ahead.  This preserves the value which expires on April 30 if not applied.  I did have another $50 on my booking from Black Friday promo, but that expiry date has passed so I do stand to lose that Bonus if we cancel.

If Princess cancels and the Bonus date has passed, it might require an appeal to Customer Relations if the Gift Card folks can't/won't restore.  IDK, not having experienced the situation. 

My experience,  yours may vary. I bought OBC with an expiring 50 bonus card for my March 12th cruise. Then Princess canceled the cruise.  'Marilyn' in Princess Gift Card Services issued me a replacement 50 gift card (no expiration date) as goodwill gesture. Seriously it's only good on Princess Cruises so minimal loss to them. Now it's on my September 2020 cruise (hope that happens, I've now had 3 cruises canceled due to Covid-19 but optimistic). 20200417_140623.thumb.jpg.c53cc33b47f95adc7e7c8bcefb974c90.jpg

As you've got 5 gift cards, I'd ask that they be combined to just 1. Easier to track

Edited by Ombud

• 2 months later...

One more update to close this issue: I finally got my check in the mail today. So, the timeline was:

March 11: E-mailed Form for Refund of hotel/incidental fees

April 16: Received call from Princess saying refund was approved and payment is going to be processed.

July 3: Received check in mail. Check is dated June 23

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bobloblaw007 said:

One more update to close this issue: I finally got my check in the mail today. So, the timeline was:

March 11: E-mailed Form for Refund of hotel/incidental fees

April 16: Received call from Princess saying refund was approved and payment is going to be processed.

July 3: Received check in mail. Check is dated June 23

First post I have seen saying Princess called them with that info.